Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 9:04 am 

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/318443/?

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has accused big-spending Manchester City of ruining the transfer market as he desperately seeks to prevent the noisy neighbours sabotaging Manchester United’s season.

The United boss claimed the transfer market was insane and City could buy any player they wanted on the eve of what could be the defining day of the Premier League title race.

With United looking for a huge favour from Newcastle United who entertain City on Tyneside today, while his own side meet Swansea City at Old Trafford, Ferguson faced up to the reality of the rapidly growing power base in the sky blue half of Manchester.

City are flushed with countless millions from owner Sheikh Mansour, and Ferguson knows the revitalised enemy won’t be going away.

It’s hard enough coming to terms with the possibility that United’s fate could be decided by his ultimate nightmare – losing out on goal difference – without contemplating the grim reality that City will have the advantage in summer transfer matters.

United and City will be going head to head for the best talent available, with Ferguson fearing a similar conclusion to last summer’s battle for Arsenal’s Samir Nasri – the Frenchman accepting the greater financial rewards on offer at the Etihad Stadium.

Ferguson said: “The transfer market has been insane for a while. I think clubs like Manchester City have created that. They can buy all the players. They can put a marker on all the players they want. It makes it difficult for clubs to be sensible.

“I don’t think there’s any chance of it calming down, no chance. And as for the financial fair play rules I can’t honestly see how they will work.”

Ferguson is looking to strengthen his squad with up to three players to compete with the latest rivals to the Old Trafford title supremacy during his 25-year reign.

He added: “There is no doubt we will be bringing players in, one, two, maybe three who knows? But no one can match City’s financial strength. You have to accept that and so we do it in a different way.
...................................................................................................................................
And United, Blackburn, Chelsea, Liverpool etc over the majority of the time the Prem has been in existence hasn't driven the transfer market up.
de Gea, Rooney, Ferdinand, Veron....?
The senile buffoon.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:00 am 

I don t ave a problem with hes qoutes, coz it s the truth. The only thing is hes trying everything to cheat for the title - "mindgames". He wouldn t say it in the middle of the season coz there s no need.

Btw. he also sold some Players for big money...Stam, Nistelrooy, Beckam, Tronaldo...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:23 pm 

He never paid £30m for Ferdinand and Veron though did he?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:43 pm 

He never gives the 4th official jip either :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:36 pm 

The bitterest man in football strikes again.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:45 pm 

Could this be cause we snatched Hazard from his grip? :TopHat1

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:47 pm 

He can FOAD tbf (Baconface)
I'd love him to retire against a backdrop of city dominance.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:10 pm 

Winston_Smith wrote:
He can FOAD tbf (Baconface)
I'd love him to retire against a backdrop of city dominance.

Looking likely too.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:04 pm 

I'd be interested to know how many times they've broken the British transfer record. I'm too lazy to find out myself though.

*hint*

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:19 pm 

Gobby wrote:
Could this be cause we snatched Hazard from his grip? :TopHat1

This....
he is shitting it now...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:08 am 

I'm With Stupid wrote:
I'd be interested to know how many times they've broken the British transfer record. I'm too lazy to find out myself though.

*hint*

They've done it 5 times, including 3 under fergie. We've done it twice; Robinho and a certain Steve Daley :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 am 

This lists it as 6 times just for Fergie himself. I'm guessing the one you mentioned didn't include van Nistelrooy, because Anelka to Real Madrid was £22m. But in terms of buys, they've spent more than anyone else 6 times under Fergie and 8 times altogether. And they've broken the world record for a teenager at least once with Rooney.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 12:54 pm 

Even if Manchester City spectacularly mess this up - in a way only they could - and cede the title in the final two matches of the season, the fact that their rivals are obsessing over the details of the Blues' achievements represents a significant victory.

Indeed, evidence that City have arrived lies largely in United's infatuation with anything that could possibly taint their success. Alex Ferguson and Roberto Mancini's chattering hand gestures on Monday night are a metaphor for the undercurrent of bickering that has trailed this year's battle at the top. Characterised by the fear that their crown is slipping, it seems United are hoping a moral victory will be enough. Ferguson has pointedly emphasised his intention to build with youth, and while that may bear fruit in the future, it will count for nothing in this campaign if the club finish empty-handed.

The primary criticism of City is that Sheikh Mansour's untold riches have skewed the competition, and that anyone could win the league with the level of investment displayed in the last four years. Of course, the numbers have reached astronomical levels, and concerns that such prolonged spending harms the game are justified. But until now it has been all about catching up. The club have needed to splash out just to even the playing field; why should they have approached the challenge gradually? Because United are outraged by the sudden threat to their dominance?

For all the money Mancini has been able to spend, he still needed to build the best side and find the right harmony. With their moral campaign, United fans may have believed they would receive the neutrals' backing in this season's title fight, but naturally, many have enjoyed seeing the champions sweat.

And no-one can question the talent City have assembled. In David Silva, Sergio Aguero and Yaya Toure, the Blues have three of the most exciting players in the league; in terms of entertainment value they have been consistently superior to United. Who would rule out enjoying this team simply because of the money they get paid every week? Even United fans must concede a tinge of excitement about the new era of unprecedented rivalry.

There is no worthy reason to consider a City title victory as being tainted. It has always cost to compete at the top. United themselves have never been afraid to spend, and neither were Blackburn in 1994/95 or Chelsea under Roman Abramovich. Even Arsenal splurged £13million on Sylvain Wiltord in 2000. Leagues are won predominantly by biros and chequebooks. The only difference with City is that the 'immediate success' market has ballooned since the last time a new challenger set forward.

Will City fans honestly care that their untold riches allowed for Carlos Tevez's absence for the majority of the season; that Emmanuel Adebayor could be discarded as a has-been; or that wages of £200,000 a week secured Yaya Toure, the driving force in a potential championship-clinching 1-0 win over United on Monday? Of course not - a legitimate star on the crest will be something to cherish.

United should be careful that the green-eyed monster doesn't consume them. In trying to find reasons that City's success is tarnished, it suggests that they are losing the battle. The mentality of champions isn't to obsess over a rival, it's to maintain confidence in your own approach. The problem for United is that when this season is compared to previous campaigns, it doesn't necessarily inspire hope.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:34 pm 

Bloody good article.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:52 pm