Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: David Silva
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:45 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Barrys fit and Micahs alright now i think.

Silva will miss tomorrows game and Ajax but Mancini is hopeful he'll be back next weekend.

I do hope so, I like to think he was one of the reasons we were so poor last night.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:33 am 

Quote:
For David Silva there is little left to achieve in football. At 26 years of age the Manchester City playmaker is the x-factor in Roberto Mancini's team and a star in a Spain constellation that is surely the brightest ever to light the international stage. He has won the World Cup and two European Championships, opening the scoring in this summer's 4-0 demolition of Italy in the Euro 2012 final before being named in the tournament's best XI by Uefa. And yet the Premier League's most decorated player, as hungry as ever, believes retaining the title this season would rank alongside all those outstanding feats.

In person, David Josué Jiménez Silva seems even slighter than he does at a distance on the pitch. When we meet he is sporting a shaggy beard and offers a forthright view. On helping City in their attempt to become only the third club after Manchester United and Chelsea to claim consecutive Premier Leagues, Silva says: "It would be right up there with all the other big competitions that I've won. Winning the Premier League is seen as a big thing. It would be a great achievement to retain it. I've been lucky I've won a lot of medals but I'd still like to win more."

Silva admits that securing a first league championship for the Blues since 1968 may have taken the edge off so far. "You don't have the pressure anymore to win because you have won it, perhaps," he says. "The players do have the hunger to win it again so we'll go for it." Is keeping grasp of the crown proving harder than the midfielder thought? "It is a difficult thing to achieve but certainly there's still a long way to go and we'll keep at it to win it again," he concurs.

Silva is relaxed that the group led by Yaya Touré, Sergio Agüero, Carlos Tevez and himself is yet to really fire this season, and he believes the Sheikh Mansour project is firmly en route to becoming the English game's Barcelona. The recent arrival of Ferran Soriano, the chief executive, and Txiki Begiristain, the director of football, each of whom previously held the same positions at the Catalan club, prompts Silva to say of his countrymen: "They were part of a club which won every title there was to win in both Spain and in Europe. They were part of a very successful era at Barcelona.

"Hopefully that's what they are bringing here and we can do something similar. We hope one day we'll be able to be a club that is talked about like Barcelona. It's hard to say we're close to that because, although we won the Premier League, we went out of the Champions League, but it's a question of working at it and trying to make more of an impact in Europe."

Silva's trophy count stands at the 2010 World Cup, the 2008 and 2012 European Championships, the FA Cup and Premier League, plus the 2004 European Under-19 Championship. But there will be no chance in this campaign of completing this glittering collection of major medals with the Champions League, after City were dumped from European football when finishing bottom of their group. "I can't put my finger on what it was," he says.

"All I can say is when I came to City they were looking to get in the top four, since then they have won the Premier League, the FA Cup, we have qualified for the Champions League and people can't expect to win the Champions League straight away. We've got very good players and we will get there. I wish to win it with City but one step at a time."

Sunday's last gasp 3-2 derby defeat to Manchester United has left them six points behind the 19-times champions. City lost to United after a spirited comeback from 2-0 down, before Robin van Persie's 90th-minute free-kick claimed the victory for the red half of the city. Silva places it in context: "Yes it was three points lost but there is still a long way to go, the disappointment is over with – we need to keep going."

The prerequisite for all champions is the refusal to cave in, so City's equaliser with only three minutes remaining was pleasing. "The fact is that this season we have done that, come back in the second half, the team know how to react, which is good," he says.

As expected, Silva absolves Samir Nasri, whose half-turn in the City wall allowed Van Persie's shot to deflect in. "I don't think that was why we lost," he says. "You can have one person in the wall and they hit it into the stand or you can line up five and they put it in the top corner. It was just one of those things, we don't blame him."

The big issue in City's title defence has been too many draws – six to United's none – with Sunday their first defeat. Silva says: "You can always improve, but each game has its own circumstances and I'm sure we will improve and get back to our normal self. Six points is a gap, it is a big gap. But last year we saw how they were in front by quite a lot of points [eight] and we won the league anyway. It can be done."

