Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:04 am 

he can fuck off and spurs can fuck off,

if this twat ever manages my country, i'm supporting scotland

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 am 

Timpblue wrote:
he can fuck off and spurs can fuck off,

if this twat ever manages my country, i'm supporting scotland

that's really pushing it a bit.
would you really want to be associated with this?
Typical Scotland supporters

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 am 

have you hacked my facebook profile?

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:43 am 

I support Italy anyway. England have been shit for years. At least Italy are entertaining, play acting, diving, hand balls, red cards, you name it they got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:56 am 

er

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 pm 

Harry Redknapp trial: Manager was 'tired of slurs' Prosecutors said Mr Redknapp kept the Monaco account a secret from his accountant Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Redknapp 'kept account a secret'
Redknapp 'avoided tax on bungs'
Harry Redknapp's life in football
Harry Redknapp told a Premier League inquiry he was "sick and tired" of slurs on his name, a court has heard.

Nigel Layton, of the Quest inquiry, told Southwark Crown Court Mr Redknapp had voluntarily handed over details about a Monaco-based account.

Tottenham boss Mr Redknapp is accused of receiving "bungs" from former Portsmouth chairman Mr Mandaric while he was manager at the south coast club.

Mr Redknapp and Mr Mandaric deny charges of cheating the public revenue.

The court previously heard that Mr Redknapp, 64, had a bank account in Monaco in the name of "Rosie 47" - a combination of his pet dog's name and the year of his birth - which he allegedly kept secret from his accountant for four-and-a-half years.

The third day of the hearing began with the prosecution claiming that statements given by Harry Redknapp and Milan Mandaric, 73, about the account were "contradictory" and "inconsistent".

John Black QC asked jurors whether there was any good reason for the bank account to have been opened using the name of Mr Redknapp's dog.

He also asked whether is was credible for Mr Redknapp not to mention the existence of the account to his own accountant.

Mr Black told the court: "At the heart of the Crown's case is the fact that no tax was paid."

"Both payments were employment related and were therefore taxable."

'Offshore bonuses'

He asked if there was any credibility in Mr Mandaric's claim to police that the money paid to Mr Redknapp had been a loan when Mr Redknapp had been under the impression that it was a bonus.

Earlier in the trial, the prosecution told the court Mr Redknapp received $295,000 (about £189,000) which he had no intention of declaring for tax purposes.

He was paid "bungs or offshore bonuses" into the Monaco account by Mr Mandaric, it was claimed.

The trial continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:21 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:45 pm 

I actually just LOL'd. That's not a token teen facebook 'lol', that's a 'people in the office turning around to see what that dude is laughing at lol'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:17 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I actually just LOL'd. That's not a token teen facebook 'lol', that's a 'people in the office turning around to see what that dude is laughing at lol'.

me too, there's a couple fo things people have posted referring to everyone's favorite tax dodger* that have made me laugh.

*Allegedly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:31 pm 

The whole thing with onest arry the loveable barra boy from landin is that i cant help feel a bit of deja vu?

You know, its just........ah yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.

In the end, they achieved survival with a 15th place finish, but were soon under investigation for financial irregularities which had allegedly taken place in the 1980s when Irving Scholar was still chairman. In June, they were found guilty of making illegal payments to players and received the heaviest punishment ever dished out to an English club - a £600,000 fine, 12 league points deducted for the 1994-95 season, and a ban from the 1994-95 FA Cup. However, the points deduction and FA Cup ban were later quashed on appeal, although the fine was increased to £1,500,000.

and

A clash of personalities developed and Sugar dismissed Venables on 14 May 1993, over his business dealings. After gaining a temporary injunction, he was reinstated, but lost a 3-day high court hearing and ordered to pay costs.[1]

Portsmouth; chairman (1997–1998)

Venables combined his duties with Australia for a period as consultant and then chairman at Portsmouth. He purchased a 51% controlling interest in the club for £1 in February 1997, but left in controversial circumstances 11 months later. His company Vencorp received a £300,000 bonus in the summer of 1997 and he is thought to have been paid around £250,000 upon leaving the club, but he left them bottom of Division One.[7]

Although Portsmouth avoided relegation 1997–98, their financial situation worsened and they were in real danger of bankruptcy, until being taken over by Milan Mandarić in late 1999.

