Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Fabrice Muamba
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm 

Well I can give a slightly more informed opinion of what it's like to be a fan at such a game.

I was at a Darlo game a few years back in the FA Cup against Droylsden. Liam Hatch went down with a suspected broken neck after an innocuous clash with a teammate and many of the players on the pitch apparently heard a loud crack - he didn't move for thirty minutes when he was eventually taken away in an ambulance. It was reported that Darlo tried to get the game abandoned but it was refused as the Droylsden manager thought it was a case of Darlo trying to escape a potential upset by getting the score annulled (Darlo were a goal down at the time). The players were visibly shocked and undoubtedly affected - prior to the incident Darlo were mounting a fightback; following it I'm pretty sure I recall twenty minutes of the ball not escaping the central third as both teams basically passed the ball back and forth. The fans weren't 'entertained' and pretty much all of the away end didn't care that we were losing - we sung Hatch's name for twenty minute as we waited for full time, then left. The prevailing wisdom in the away end was that we would rather the fixture was just conceded as soon as the extent of Hatch's potential issues became apparent. It was the worst game of football I've ever been to. I know the two incidents don't overlap perfectly but I'd guess being at the game on Saturday would affect fans somewhat similarly. The match ceases to be relevant when something like that happens. I would imagine there would be very few Bolton fans who travelled down to that game that think abandoning the game was the wrong call and I'd also imagine most of them wouldn't bat an eyelid should Bolton decide to withdraw from the competition.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:37 pm 

Well let's ask him, he's probably on here somewhere.

What do you reckon Paul, would you have carried on?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:31 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
As I said, if an actor collapsed on stage and was taken to hospital I'd expect his understudy to go on, yes.

I understand that view, and partially agree but in the most serious cases I'd probably say it would be sensible to end the match/show. For respect if anything else.

I'm not saying this to rattle a few cages, I genuinely think a lot of the out pouring of grief is self serving in a lot of cases. People like the feeling of going OTT with anguish even though they don't know the person from Adam, and want to be seen to be more devasted than the next person. It's expected of people these days and each time it happens it gets cranked up a notch.

I agree, but it isn't a bad thing. I'd rather people be like that than if they didn't care AT ALL. I feel sorry for the guy, I'm not losing sleep over it. Deep down very few people are losing any sleep, it isn't that big a deal. People still need to show some sympathy and respect however, and I/they do. Do any of these people think twice about buying clothes made under slave labour in India/China/Eastern Europe? Or worry about genocide in central Africa? Do they fuck, and I guess neither do I. The Muamba thing is just close to home, so its on our collective minds.

Don't let any of that seem that I'm any less sympathetic or gutted for the guy because I am, more so because of his little lad. I'm gutted for his kid, more than anything, and his family. How much of that is because everybody is going on about it I dunno, but at the end of the day humans ARE sheep, and thats cool.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:58 pm 

Bastard wrote:
That's just about the most Bassman-esque response you could have made. Congratulations.

players can play 180 minutes in 3 days, no argument?

and the similarities with foe struck me immediately. not least the reports of him basically being a really nice guy with a young family.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:01 pm 

I said earlier that teammate of mine had died during a game.

As 2 of his brothers were also playing it was a bit difficult to expect them to carry on. A number of the younger opposition players were in no fit state either.

We did not play for 3 weeks after his death, as the rest of the team were Muslims and they had a period of mourning .

It was towards the end of the season and we finished up playing 5 games in 8 days in order to get promoted.

Overall I have to say that everyone was tremendously supportive. The League and all the other teams were most accommodating.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:03 pm 

His heart is now beating on it's own without any medication and he has shown a little movement in his arms and legs.

Fantastic news.

Last edited by Gallagheresque on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:06 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
His heart is now beating on it's own without any support and he has shown a little movement in his arms and legs.

Fantastic news.

yessir..
i hope the lad don't have any lasting damage and if he makes a full recovery has a decent quality of life as it were..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:36 pm 

Things are looking bright....

Rob Harris ‏ @RobHarrisUK

BREAKING: Friend of Fabrice Muamba tells The Associated Press that the footballer is speaking again

Sky Sources: Fabrice Muamba is speaking French & English & is recognising visitors.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 am 

I'd like to point out that having an objective point of view about grief being over done in football is very different to being a complete and utter c*nt.

:TopHat1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:06 am 

one requires thought, the other a lack of?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:57 am 

Bastard wrote:
It's not just Ramos, it's the whole team. And I don't think they're doing it to try to save lives, they're doing it to show some solidarity for a stricken colleague.

Colleague? The don't even play in the same country. I think the grief culture in football's got a bit out of control, where everyone tries to outdo themselves. It's a tragidy for the person's family, friends and people who knew him, not entire nations. It doesn't happen in any other profession. Somewhere in the world someone dies through lack of clean water every 3 seconds or something, and nobody bats an eyelid. I think minute silences have lost their significance a bit too due to the frequency of them these days.

I also don't think the game should've been called off. 40,000 people given up their Saturday to get to a football ground in North London (and White Hart Lane is more difficult to get to than most), 3,000 Bolton fans having travelled 4 hours to London turning round and do the same journey back. For a couple of hundred school kids it will have been their first ever game. He's in the best hands, I don't think he'd want the game to be abandoned. I wouldn't anyway. Fair enough if the players were too grief stricken to carry on, but they're professionals, I'm sure they could've kicked a ball around for another half. Something similar happened when I worked at Sainsburys, some lad who worked on the back door collapsed with heart failure and we weren't all sent home and the store shut.

Can't believe I missed all this. SEC, do you seriously think the game should have gone on? Everyone in the ground and on the pitch saw what was happening. I'm sure whoever was with this guy when he collapsed at Sainso's was probably sent home

Oh, and heart failure is not a cardiac arrest. All about ejection fractions, innit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 am 

I think he was fortunate that he collapsed in the middle of a match. do it in the street and there are not that many doctors medics and defibrillators walking past are there?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:43 am 

You're more likely to survive an IED blast in remotest Helmand than being hit by a bus in the centre of London

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 am 

survival odds increase in any other city mind.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:57 am 

Bolton Boss Owen Coyle has said that Fabrice Muamba is now up and walking round.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 pm 

Discharged from Hospital today. Hope he continues to recover and get back to As fuller health as he can.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:33 pm 

Just been announced that he is to retire from professional football after talking to some medical people.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:26 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
some medical people.

Doctors, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Gallagheresque wrote:
some medical people.

Doctors, perhaps?

Meant to say his medical people, me mind was elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 pm 

That's really sad :( Poor fellah