City preceded the derby loss with the 1-0 Champions League reverse at Borussia Dortmund that confirmed there will not even be Europa League football at Eastlands in the new year and led to severe criticism of manager Roberto Mancini. Do the players think this is fair? "We're responsible for what has happened," he says. "The way we played in the Champions League – we all have to take the blame for that. It didn't start well in the Champions League and it became an uphill task. But you can't just blame the manager."

Is Mancini still the man to move City forward? "All I would say is that since I joined City up to now we have made progress with Roberto. All there has been is progress."

They travel to Newcastle United on Saturday looking to avoid a third consecutive defeat in all competitions. There are fond recollections, however, of their last visit to St James' Park when, in the penultimate outing of the title chase, Mancini pushed Yaya Touré forward and the Ivorian scored twice to set up a breathless final day which climaxed with Agüero's championship winner in the 3-2 victory over Queens Park Rangers.

"There are good memories from last season. It's always a difficult place to go and play but hopefully we will get the same memories this year," says Silva, before declaring himself happy with his own form since recovering from a hamstring strain last month. "I'm feeling great again. Before the injury I was good, I was playing very good – I had three weeks out but now I can hopefully keep going that way."

Silva was the player of the first half of last season, living up to the "Merlin" nickname he was given by Shaun Wright-Phillips shortly after he joined the club. But in a post-Christmas dip, his uneven performances were reflected in him managing only one more league goal that season, with his opener in the 5-0 rout of Aston Villa in November only a second of 2012. Mancini has said that the amount of football Silva has played is a factor in these fluctuations.

"It is true I have played a lot of games in the last three or four seasons with the European Championships and World Cup and league," Silva says. "But you have to recover well after every game and just be there: that's football and that's the way it is."

Another issue is the ankle injury that Silva has to manage. "Yes, I do have to keep on top of it, always work on it and constantly care for it and there are parts of the season where I have to look after it a bit more, but it's OK."

Would, then, Silva one day like to return to play in Spain, where the game is considered less physically imposing? "I'm very happy at City at the moment," he says. "I've no plans to move back but you never know what might happen in the future." For now City need him: when he plays well, so does the team. The second half of the season could be his time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:50 am 

David Silva hasn’t completely ruled out making the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea, though he admits the clock is ticking against him.

The Blues’ playmaker was in superb form against Manchester United on Monday evening but pulled up with a tight hamstring in the closing stages and must be rated as doubtful for Sunday.

Silva, however, hasn’t given up hope.

“I’m having tests today and we will see,” he said. “The tests will confirm whether I will be able to play or not.

“I can still feel the injury so I have to wait to see what the tests show, but hopefully I will recover enough to travel with the squad.

It would be a big blow for me to miss the semi-final because it’s a game every player wants to play in. If I can’t play, there’s always a strong replacement that can come in for me but let’s see how things pan out.

If Silva does miss out, it will deny the millions around the world the opportunity to watch him go head-to-head with his international team-mate Juan Mata in a duel of two of the best play-makers in Europe.

“Mata is a great player, but Chelsea have a great team,” said Silva. “That said, they have more than one player we have to worry about. It should be a great game.”

David is already looking beyond the FA Cup and ahead to City returning stronger and more experienced in next season’s title race.

The Spaniard admits the standards set in the 2-1 win over United must become the norm if the Blues are to ensure the title challenge is more sustained than it has been this campaign.

“To win the title next year we have to show the fight we showed at Old Trafford and also last year we had that little bit of luck at the right time. We haven’t had much luck this year, but hopefully we will next time.

“United have done very well but we now have to concentrate on the teams coming from behind who are playing well and finish as strongly as we can this season.

I feel I’ve had a good season, again I feel we’ve not had the luck but there’s still the FA Cup which I hope we can win.

“We are growing every year as a club. With the new contract for Yaya for example, it shows how we’re growing and building for the future and it’s always exciting when we are linked with new players.

