Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 am 

I was not a dirty player, says Manchester United's Paul Scholes• 'Bad timing' to blame for poor tackling
• 'I have never been nasty,' says midfielder

Tweet this Press Association guardian.co.uk, Monday 13 June 2011 16.12 BST Article history
Paul Scholes has defended his reputation and said he was not a dirty player during his 17-year Manchester United career. Photograph: Carl Recine/Action Images
Paul Scholes has rejected criticism that his wild tackling was motivated by malice. The former Manchester United midfielder, who announced his retirement last month, won 10 Premier League titles at Old Trafford and while he was cherished for his passing and vision and praised by Xavi and Zinedine Zidane, his occasionally dangerous tackling left him with a reputation for dirty play.

Although overall, he was hugely complimentary, the Arsenal manager, Arsène Wenger, claimed Scholes had a "dark side". And following the final red card of his career, for a thigh-high challenge on Pablo Zabaleta in United's FA Cup semi-final defeat by Manchester City at Wembley in April, even Sir Alex Ferguson admitted "the red mist sometimes descends" on the 36-year-old.

Yet Scholes, whose 90 yellow cards make him the third most-booked player in Premier League history, feels his reputation is unwarranted. "I have just been unlucky," he said. "I never had red mist against anybody. The one against Zabaleta, I didn't do on purpose. It was just bad timing.

"The ball was up there and the way your leg goes it has to come down and unfortunately it came down on his leg. I would never intentionally try to hurt somebody. Nobody has ever had to go off following one of my tackles and nobody has broken their leg. I have never been nasty."

Ferguson noted that it was typical that Scholes' retirement should be announced when he had disappeared on holiday, with the minimum of fuss, in the wake of United's Champions League final defeat by Barcelona. He has now returned to explain his reasons, pointing out that it was his body, rather than frustration at being used so sparingly, that led to his decision.

"I knew it was the right time to happen," he said. "You can't go on forever. It's all done now and I am looking towards the future. There wasn't one moment in particular. There were a few games later in the season where I didn't feel great, and in training as well. In general it was the way I felt.

"Nobody wants to play a bit-part, but I'd realised that at this stage of my career and where I was physically, it was the right way to use me. But, it wasn't the odd game, I was only actually feeling good when I was coming on for the last 15 or 20 minutes at the end of matches, which wasn't right."

It wrecked any hope of turning out for hometown club Oldham, and instead has led Scholes towards a coaching career, even if, at present, he does not have the badges. In fact, thus far, Scholes has not been told by Ferguson exactly what role he has planned for him, and which team it involves.

What has been sorted is a testimonial match against New York Cosmos at Old Trafford on 5 August, which will mark the return of Eric Cantona, Cosmos's director of football who hope to gain an MLS franchise in 2013.

"The plan was for Eric to come back and overshadow me," said Scholes. "Hopefully everyone will be concentrating on him and I can just mosey off somewhere and be out of the way. Seriously, the Cosmos are just getting back together again and it seemed a sensible thing to do.

"He was a big influence on a lot of the United lads' careers. We grew up watching him and then trained with him. He led by example and it will be great to have him back."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:58 am 

blue mooner 1988 wrote:
So as most most Rag fans say he was the greatest midfielder of his generation, Well he must be because Zidane said so. No he was not the best midfielder of his generation so overrated.

had to come back to this.

boy do you talk some shite.

scholes was hugely underrated in this country. most other national teams would've been built around him, instead we consistently played him out of position. zidane is about as qualified an opinion as you can get as well, whereas you? name 3 better midfielders.

he's a ginger rag bastard, but in an age of agents he only ever negotiated contracts with his accountant and the club's representatives.

in other words - fuck off.
Danny's Studs wrote:
Quite scary is that you edited this, how did did it read before you changed it?!

was just shorter. underlined was added in. atypical post really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:40 pm 

great player undoubtedly

dirty little ginger bastard - oh yes. oh yes indeed.

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:47 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

So was the post typical or atypical? I'm confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:52 pm 

lack of a i'm afraid, an invisible typo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:51 am 

he's not gone!

Paul Scholes: What's the point of Arsenal's football if they don't win?The former Man Utd midfielder tips a challenge from Chelsea and Man City but says Arsenal flatter to deceive

Tweet this reddit this
Louise Taylor guardian.co.uk, Monday 4 July 2011 23.01 BST Article history
Paul Scholes says he had not heard of André Villas-Boas until this summer. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto/Sportsphoto Ltd./Allstar
Paul Scholes was unaware of André Villas-Boas's existence before this summer but the latest recruit to Manchester United's coaching staff has swiftly identified Chelsea's latest manager as their most dangerous opponent.

Arsenal, meanwhile, pose a considerably smaller threat, according to the former midfielder. "They just flatter to deceive," said the 36‑year‑old, who is scheduled to start a reserve coaching role in September. "They may play the prettiest football but it doesn't always produce the results they need. It doesn't irritate me that people say they're the best footballing team because, while they're doing that, we're winning games.