Anyone see a link here?:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:22 pm 

racist prejudice card 'arry? no 'arry, it's not because you're a cockney, it's because your a fucking crook. allegedly.

Harry Redknapp trial told manager 'sick and tired' of suspicion
Tottenham manager told previous inquiry into Premiership transfer 'bungs' he felt victimised because of his cockney accent
Tweet this

reddit this Esther Addley guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 January 2012 15.06 GMT Article history About this articleClose Harry Redknapp trial told manager 'sick and tired' of suspicion
This article was published on guardian.co.uk at 15.06 GMT on Wednesday 25 January 2012. A version appeared in the Guardian on Thursday 26 January 2012. It was last modified at 19.35 GMT on Wednesday 25 January 2012.
Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham Hotspur manager, was said to have told the Quest inquiry in 2006: 'If there's any mud to be thrown I seem to be on the end of it, for some reason.' Photograph: Andy Rain/EPA
Harry Redknapp believed he was the subject of innuendo and continued investigation into his financial affairs because he spoke with a cockney accent and was called "Harry", Southwark crown court has been told.

The Tottenham Hotspur manager had told investigators looking into corruption in the Premier League in 2006 that he was "sick and tired" of suspicion repeatedly falling on him.

A jury heard on Wednesday that he had told Nigel Layton from the firm Quest, which was conducting the investigation into alleged "bungs" associated with Premiership transfers, that a friend had told him: "Harry, I can't believe it's always you. The problem with you is you're named Harry and you have a cockney accent."

"People don't know me," Redknapp had continued, "and I'm getting sick and tired of it … If there's any mud to be thrown I seem to be on the end of it, for some reason."

Redknapp had previously been under investigation in relation to a £300,000 bonus he had received while manager of West Ham, after selling the player Rio Ferdinand to Leeds. He later moved to Portsmouth FC.

Questioned by Layton on 6 November 2006, he had disclosed that he had an offshore account in Monaco which he had opened in 2002 in order to receive a payment from his then chairman at Portsmouth, Milan Mandaric, of $145,000 (£93,000). A second deposit of $150,000 was later paid in by Mandaric.

The two men are accused of cheating the public finances by avoiding paying tax and national insurance on the sums, which the Crown says should be regarded as part of Redknapp's remuneration while manager of Portsmouth.

They deny the charges.

Layton told the court that the Quest inquiry had no powers to compel managers, players and agents to reveal details of their finances, but that Redknapp had "voluntarily" allowed him to examine some of his bank details.

He told John Kelsey-Fry QC, acting for Redknapp, that the manager had given "complete co-operation", and that the payments from Mandaric to Redknapp into the Monaco account had been outside the scope of the Quest investigation.

Earlier, the jury of four women and eight men had been told that the explanations offered by Redknapp and Mandaric as to the reasons behind the payments were "contradictory, inconsistent and lacking in credibility".

Redknapp has insisted that the sums were paid as part of his bonus entitlement after selling another player, Peter Crouch. Mandaric, however, told investigators they were a "personal gesture … away from football, away from Portsmouth", in which he loaned Redknapp the money as capital for him to invest, with any profits going to the manager.

Completing his opening remarks, prosecutor John Black QC, asked the jury to consider a succession of issues including: Redknapp's decision to use a codename for the Monaco account, his failure to notify Revenue and Customs for six years, and his repeated acceptance of Portsmouth FC's liability to pay tax on employment-related payments.

He asked the jury to consider Mandaric's suggestion the money was a gift and his later efforts to make it appear to be a loan.

Black described a letter sent by the former Portsmouth chairman to Redknapp asking for repayment of $145,000 as an "attempt to create a paper trail", adding that if avoiding tax was "that easy then any self-owned business could slash its wage bill" by paying employees' wages out of the owner's personal account, then claiming they were gifts made out of "love and affection".

The jury was played tapes of a number of telephone interviews between a former News of the World journalist and Mandaric and Redknapp in 2009, in which the journalist admitted he had used "flattery, friendship and a bit of kidology" to persuade them to tell him more about the offshore account.

Asked to define "kidology", Rob Beasley, then chief sports writer at the newspaper, described it as "a situation where you allow people to maybe believe that you have more information than you actually do".