“Anyone who can come in to help the team to grow and get even better is all good for the club.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:00 am 

Manchester City midfielder, David Silva has been ruled out of Spain’s friendly against Chile on Tuesday in Switzerland after he was ruled unfit to play due to a “slight hamstring injury.”

SilvaAccording to the RFEF (Royal Football Federation), Silva experienced slight discomfort in his hamstring following the team’s training on Sunday afternoon at the Las Rozas training facility.

Silva was then taken to the CEMTRO clinic and after an MRI, it was discovered that the Canarian had a “slight muscle injury” and “as a precaution, was sent home to avoid complications to the injury.”

Silva was granted permission to leave the camp and will likely head to Manchester to continue his treatment, while Spanish national team manager, Vicente Del Bosque has ruled out the possibility of calling anyone else up for Tuesday’s friendly to replace Silva or Real Madrid midfielder, Isco, who also suffered an ankle injury and was forced to leave the camp to return to Madrid for treatment.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:24 am 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
David Silva the little man thinks big at Manchester City.
After a subdued World Cup the Spaniard is confident his talents can thrive at Eastlands

The first thing that strikes you, other than – no kidding – the darkest eyes you have ever seen, is how small he is, almost Lilliputian. When Roberto Mancini paraded his first four summer signings at a press conference last week he said he had brought in Yaya Touré, Aleksandar Kolarov and Jérôme Boateng, in part, because of their power and size. Then he turned to David Silva, sitting to his right, put his arm around him and gave him a reassuring squeeze. "Maybe not David," he said, "but this a fantastic footballer. You know, I wanted to sign this guy five years ago for Internazionale. He has kept me waiting."

The strange thing is that, as yet, Silva's arrival in England has not fired the public's imagination as might have been anticipated. Perhaps it is a legacy of the World Cup, where he started only the first match for Spain. Or maybe it was that the signing was agreed in the final week of June, when everyone was fixated on the events in South Africa.

Whatever the reason, Manchester City have got themselves a whole bundle of Jimmy Krankie-sized talent. Silva is the reason English football's biggest spenders have not gone for Mesut Ozil. He is one of the "little guys" in the Spanish national side, a player who embodies the lacerating pass-them-to-death style, where the philosophy is that giving away the ball is a sin.

Silva is the player Fernando Torres wanted at Liverpool. José Reina, another of Liverpool's Spanish contingent, says: "He might barely measure 1.50m but he has talent to die for." In England, an accomplished left foot is usually described as "educated". El Pais, the Spanish newspaper, reckons Silva has "a mine in his". Oh, and his right one is not too bad either. Carlos Tevez, you imagine, could fall in love with this guy.

He has cost £25m. Yet when City sent a delegation to Valencia in late 2008 to ask about Silva and David Villa they were quoted £135m for the pair. The Valencia president, Manuel Llorente, later told the Spanish press that Villa could go, but that he would rather carry a collection bucket around the Mestalla than sell Silva.

Yet Valencia were crippled by debt, and it was inevitable Silva would eventually move on. "Things were all over the place at Valencia," he says. "At one point we weren't even getting paid. Construction on the new stadium stopped. The time had come where they had to sell."

Silva initially had reservations about City – "the Champions League is the most important competition, it's fundamental to be involved in it," he says – but he was enamoured with the way they persisted. Chelsea wanted him, too, but City tried harder. "City were the club that showed the most interest for me. They stuck their neck out and showed the more serious interest, that's why I went for it. They also showed interest during last season so I know they really wanted me."

Mancini, he says, rang him on several occasions at Spain's World Cup base in South Africa. "He didn't have to do a big selling job but it was all very positive. I can speak a bit of Italian, so we got by. He told me how ambitious everyone is.

"I was aware that they weren't in the top two or three English teams. I haven't gone into the history too much, but I know they haven't won a trophy for many, many years. But I was also made aware of the future plans, and the type of players they are buying to match the other clubs and try to win the title."

