Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Liverpool FC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:36 pm 

I couldn't really give a shit about Suarez's handball, he took one for the team so to speak and it worked out for them. It's most everything else that makes him a twat.

Dalglish initially was just trying to do what most managers would i.e. protect their player but went about it in a horrible way e.g. victim blaming (i know the club did this in one of their statements and i'm pretty sure the fa transcripts show he said something similar) and then that whole t-shirt farce. After the report was released they should have been all chowing down on humble pie and issuing unremitted apologies but they took the scouser victim/persecution complex mentality waaaay too far and utterly embarrassed themselves. The Americans should have stepped in a long time before they did but I guess they couldn't anticipate how much of a mess Liverpool would make of it when left to their own devices.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:56 am 

Dalglish looks like a rabbit in headlights during interviews. That guy won't last long.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:18 pm 

an object lesson in adjusting what "success" is to suit your needs -

Kenny Dalglish: 'Kit deals and a happy club are as good as points'• Liverpool manager says there are many way to judge a season
• Dalglish calls for FA action over Arsène Wenger's 'diving' claim

Share 574 reddit this Tim Rich
guardian.co.uk, Monday 12 March 2012 22.30 GMT Article history
With Liverpool languishing in seventh place in the Premier League, Kenny Dalglish has been forced to defend his record at Anfield. Photograph: Ed Sykes/Action Images
Kenny Dalglish has launched an impassioned defence of his record at Liverpool, claiming he should not be judged by the club's league position alone and that kit deals are as important as victories.

Despite his success in bringing Liverpool their first trophy in six years in the shape of the Carling Cup, Dalglish goes into Tuesday's Merseyside derby facing greater questioning than at any time since his return to Anfield 14 months ago. Liverpool have won only two of their past 11 league games and, should they lose to Everton, they will find themselves below David Moyes's side.

Dalglish, who in his first stint at Anfield lived by the maxim that first is first, second is nowhere, argued that he should be judged by his impact at Liverpool on and off the field. His eventual aim, he said, was to restore the old values to Anfield.

"The club is now where it was before – each one for each one, everybody in it together," said the Liverpool manager. "There are many ways you can judge a season and the best way is progress at the football club as a whole. I don't think it necessarily relates to trophies or points.

"You can measure it by how the club has progressed and where it is, from the first team to the kids. Off the pitch, especially, the club is a lot stronger than what it was. You go off the pitch and see how much money we are getting through sponsorship and kit deals [the club signed a deal with US-based Warrior Sports in January worth a potential £300m over six years].

"You look at the academy and see how much better it is. You look around here [at Melwood] and most of the people have got a smile on their faces now. The squad is stronger than it was last year. What other areas are there to improve on – apart from points?"

Dalglish used the three Liverpool dropped at home to Arsenal in a match they dominated as a case study, although he was unimpressed by Arsène Wenger's claim that Luis Suárez dived to win a penalty that was missed by Dirk Kuyt, and called on the FA to investigate the Arsenal manager's comments.

"He never said that to me," Dalglish said. "He [Wenger] said it was a fantastic performance by us and that they were fortunate to win. I am sure the FA will look into that and take him to task for it. If you can't comment on the position of England manager, then you can't comment on someone else's player, can you?"

The question of whether Suárez remains on Merseyside, despite the sometimes self-defeating uncritical support Liverpool have given their striker over the Patrice Evra affair, may cast a shadow as the season climaxes. Dalglish dismissed Suárez's comments that he would "love to play alongside Diego Lugano" at Paris St-Germain.

Suárez may just have been responding politely to a question on French television. However, under Qatari ownership, PSG can offer the Uruguayan a massive salary and the near certainty of playing in the Champions League. At Liverpool that may be a long time coming.

On Wednesday, Moyes will celebrate a decade at Goodison Park. When it came to analysing his record against Liverpool he regretted both the absence of a league win at Anfield and the realisation that, though he has often drawn close to his neighbours, he has never really gone past them. Even when Everton finished above Liverpool in 2005, it was the year the Anfield club won the Champions League. "We have been in similar situations over the years and never been able to take the leap," he said, citing the vast difference in the two clubs' spending as the principal reason. "It might be possible that one day we could compete as equals. I would like it not to be always about money because then it would be only the richest clubs that ever win. I always hoped that somehow we could compete against that."

Nevertheless, after victories over Manchester City, Chelsea and Tottenham, this may not be the "tough season" Moyes was predicting a few months back. "I could possibly tell you in the next week or two whether we are above expectations or not," he said. "Six weeks ago I said I wouldn't have watched Everton; we weren't playing well enough or getting enough results. But we have done better; the players have dug in, we have hung in and not felt sorry for ourselves.

"If you had said then that we'd have won those three games and drawn at Wigan and QPR, I'd have been sceptical but it shows we are getting back to where we were in the past, though I hope it lasts for more than a month."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm 

i'd actually like everton to win tonight, and for them to finish above the red dippers. that'd be frigging hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 pm 

Dalgliesh does a horrible interview. I've never seen anyone so defensive and confrontational in all my life - you can't say anything to him without him getting spiteful. All the talk of players setting an example on the field - the FA should have a word with him about his appalling attitude when he's going out live on TV.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:00 pm 

Well, take a Jock and put him on merseyside for 20+ years, exactly what were you hoping for?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:10 pm 

A miracle I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:21 pm 

Catflap can be a total shite at times in interviews, see him after the Everton game on Motd??? Blimey.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:11 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Well, take a Jock and put him on merseyside for 20+ years, exactly what were you hoping for?

an unfortunate knife related accident during a mugging?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 pm 

What's happening? Suarez hasn't dived yet :think:
Everton have been very unlucky with conceding 2, definitely don't deserve that, cold even have 1 in.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:13 am 

That is hilarious Paddy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:17 am 

That is very good :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:41 am 

Paddington Blue wrote:

gerrard is killing me..that is so funny.. :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:52 pm 

lol :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:13 pm 

Former PM Margaret Thatcher was told a senior Merseyside police officer blamed "drunken Liverpool fans" for causing the Hillsborough disaster, confidential government documents have revealed.

The BBC has seen leaked briefings about Britain's worst sports tragedy.

Ninety-six football fans died after a crush on overcrowded terraces at an FA Cup Semi Final in April 1989.

The official inquiry said the disaster was caused by the failure in crowd control by South Yorkshire Police.

Letters to and from 10 Downing Street and cabinet minutes that show what Mrs, now Lady, Thatcher was discussing and being told behind the scenes have been made public for the first time by BBC Radio 4's The World at One.

For years, the families of those who died have been calling for the release of secret government and police papers relating to the disaster.

The government has agreed that this will happen.

The Hillsborough Independent Panel, set up in 2009, is reviewing hundreds of documents but they are not expected to be made available to the families of those who died or to the wider public until later this year.

It is thought there will be thousands of pages to sift through.

The most controversial issue in the papers that the BBC has seen relates to what Mrs Thatcher was being told about the views of some senior members of the Merseyside Police Force.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:56 pm 

are they wrong though? a lovely combination of criminally shit policing and too many scousers without tickets, with the probable complication of a proportion of those scousers being pissed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:32 pm 

Had any other team besides liverpool been in the final, would this have happened?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:34 pm 

everton?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:43 pm 

Drunken Liverpool fans were definitely the over-riding cause of the Heysel disaster, so it's probably quite a safe assumption they had a role in Hillsborough too. That's not to say those that died weren't innocent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next