Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:18 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
Tevez, Aguero, Dzeko and Adebayor were all among the best strikers in their respective leagues when we signed them. Balotelli was widely regarded as one of the best prospects in football (albeit with an attitude). Santa Cruz was an expensive not-great player, but we were charged the going rate for the rest of them.

a matter of opinion.
But not really the 7 you claimed.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 pm 

i'd say that's 4 (5 with robinho), that could've gone to the top teams in their respective leagues, or came from a dominant/title winning team. expensive prospects or over-priced tosh make up the other 2 of the debated 7.

and of those 4 we only have 2 available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm 

Harry Redknapp 'kept offshore account secret' The Spurs boss is tipped as a future England manager
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Redknapp 'avoided tax on bungs'
Harry Redknapp's life in football
Harry Redknapp did not tell his accountant or bank about an offshore account for years, jurors have heard.

He is accused of receiving secret payments from former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric, 73, while he was manager at the south coast club.

The Tottenham boss only revealed he had the Monaco-based account after being asked by the Premier League's Quest inquiry, Southwark Crown Court heard.

Mr Mandaric and Mr Redknapp, 64, deny charges of cheating the public revenue.

In the opening minutes of the second day of the trial, the jury heard that Mr Redknapp kept his Monaco account a secret from his accountant for four-and-a-half years and from his bank relations manager for five years and eight months.

The court heard that Mr Redknapp told the Quest inquiry into player transfers that he had an accountant who invested the money in his Monaco account for him.

Jurors have heard how Mr Redknapp received a percentage of net profit from transfers during his time at Portsmouth.

Mr Redknapp, the prosecution alleged, said that his accountant told him that his Monaco account had done "not very well" and that half of his investment had been lost.

The prosecution said that Quest later received a letter from Mr Mandaric saying he had opened the Monaco account for Mr Redknapp and invested money there for him.

On Monday, the court was told Mr Redknapp received $295,000 which he had no intention of declaring for tax purposes.

He was paid the "bungs or offshore bonuses" by Mr Mandaric, it was claimed.

Jurors were told secret payments were made to Mr Redknapp's Monaco bank account in the name of his dog.The trial continues.

which, surely, should be significant in proving he sought to hide the account from HMRC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:50 pm 

Speaking of dogs, who does this remind you of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:53 pm 

that video bastard posted of testicular checks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:30 pm 

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:32 pm 

Goes without saying but I'd really, really love to see him sent down for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm 

is this showing up for anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:36 pm 

menzies wrote:

is this showing up for anyone?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 pm 

It's good that, I posted it the other day in the match thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm 

hey look sven's in court as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:05 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

awesome..:approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

Do keep up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 am 

Whats the saying? Dogs look like their owners or owners look lik etheir dogs? I can never remember?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 am 

Barna Azul wrote:
Whats the saying? Dogs look like their owners or owners look lik etheir dogs? I can never remember?

do the fucker for animal cruelty as well, those dogs are clearly unhealthily overweight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:22 am 

he is so fucked.

Harry Redknapp payment to offshore Monaco account 'disguised as loan'Jury told that former Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric paid 'bungs' into account that went undeclared for six years

Tweet this

reddit this Esther Addley guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 24 January 2012 21.03 GMT Article history About this articleClose Harry Redknapp payment to offshore Monaco account 'disguised as loan'
This article was published on guardian.co.uk at 21.03 GMT on Tuesday 24 January 2012. A version appeared in the Guardian on Wednesday 25 January 2012. It was last modified at 22.03 GMT on Tuesday 24 January 2012.
Harry Redknapp arrives at Southwark Crown Court for the second day of his trail on charges of tax evasion. Photograph: John Stillwell/PA
The former Portsmouth FC chairman Milan Mandaric tried to mislead police and avoid paying tax by disguising a secret six-figure payment to the club's former manager Harry Redknapp as a loan, a court has been told.

Mandaric paid $145,000 into an offshore account set up by Redknapp in 2002, when both men were based at the south coast club, and later made a second payment of $150,000.

A jury at Southwark crown court has been told that the payments were secret "bungs" paid into the Monaco account to conceal them from British tax authorities. Both men face two charges of cheating the public revenue by avoiding tax on the payments, which they deny.