He told the court he had paid £8,000 to a confidential source who had supplied details of the payments and alerted him that Redknapp was believed not to have paid tax on the sums. Asked by Kelsey-Fry whether his source was a member of City of London Police or of Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, both of which were engaged in an investigation into the men, he said: "Absolutely not."

A story based on his interviews was published in the now defunct newspaper on October 4, 2009, in which he reported that Redknapp was set to be questioned again by HMRC officials over his offshore accounts, and that lawyers and investigators were planning a summit to consider how best to proceed, the court heard.

The case continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
The whole thing with onest arry the loveable barra boy from landin is that i cant help feel a bit of deja vu?

You know, its just........ah yes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tottenham_Hotspur_F.C.

In the end, they achieved survival with a 15th place finish, but were soon under investigation for financial irregularities which had allegedly taken place in the 1980s when Irving Scholar was still chairman. In June, they were found guilty of making illegal payments to players and received the heaviest punishment ever dished out to an English club - a £600,000 fine, 12 league points deducted for the 1994-95 season, and a ban from the 1994-95 FA Cup. However, the points deduction and FA Cup ban were later quashed on appeal, although the fine was increased to £1,500,000.

and

A clash of personalities developed and Sugar dismissed Venables on 14 May 1993, over his business dealings. After gaining a temporary injunction, he was reinstated, but lost a 3-day high court hearing and ordered to pay costs.[1]

Portsmouth; chairman (1997–1998)

Venables combined his duties with Australia for a period as consultant and then chairman at Portsmouth. He purchased a 51% controlling interest in the club for £1 in February 1997, but left in controversial circumstances 11 months later. His company Vencorp received a £300,000 bonus in the summer of 1997 and he is thought to have been paid around £250,000 upon leaving the club, but he left them bottom of Division One.[7]

Although Portsmouth avoided relegation 1997–98, their financial situation worsened and they were in real danger of bankruptcy, until being taken over by Milan Mandarić in late 1999.

Anyone see a link here?:rolleyes:

To be fair, we can talk:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Manchester_City_F.C._%281880%E2%80%931928%29

In the 1904-05 season Manchester City were level on points with Newcastle United in the league and needed to beat Aston Villa on the final day of the season to seal the First Division championship. Villa won the game 3-2 at Villa Park and City finished third overall in the league, two points behind eventual champions Newcastle United. After the game Alec Leake, the captain of Aston Villa, claimed that Billy Meredith had offered him £10 to throw the game.[13][14]

Meredith was found guilty of this offence by the Football Association and was fined and suspended from playing football for a year. Whilst Manchester City refused to provide financial help for Meredith and so he decided to go public about claimed that City were breaking the rules: "What was the secret of the success of the Manchester City team? In my opinion, the fact that the club put aside the rule that no player should receive more than four pounds a week... The team delivered the goods, the club paid for the goods delivered and both sides were satisfied."[15] This statement roused suspicion as the FA had imposed a £4 a week cap on wages on all clubs in 1901, whereas Meredith alleged publicly that City broke this rule.[13]

The Football Association now carried out a thorough investigation into the financial activities of Manchester City and they came to the conclusion that City had been making additional payments to all their players. Tom Maley, the manager, was suspended from football for life and City was fined £250. Seventeen players were fined and suspended until January 1907 whilst City were forced to sell their players and at an auction at the Queen's Hotel in Manchester.[13] The Manchester United manager, Ernest Mangnall signed the outstandingly gifted, Billy Meredith for only £500. Mangnall also purchased three other talented members of the City side, Herbert Burgess, Sandy Turnbull and Jimmy Bannister. These former City players became the core of the side that won the Football League championship in the 1907-08 season.

Journalists were aware that most clubs in the Football League was making illegitimate payments to its players. Football writers based in Manchester argued that the club, being a northern side, were being made an example of, and thousands of people complained to the Football Association, who refused to reduce the bans and fines.[13] Never-the-less the unfair ban in some eyes brought a young and very potentially a successful team to an abrupt halt, although the whistle-blower Meredith did return to City later on in his career.[13]

hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm 

I don't remember this, before you ask. It was before my Dad was born.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:33 am 

heard that arry is giving evidence through his car window today in honour of Transfer deadline day

"Grabs coat"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm 

Milan Mandaric says payment to Harry Redknapp was a friendship gift• Former Portsmouth chairman tells court of $145,00 payment
• Mandaric denies money was connected to employment