"They do play the best football to watch at times, but what is the point if you are not winning anything? Not only that, they are potentially going to lose their best players, in [Cesc] Fábregas, [Samir] Nasri and [Gaël] Clichy."

While Scholes "hopes" Nasri is bound for Old Trafford, other contenders to effectively replace the former England midfielder include Wesley Sneijder and Luka Modric. "These are top players," Scholes said. "Especially Sneijder who has done it at the World Cup."

The recently retired midfielder, who is adapting to the "weirdness" of missing pre-season training for the first time in two decades, added: "On the domestic front I expect United's main challengers to be Chelsea and [Manchester] City. I'd never even heard of the new manager at Chelsea but the way he's spoken has been impressive.

"He comes across as someone who knows exactly what he wants and he has had a good grounding with [José] Mourinho and Bobby Robson. City will be looking to build on the progress they made last season."

Scholes's exceptional talent has always been matched by rare humility and, typically, he said it is "nice" to be bracketed alongside that trio. Not merely modest but thoroughly loyal, too, he eagerly endorses Ferguson's latest recruits, Ashley Young, Phil Jones and David de Gea. "Ashley Young looks a top player and Phil Jones is a top prospect. The keeper I don't know too much about but hopefully the manager has chosen the right one."

Whoever plays around him, Scholes feels Wayne Rooney remains integral to United's hopes of continued domestic dominance but suggested that the time has come for the England forward to raise his personal bar. "Wayne can still go up several notches, for sure. We haven't seen the best of him yet. There can still be an improvement in every aspect of his game. He's capable of being the same for us as Messi is for Barcelona, that's how good he is.

"When his head's right and he's right physically, he can do real damage. As he gets stronger and older in the next two or three years hopefully we'll see the best of him. He'll never lose those moments of hot-headedness but, when he's on his game, he can go week after week scoring goals and being brilliant."

Barcelona exert something of a monopoly on brilliance and Scholes was brutally frank about the disappointment of United's defeat in the Champions League final to the Spaniards in May. "It was bad. We felt we were a million miles away from them. Bridging the gap with Barcelona is definitely the manager's biggest challenge now.

"The biggest thing about Barcelona players is their unselfishness. Messi is the one who scores 50 goals a year but, among the group, he is not the big star. They are just an unselfish team in which not one of them is out for glory."

In other words, quintessentially Scholes-esque.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 pm 

had to come back to this.

boy do you talk some shite.

scholes was hugely underrated in this country. most other national teams would've been built around him, instead we consistently played him out of position. zidane is about as qualified an opinion as you can get as well, whereas you? name 3 better midfielders.

he's a ginger rag bastard, but in an age of agents he only ever negotiated contracts with his accountant and the club's representatives.

in other words - fuck off.

Can't think of a post I've ever underlined tbh so fuck off

Why is Zidane as qualified an opinion as you can get? Becasue he was a great footballer and they're renowned for their brains.

3 better midfielders. Gerrard, Viera and Jim whitley.

Only just seen this post btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:11 pm 

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"][font="Impact"]Fight!!!![/font][/color][/SIZE]

and

[SIZE="5"][color="Magenta"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Zing!!!!!![/font][/color][/SIZE]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:38 pm 

Bastard wrote:
[SIZE="6"][color="Red"][font="Impact"]Fight!!!![/font][/color][/SIZE]

and

[SIZE="5"][color="Magenta"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Zing!!!!!![/font][/color][/SIZE]

lol
blue mooner 1988 wrote:
Can't think of a post I've ever underlined tbh so fuck off

Why is Zidane as qualified an opinion as you can get? Becasue he was a great footballer and they're renowned for their brains.

3 better midfielders. Gerrard, [color="Red"]Viera[/color] and[color="DeepSkyBlue"] Jim whitley[/color].

Only just seen this post btw.

no, not the underlining more the "overrated" bit. considering the quotes from managers in a variety of other leagues or national teams, saying they would've built a team around scholes rather than fuck about like we did and play him everywhere would lead me to say more underrated, at least by everyone outside of united. zidane would know class if he saw it, you only need to be a footballer to be able to tell if another footballer is good, not have a phd in atmospheric physics. being a good footballer should make you more qualified.
a possible
[color="red"]a good but not really[/color]
[color="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]a lol[/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:13 pm 

lol

no, not the underlining more the "overrated" bit. considering the quotes from managers in a variety of other leagues or national teams, saying they would've built a team around scholes rather than fuck about like we did and play him everywhere would lead me to say more underrated, at least by everyone outside of united. zidane would know class if he saw it, you only need to be a footballer to be able to tell if another footballer is good, not have a phd in atmospheric physics. being a good footballer should make you more qualified.
a possible
[color="red"]a good but not really[/color]
[color="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]a lol[/color]

Not at all plenty of great footballers make shit managers because they cant pick a decent player out.

Also great footballers perform internationally (and before the oh he was played out of position card is played he was hardly played left back or in the net he should have adapted, like great players do) and have even the smallest ability to make a tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:13 am 

so we now have to endure decades of rat boy and ginger bastard pontificating to the press? just fuck off and play with yourselves you fucking mongs

mong is today's word of the day

Aguero