Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gareth Barry
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:24 am 

He's landed himself in a bit of a tricky situation hasn't he?? :D

Proof that players should keep their big gobs shut until transfers are done and dusted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 am 

ESM wrote:
He's landed himself in a bit of a tricky situation hasn't he?? :D

Proof that players should keep their big gobs shut until transfers are done and dusted.

Latest?:confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
Latest?:confused:

Reported on Talksport this morning that Liverpool have cooled their interest because of Alonso's move to Juve falling through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:28 am 

ESM wrote:
Reported on Talksport this morning that Liverpool have cooled their interest because of Alonso's move to Juve falling through.

Ha! I bet Martin O'Neill enjoyed his cornflakes this morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:32 am 

Cloudyshin O'Watra wrote:
Ha! I bet Martin O'Neill enjoyed his cornflakes this morning.

Indeed. From The Express.

EXCLUSIVE: REDS SWITCH FOCUS FROM BARRY

BARRY: Could miss out
Thursday July 17,2008
By Paul Joyce It was a grim day for Gareth Barry yesterday, as the Aston Villa outcast injured himself on his first day back at training – and Liverpool have switched concentration to a £20million move for Robbie Keane.

While Barry was limping out of his return to training, Liverpool stepped up their pursuit of Spurs striker Keane with an improved bid.

He has already confided in close friends at Tottenham that he expects to start the season at Anfield and Rafa Benitez will now switch the focus of his rebuilding plans, after becoming frustrated by the Barry saga.

Benitez sees Keane, 28, as an ideal foil for Fernando Torres and knows he only has the funds to sign either Keane or Barry.

He cannot complete both deals without raising cash by trimming his squad and the impasse with Villa has pushed Benitez towards sealing a deal for Keane first.

Liverpool retain their interest in Barry, but the inflexibility of Villa boss Martin O’Neill means his hopes are now in limbo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:44 am 

Wonder how he injured himself ?

a 'mis timed' tackle from a team mate perhaps

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:26 am 

Players like Barry would do well do realise their limitations. We see it time and time again. If he went to Liverpool, in a couple of years he'd end up at Portsmouth or Newcastle. Personally I'd rather stay at Villa and be a hero for the remainder of my career. (Burnt his bridges now, mind)

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:30 am 

Got Lucky wrote:
Players like Barry would do well do realise their limitations. We see it time and time again. If he went to Liverpool, in a couple of years he'd end up at Portsmouth or Newcastle. Personally I'd rather stay at Villa and be a hero for the remainder of my career. (Burnt his bridges now, mind)

Conker. We've seen it with SWP, Sidwell, even Barton to an extent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:37 am 

ESM wrote:
Conker. We've seen it with SWP, Sidwell, even Barton to an extent.

I think it is different. Barry has been a good player for Villa for about ten years. He had a great season which was recognised by a place in the England team and a move to a top club. I think Villa slapping an unrealistic £20m price tag on him was unfair. This move wasnt about money, it was about fulfilling ambitions, and personally, i think he deserves the chance to play at a bigger club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
I think it is different. Barry has been a good player for Villa for about ten years. He had a great season which was recognised by a place in the England team and a move to a top club. I think Villa slapping an unrealistic £20m price tag on him was unfair. This move wasnt about money, it was about fulfilling ambitions, and personally, i think he deserves the chance to play at a bigger club.

How is it different? We are still talking about a player who ultimately ain't good enough to command a regular spot in a top four side, and who will end up at a no-mark club in a season or two. If he realised that he'd be a happier bunny.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:40 am 

yeah he's fucked himself right up with this one. How can he go and claim he wants to still be a Villa player now. I think the villa fans might give him the bird from now on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 am 

Bluewythy wrote:

Not true.

He has come good under MO'N, before his arrival he was average. MO'N has nurtured him, found his ideal position and made him club captain.
As for asking for £20m, (although I believe it's £17m), why the fuck shouldn't they? He's under contract and an England international.

Would you accept £15m for Micah just because you wouldn't want to stand in the way of him joining a top 4 club?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:47 am 

ESM wrote:
Not true.

He has come good under MO'N, before his arrival he was average. MO'N has nurtured him, found his ideal position and made him club captain.
As for asking for £20m, (although I believe it's £17m), why the fuck shouldn't they? He's under contract and an England international.

Would you accept £15m for Micah just because you wouldn't want to stand in the way of him joining a top 4 club?

ive always rated barry, he's been highlighted because o'neill brought in better players. id accept barry leaving in the same way id accept distin or dunne leaving. he's done a good solid job for them. id accept £25m for micah if he wanted to go. as micah is better and younger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
ive always rated barry, he's been highlighted because o'neill brought in better players. id accept barry leaving in the same way id accept distin or dunne leaving. he's done a good solid job for them. id accept £25m for micah if he wanted to go. as micah is better and younger.

But would we get it? Players have too much power, they can effectively manufacture their own transfers driving down the fee so the club is left counting the cost. Look at the Ronaldinho/Barca/AC situation. Plus do you really think Real will end up paying £70m for ladyboy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:52 am 

Bluewythy wrote:

Barry's always shown potential but as ESM said he's only come good under Martin Oneill and thats all he's been for me good no better, Benitez makes some weird signings and sell to sell Alonso for £12m and sign Barry for £18m would be laughable. If Barrys worth £18m Micah is worth far more than £25m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:56 am 

ESM wrote:
But would we get it? Players have too much power, they can effectively manufacture their own transfers driving down the fee so the club is left counting the cost. Look at the Ronaldinho/Barca/AC situation. Plus do you really think Real will end up paying £70m for ladyboy?

i know clubs lose out when a top player forces through a transfer. i just feel differently about Barry. In this scenario I see him as an honest bloke who's been good at villa for a number of years. But he only gets one career, and this is the one opportuniy to play at the next level, to experience the champions league and to win trophies.

I dont think we will agree on this :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:57 am 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Barry's always shown potential but as ESM said he's only come good under Martin Oneill and thats all he's been for me good no better, Benitez makes some weird signings and sell to sell Alonso for £12m and sign Barry for £18m would be laughable. If Barrys worth £18m Micah is worth far more than £25m.

that was my point that he has been overvalued so much that itd be laughable for liverpool to buy him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:59 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
that was my point that he has been overvalued so much that itd be laughable for liverpool to buy him.

Wonder how much he would be worth if he were foreign, or even how much elano and petrov would cost if they were English

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:00 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
i know clubs lose out when a top player forces through a transfer. i just feel differently about Barry. In this scenario I see him as an honest bloke who's been good at villa for a number of years. But he only gets one career, and this is the one opportuniy to play at the next level, to experience the champions league and to win trophies.

I dont think we will agree on this :D

Is can see Liverpool slipping backwards next season, I suspect the 4th spot to be a far harder fought battle than in previous seasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:02 am 

ESM wrote:
Is can see Liverpool slipping backwards next season, I suspect the 4th spot to be a far harder fought battle than in previous seasons.

spending all their money on barry and keane. id be disappointed if they were city's main targets!