By his own admission, his English is not strong – he conducted this interview via an interpreter – but he is taking lessons, eager to immerse himself into Manchester life. And besides, modern footballers have a way of communicating with each other even in the most cosmopolitan dressing rooms.

When Silva arrived in Manchester he had his World Cup medal in his pocket because he did not dare lose it in transit. He was taken to the training ground, introduced to the players and then shown to the dressing room. "They had put up a poster from the World Cup final," he says, flashing a grin. The Spanish players lifting the trophy? "No, it was Nigel de Jong's tackle on Xabi Alonso ... that tackle."

De Jong, in fairness, has seen the funny side. "I've spent quite a lot of time with him," Silva says. "After the final I knew this was going to be a new team-mate of mine so I went looking for him, to say hard luck. Since I've been in Manchester he's helped me settle in. As long as he saves those tackles for the games and not training ..."

Don't be fooled, though, by the fact that Silva stands at 5ft 6in, with sloping shoulders, and weighs less than 11st. Or that when Spain won Euro 2008, Reina went on stage in Madrid, microphone in hand, and introduced Silva as "that guy there, the very little one", then waved his hand by his knee, pretending to ruffle a toddler's hair.

Inevitably, in our business of cliches, English commentators will question whether the boy from Arguineguín, a fishing village in southern Gran Canaria, can handle the "physical" Premier League. The inference makes him smile and roll his eyes simultaneously. "It's not that easy in Spain either, you know," he points out. "There are people who can dish it out there as well. It's not something that daunts me in any way." Indeed Silva can be a feisty little so-and-so. Luis Aragonés, the former Spain manager, once described him as having the "biggest balls" in the national team.

Vicente del Bosque, Aragonés's successor, singled out Silva last season as a candidate for the Ballon d'Or. But the World Cup left him with mixed emotions. "I started out in the team but then we lost the first game against Switzerland and it all changed after that. I didn't get an explanation and I didn't ask for one, just as if I take someone else's place I wouldn't expect an explanation.

"But the thing is, we made the country so happy and it was just great to be part of that, even if I didn't feature much. Of course I would have liked to play more. But at the same time to see everyone so happy, so overjoyed, that was a wonderful feeling. That was some kind of compensation."

On Wednesday Silva scored the equaliser for Spain in a 1-1 draw in Mexico. He did not arrive back until Thursday evening and, jet-lagged, it is not certain whether he will start today's lunchtime kick-off at Tottenham Hotspur. But he has been bought to fix a place in the team. Silva's signing is a significant reason why Mancini is happy for Craig Bellamy and Robinho to leave.

"I spoke to Torres and Reina about what it would be like moving to England and they confirmed it will be very competitive and that it is a great place to play. Money is not the main issue here. What is important is trying to win trophies and get in the Champions League. And I know I can do that here. This club is going to places I want to visit."

The Guardian

He belongs to Manchester City.

Always proud of him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:39 am 

Out for a month? That is a blow. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Out for a month? That is a blow. :(

ooooh yes please... :whistle:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:32 pm 

We seem to have a lot of muscle injuries. Is it just that I don't really pay attention to other teams or de we have a disproportionate number?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:38 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
We seem to have a lot of muscle injuries. Is it just that I don't really pay attention to other teams or de we have a disproportionate number?

Who has time/interest to pay attention to other teams?!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:40 pm 

and it seems to me that our players always take longer to get better

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:23 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:

Who has time/interest to pay attention to other teams?!

Gallbladderesque?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am 

He's too angry with God to reply.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:25 pm 

Set to sign a one year extension to his contract

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:42 pm 

Few reports he has signed for fenebache..
What the absolute fuck..

This better be bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:07 pm 

Signsed an extension to contract
Excellent
Now if he could just sort out his haircut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:

To quote myself..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:48 pm 

David Silva puts out official statement on his personal situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm 

Ahhh for fucks sake..
Hope the little fella makes it through this tough time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:51 pm 

Aye, had been wondering what the personal reasons had been, hope it pans out ok for him and his family.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 321 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next