John Black QC, prosecuting, told the court that after police learned of the existence of the account and questioned Mandaric about his payments, he had his lawyer request repayment of the initial deposit from Redknapp, now manager of Tottenham Hotspur. "This was a transparent device by Mr Mandaric in an attempt to create an impression that the monies paid into Mr Redknapp's Monaco account had only ever been advanced by the way of a loan," he said.

Black told the jury of eight men and four women that Redknapp, 64, had failed to declare the existence of the account for six years even while undergoing a separate inquiry into his tax affairs over a similar payment from his former club, West Ham, over the sale of the player Rio Ferdinand.

When he finally admitted to the Monaco account, after being questioned about his offshore holdings as part of a wider inquiry into financial irregularities in the Premier League, Redknapp had been "feign[ed] almost complete ignorance of its existence".

This was despite the fact he had flown to Monaco personally to open the account in 2002, and had named it Rosie 47 after his pet bulldog and the year of his birth. Black said it was "implausible that the ... inquiry merely jogged Mr Redknapp's memory of the existence of an account."

On the second day of his opening statement, Black detailed "many and various explanations" which the two men had offered to police, Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs and a journalist about the payments.

"You will see that the payments have been variously characterised as employment income, as a loan, as a gift and in some instances a combination of all or some of them," he said.

The jury heard details of separate phone interviews both men gave in February 2009 to Rob Beasley, then a reporter at the News of the World, in which Mandaric said the payment had been "a favour to Harry" which was "nothing to do with the football club", in which he offered to make an investment and allow Redknapp the profits. "I did something for my friend, away from England, away from football, away from Portsmouth," he had told the reporter.

But Redknapp, contacted days later by the same reporter, insisted the payment had been part of his bonus for selling the player Peter Crouch to Aston Villa, making a £3m profit for the club.

He told the reporter he understood Mandaric had already paid tax on the sum in the US, but to be sure he had informed HMRC when he had transferred the money to his British account in 2008. "The revenue know about it. There's nothing crooked about it," he told the reporter.

Told that Mandaric had described the payment as an investment unrelated to football, Redknapp said: "He don't know what he is fucking talking about. What is he talking about? It is a bonus."

Interviewed under police caution in June that year, Redknapp had said he and Mandaric had a dispute over the proportion of the net profit he was entitled to from the £5.5m Crouch sale. Told he would get only 5% rather than the 10% he believed was his due, he said Mandaric had told him he would "sort something out" by paying a sum in an offshore account.

Redknapp claimed to police he had asked about the tax position and had been told "Harry, there is no tax. I've paid the tax. There is no tax for you."

He said Mandaric had made an investment drawing funds from Rosie47 which had been a "disaster", and that subsequently he believed it to be a "dead account" controlled solely by Mandaric.

Questioned in turn, Mandaric told police he had placed the money in an offshore account as a "personal gesture" unrelated to Redknapp's bonus, as a sum which Redknapp would be able to invest, keeping any profits for himself.

"I believed that only Harry ... had authority to operate the account," he had told police, the court heard. The case continues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:33 am 

I bet he's found guilty but gets off lightly; a fine or some community service or whatever. They only seem to have him on these two payments (even though I'm sure there's plenty of other crooked shennanigans in his past).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:35 am 

Greedy fucker's bang to rights. Been at it for years - I never understood how he got off so lightly following that Panorama investigation. I hope he does hard time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 am 

Harry Redknapp threatened to "sue the b******s" off a journalist as he angrily denied taking bungs, a court heard on Tuesday.

The Tottenham manager also said Milan Mandaric "don't know what he is f****** talking about" in a 2009 telephone conversation with a News of the World reporter.

In short extracts read out to a jury at Southwark Crown Court, Redknapp told Rob Beasley he had "the best accountants in England", claiming the Inland Revenue was fully aware of his dealings in Monaco.

Beasley spoke to Redknapp days after a telephone interview with former Portsmouth chairman Mandaric.

When Beasley described how Mandaric said the money sent to Redknapp's offshore accounts were investments outside football, the Tottenham manager replied: "He don't know what he is f****** talking about. What is he talking about? It is a bonus."

Explaining that the payments surrounded profit made on the sale of Peter Crouch from Portsmouth to Aston Villa, Redknapp added: "If it was something dodgy I would have gone over there and brought it back in a briefcase."

