Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:35 pm 

Bought the new Metallica album last night. Not the return to form that has been hyped but but not a St Anger disaster either. There are heaps of riffs and guitar solos and a normal sounding snare drum ......... but!!! the songs are not there. Unforgiven III starts with soppy piano and strings and then retreads Unforgivens I and II. Most of the songs jump from one riff to another and go like the clappers. This is a good thing. Maybe I need to give it a few more spins but I suspect that this album will be quickly forgotten and the band will continue to churn out the first 5 albums in the chicken in a mosh pit circuit. They are now a nostalgia act like Black Sabbath and Kiss.

Sad but true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm 

slart wrote:

Bought the new Metallica album last night. Not the return to form that has been hyped but but not a St Anger disaster either. There are heaps of riffs and guitar solos and a normal sounding snare drum ......... but!!! the songs are not there. Unforgiven III starts with soppy piano and strings and then retreads Unforgivens I and II. Most of the songs jump from one riff to another and go like the clappers. This is a good thing. Maybe I need to give it a few more spins but I suspect that this album will be quickly forgotten and the band will continue to churn out the first 5 albums in the chicken in a mosh pit circuit. They are now a nostalgia act like Black Sabbath and Kiss.

[color="Red"]Sad but true[/color].

Nice. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:42 pm 

slart wrote:

Sad but true.

That new song is ok (dunno what it's called but it's on Scuzz a lot)... but the drum beat is weird. Sort of ruins the song for me. It's almost out of time... but obviously it int. I know what I mean anyway.

Sad but true = tune

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:51 pm 

I've had a cursory listen, but, and this is a big but, I've finally given some significant listening time to Mastodon's Blood Mountain. Listening to Death Magnetic after that just makes Metallica feel extremely limp and dated.

I have a bit of a problem listening to music made by people who I really dislike too. They're a bunch of cocks (bassist aside, probably, although cock by association).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:52 pm 

Bastard wrote:
I've had a cursory listen, but, and this is a big but, I've finally given some significant listening time to Mastodon's Blood Mountain. Listening to Death Magnetic after that just makes Metallica feel extremely limp and dated.

I have a bit of a problem listening to music made by people who I really dislike too. They're a bunch of cocks (bassist aside, probably, although cock by association).

Sounds like a game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:54 pm 

Bastard wrote:

They are fools but for the most part they are not nasty blokes. Just deluded millionaires. I'd be far worse if it was me.

Yesterday I listened to the first Witchcraft album and Death Magnetic doesn't compare well. And these days Mastodon kill them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:59 pm 

I'm sure they're not nasty, although I do wonder about the vindictive little shit Ullrich.

They just seem like wankers. Hollow shells going through the motions with bloated egos. Another band who should have knocked it on the head 10 years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:03 pm 

Bastard wrote:
I'm sure they're not nasty, although I do wonder about the vindictive little shit Ullrich.

They just seem like wankers. Hollow shells going through the motions with bloated egos. Another band who should have knocked it on the head 10 years ago.

You're right. I take back what I said. They treated Jason like shit because he was more talented the rest of them put together.

They should have all died in the coach crash and then we would have remembered them fondly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:05 pm 

slart wrote:
They should have all died in the coach crash and then we would have remembered them fondly.

Noooooooo! Then there'd be no Nothing Else Matters. One of my best songs ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:07 pm 

Blue_Failsworth wrote:
Noooooooo! Then there'd be no Nothing Else Matters. One of my best songs ever.

It was all downhill after Masters of Puppets. They were never that great again.

Bob Rock wrote Nothing Else Matters anyway. If he hadn't met Metallica he would have given it to Bon Jovi or Motley Crue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:11 pm 

slart wrote:

Bob Rock wrote Nothing Else Matters anyway. If he hadn't met Metallica he would have given it to Bon Jovi or Motley Crue.

Didn't they even write it?!!!! You do surprise me! I've played the black album to death over the years without ever knowing this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:33 pm 

slart wrote:

saying again: load is the best metallica album ever!!!

http://waitforthewhistle.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:47 pm 

slart wrote:

Justice was their zenith for me. Not much between that and Master really doe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:55 pm 

Kirk Hammett never really struck me as that much of a dick, just a bit high-pitched and whiny!

Also:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:00 pm 

Shimmer wrote:
saying again: load is the best metallica album ever!!!

WHAT!!!!!! someone liked that album? :eek: metallica died after the black album for me :(

Trivium are the new masters, slipknot are good too there new album is not bad (all hope is gone) :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:04 pm 

Kippax75 wrote:
WHAT!!!!!! someone liked that album? :eek: metallica died after the black album for me :(

Trivium are the new masters, slipknot are good too there new album is not bad (all hope is gone) :cool:

I think the new Slipknot album is good but very Slipknot-by-numbers. No big surprises like Vol 3.

Best recent metal albums are Witchcraft Alchemy, Electric Wizard Witchcult Today and Mastodon Blood Mountain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:13 pm 

I liked Dillinger Escape Plan's "Ire Works". Fairly recent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:22 pm 

I remember the st anger video..i so wanted a prison riot to break out..

The lads are legends, but its going to be hard to recreate their glory of early stuff..

Theres been some highlights along the way but i always end up disappointed.

Ill d/l it soon and give it a shot though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm 

slart wrote:
I think the new Slipknot album is good but very Slipknot-by-numbers. No big surprises like Vol 3.

Best recent metal albums are Witchcraft Alchemy, Electric Wizard Witchcult Today and Mastodon Blood Mountain.

Been listening to 'the knot' album its alright.
but v3 was very good, and i don't care if any hardcore metal heads cain me for that..

been listening to the god of music that is rob flynn and machine head..FT'mf'W..:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:30 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
Been listening to 'the knot' album its alright.
but v3 was very good, and i don't care if any hardcore metal heads cain me for that..

been listening to the god of music that is rob flynn and machine head..FT'mf'W..:D

I love The Blackening.

One recent purchase recommened in my local heavy metal shop was Testament The Gathering. It has Dave Lombardo on drums. Don't know how I missed it when it came out. This is a must buy.