Tweet this

reddit this David Conn guardian.co.uk, Monday 30 January 2012 18.16 GMT Article history About this articleClose Milan Mandaric says payment to Harry Redknapp was a friendship gift
This article was published on guardian.co.uk at 18.16 GMT on Monday 30 January 2012. A version appeared on p44 of the Main section section of the Guardian on Tuesday 31 January 2012. It was last modified at 00.47 GMT on Tuesday 31 January 2012.
Milan Mandaric arrives at Southwark Crown Court on Monday. Photograph: Andrew Winning/Reuters
The former Portsmouth owner Milan Mandaric paid $145,000 into a Monaco bank account to do something "special" for his then manager, Harry Redknapp, as a "friend", not as a bonus on Redknapp's salary, Mandaric told a court on Monday. Giving evidence for the first time at Southwark Crown Court in his and Redknapp's trial on charges of failing to pay tax allegedly due on that and a further payment of $150,000, Mandaric said he paid the money to Redknapp as "an expansion of our togetherness, from being football people into friendship territory".

Over two hours in which he was questioned by his own defending barrister, Ken Macdonald QC, Mandaric said he and Redknapp had grown close beyond their professional relationship at Portsmouth, where Redknapp joined as director of football on 29 August 2001, then became the club's manager on 27 May 2002. The court heard that Redknapp's initial salary at Portsmouth, then in the Championship, was £1.775m a year, which increased to £3.025m a year when he became manager, a contract backdated to become effective from 18 March 2002.

Following the club's promotion to the Premier League in May 2003, which Mandaric described as "a dream", in March 2004 Redknapp's salary was increased by a further £1.19m to approximately £4.2m a year.

Mandaric said that quite quickly after Redknapp joined the club, until their relationship soured when the manager left for Southampton, they had a very close relationship and became family friends. They went on holiday together, Mandaric said, met up with their wives and spent a New Year's Eve together at a hotel in the New Forest. He also said that he went to Redknapp's house to play with the dogs in his garden.

"We developed a friendship," Mandaric said. "It is great to have a professional relationship in football and I always had this with managers. But I never had a friendship as I had with Harry. We expanded our friendship over and above football business. He was a special guy, he was a special manager but above all he was a special friend."

Mandaric, currently owner of the League One club Sheffield Wednesday, and Redknapp, Tottenham Hotspur's current manager, are accused of two counts of cheating the public revenue. The prosecution alleges that the $295,000, paid into a Monaco bank account with $145,000 in May 2002 and $150,000 in April 2004, was in connection with Redknapp's employment and as a reward for his services, and that tax should therefore have been paid on it. Mandaric repeatedly denied that the payments were due to Redknapp under his contract, as the manager's bonus for the profit Portsmouth made when they sold the striker Peter Crouch to Aston Villa in March 2002. He said Redknapp was due only 5% of the fee Portsmouth received for Crouch, not 10%, for which Redknapp had asked, and Mandaric said he had refused to pay the extra.

Instead, Mandaric said, he paid $145,000 into the account in Redknapp's name as "seed money" to build Redknapp an investment portfolio, "to do something special for Harry", as a friend. The further $150,000 was paid in 2004, Mandaric said, because the investments via Monaco had lost their value. Mandaric said he had become "embarrassed" by those losses, which had become public, so he replenished the account with $100,000, and provided Redknapp also with a "nominal profit" of $50,000.

Both men deny the charges, and the trial continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:35 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:23 pm 

menzies wrote:

A little late?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
A little late?

But still very funny! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:35 am 

So what's the worse that can happen to Catflap - he won't actually do time will he? All this hullabaloo - if he just gets a fine he'll just be able to pay it out of his vast reserves of ill-gotten gains, nothing really for him to worry about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:27 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
So what's the worse that can happen to Catflap - he won't actually do time will he? All this hullabaloo - if he just gets a fine he'll just be able to pay it out of his vast reserves of ill-gotten gains, nothing really for him to worry about.

Based on the evidence, i doubt they will find him guilty, maybe just of stupidity, but we already knew that!

Things is, for the amount of money it seems very doubtful, its just the inconsistencies though!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/harry-at-boiling-point-over-staring-detective-6298135.html

Claims Sun photographers turned up in a police raid, out of order IMO, even for him!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next