When Beasley asked him whether he had paid any tax in the UK on it, Redknapp replied: "Haven't been asked to, Rob."

Redknapp said "there ain't nothing crooked in it" as the telephone conversation went on, the court heard.

"Don't say bung," Redknapp said. "It's nothing to do with a bung. It's paid by the chairman. How can it be a bung when the chairman of the football club paid me?"

He added: "What's a bung? It's a f****** sick word."

According to the transcript, he told Mandaric: "I don't want to have a problem with the tax man."

"They was aware of it from day one," he added.

When asked about the bonus clause in his contract, Redknapp said: "My accountant has got my contract...I'm not going to f****** show you."

He added: "The Inland Revenue know all about it. I've got nothing to defend, Rob.

"I ain't done nothing wrong...I ain't done nothing wrong, Rob. I got paid a bonus...everyone is aware of it."

He later added: "Everyone knows about it, there ain't nothing crooked in it."

Redknapp subsequently told police "I don't fiddle", the court heard.

John Black QC, prosecuting, read out an interview which took place with a detective four months later in June.

Redknapp was said to have told a detective: "I said to him many, many times 'Milan, I don't want to end up with a tax bill'. I was told I wasn't liable for income tax on so many occasions."

Redknapp added: "For the sake of that amount of money or any amount of money, I don't fiddle.

"I pay my tax since I have been in football my entire life. I pay every penny."

Redknapp's account differed from what Mandaric told Mr Beasley on February 26 2009, the Crown claim.

Mandaric was said to have told Mr Beasley that the payments to the Monaco account were nothing to do with Portsmouth securing promotion to the Premier League.

The transcript said: "This is the money for my investment...a way to help Harry for the investment...we had become friends."

He added: "Rob, as I told you, it was nothing wrong. It was something I did for my friend...away from football."

Mandaric said he had "paid him a million or whatever it was I paid him" for Portsmouth's success on the pitch.

He added: "There was a contract and what I did for him was nothing to do with this."

As Mr Beasley told Redknapp what Mandaric had said, the manager said: "Well, if that's what he said, then he is wrong."

Redknapp added: "What people don't seem to understand - this money was paid by Milan in his American account...It was a bonus I was due."

Redknapp declared his Monaco account to inspectors less than two weeks before joining Spurs, the prosecution allege.

Both Redknapp and Mandaric deny two counts of cheating the public revenue when he was Portsmouth manager.

Redknapp failed to declare his offshore bank account for six years after "feigning" ignorance during a high-profile inquiry into football bungs, jurors were told earlier.

The manager previously only mentioned the Monaco account as he was questioned during the Premier League-led Quest investigation in 2006, prosecutors claim.

Black asked jurors to consider "is it the case that Mr Redknapp could be unaware of the bank account" when he had flown out to Monaco just a couple of years earlier to set it up in the name of his dog, Rosie.

Despite two separate inquiries into his finances - the first launched in the wake of his receipt of a £300,000 "gift" after Rio Ferdinand signed for Leeds from West Ham - Redknapp registered the account to tax inspectors only after his arrest in 2008.

Black said: "The existence of the bank account was not registered to Revenue and Customs for a period of six years, two months...after Mr Redknapp was first arrested and questioned in the course of this investigation."

The first mention of the offshore account came when Mandaric was asked by the Quest inquiry to provide details of payments to Redknapp, Black said.

"It's clear that it was only at this time that Mr Redknapp brought to the attention the existence of the Monaco bank account, feigning almost total ignorance of its existence, its operation and its contents," he added.

The first charge of cheating the public revenue alleges that between April 1, 2002 and November 28, 2007 Mandaric paid 145,000 US dollars (£93,100) into the account.

The second charge for the same offence relates to a sum of 150,000 US dollars (£96,300) allegedly paid between May 1, 2004 and November 28, 2007.

Redknapp, 64, who underwent minor heart surgery last year to unblock his arteries, is the most successful English manager in the modern game, having led Portsmouth to FA Cup success and Spurs to last season's Uefa Champions League quarter-finals.

Serbian Mandaric, 73, is now chairman of Sheffield Wednesday, having previously worked at Leicester.

Its understood that the FA are keeping a close eye on this, but its believed that any future England manager, after recent foreign managers should be able to speak English in a competent way! :whistle:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next