Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:41 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
any guilty charge should see him out of his job tbf.

how the fuck can a manager receive a percentage of player sale profit and remain impartial in transfer dealings, or even place the team above his own interests?

You'd think but there is a lot of hero worship going on over him.
"The most successful current English manager" they said on BBC news headlines, trophy cabinet is just one FA cup (that he bankrupted Portsmouth for) no?
They even finished with "only time will tell what effect this will have on his career and on the future of the England team":eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 am 

yeah, that's a damning indictment of the quality of english managers imo, or the trust placed in them by clubs. what did mclaren win with boro, league cup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 am 

I'm sick of Sky/The media portraying Spurs as the underdogs, short of money. They're one of the richest teams in the country, who spend more than almost anybody!

We were in the bloody Championship not so long ago, what were we supposed to do? Just be shit for ever? Build our team up over 25+ years?

Maclaren has won the league cup and dutch league. I know its dutch but its still better than what Harry has done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:
You'd think but there is a lot of hero worship going on over him.
"The most successful current English manager" they said on BBC news headlines, trophy cabinet is just one FA cup (that he bankrupted Portsmouth for) no?
They even finished with "only time will tell what effect this will have on his career and on the future of the England team":eek:

Roy Hodgson:

7 times winner of the Allsvenskan, 2 times winner of the Svenska Cupen, 1 time winner of the Danish Superliga, 1 time winner of the Danish Super Cup, 2 time Europa League/UEFA Cup finalist.

Steve McClaren:

1 time winner of the League Cup, 1 time winner of the Eredivisie.

Mick McCarthy:

2 times winner of the Championship.

Harry Redknapp:

1 time winner of Division 3 (now League 2), 1 time winner of the Football League Trophy, 1 time winner of the Intertoto Cup, 1 time winner of Division 1 (now the Championship), 1 time winner of the FA Cup, 1 time finalist of the FA Cup, 1 time finalist of the Community Shield (apparently that counts).

In terms of major trophies (League Cup or above), he's one behind McClaren and nine behind Hodgson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 am 

Tresidentevil wrote:
I'm sick of Sky/The media portraying Spurs as the underdogs, short of money. They're one of the richest teams in the country, who spend more than almost anybody!

We were in the bloody Championship not so long ago, what were we supposed to do? Just be shit for ever? Build our team up over 25+ years?

Since 2006, Spurs have a net spend of £76,200,000 compared to £437,120,000 by City. That would [accurately] appear to paint us as the significantly richer club. However, only we and Chelsea (£151,900,000) have spent vastly more than them, with then only Liverpool (£83,210,000) having spent any more. United's net spend of £54,850,000 actually has them seventh behind both Sunderland and Aston Villa, though that is in no small part down to the sale of Ronaldo and many of their squad (Notably Rooney and Ferdinand) being bought prior to 2006. Arsenal, to the surprise of nobody, are at the very bottom of the list, having a net income of £30,420,000.

Source

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:55 am 

fuck spuds and their COTs fans and their (alleged) bent, tax-dodging, bung-taking, former-club-financial-fucking c nt of a manager.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Since 2006, Spurs have a net spend of £76,200,000 compared to £437,120,000 by City. That would [accurately] appear to paint us as the significantly richer club. However, only we and Chelsea (£151,900,000) have spent vastly more than them, with then only Liverpool (£83,210,000) having spent any more. United's net spend of £54,850,000 actually has them seventh behind both Sunderland and Aston Villa, though that is in no small part down to the sale of Ronaldo and many of their squad (Notably Rooney and Ferdinand) being bought prior to 2006. Arsenal, to the surprise of nobody, are at the very bottom of the list, having a net income of £30,420,000.

Source

that's only since 2006 though, i'd like to see the past 10 years accounts please darlo. and also the scale of their projected financial demise once redknapp departs, as is the form.
*drums fingers impatiently*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 am 

In the grand sceme of things they are rich. I understand we obviously spend more than anybody BUT our prices were inflated and lots of money has been wasted on RSC etc.

Spurs are not poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 am 

Tresidentevil wrote:
In the grand sceme of things they are rich. I understand we obviously spend more than anybody BUT our prices were inflated and lots of money has been wasted on RSC etc.

Spurs are not poor.

No. But then, in the grand grand scheme of things, Norwich, Swansea and Everton are also rich (compared to Darlington, Lincoln, Kettering, Northwich Victoria...). Everything's relative.

Inflated prices don't account for the fact that we've bought six marquee strikers since the takeover and sold precisely none of them tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:30 am 

we sold robinho didn't we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 am 

OK, bought 7 and sold 1 (for a loss). We still have Santa Cruz, Adebayor, Tevez, Aguero, Balotelli and Dzeko on the books - the cheapest of whom cost £18m.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 am 

Their billionaire foreign owner is tighter than ours is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:
Their billionaire foreign owner is tighter than ours is.

Levy is British.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:33 am 

that's 1 "marquee striker"

Tevez = 2

Adebayor, RSC = NO WAY

Would you describe Balotelli and Aguero exactly as "marquee signings"?

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:35 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Levy is British.

Hate to be pedantic Darlo but he ain't the owner, Joe Lewis is.
Lewis is also British though(:rolleyes:) but resides in the Bahamas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:36 am 

Umm yes, I'd call Aguero a marquee signing tbf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:
Umm yes, I'd call Aguero a marquee signing tbf.

So that's maybe 3.
A bit shy of the 7 Darlo is telling us about.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:44 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
that's 1 "marquee striker"

Tevez = 2

Adebayor, RSC = NO WAY

Would you describe Balotelli and Aguero exactly as "marquee signings"?

Adebayor was a marquee signing when we got him. I think you do well to spend upwards of £20m on a player for them not to be fairly prominent in your matchday plans. Pretty much all bar Santa Cruz would walk into any starting XI in the Premier League and it is only because we have such a wealth of expensively-assembled talent that they don't at City. 'Marquee' is perhaps the wrong word to use but the point remains that we have over £150m of striking options at our disposal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:51 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Adebayor was a marquee signing when we got him. I think you do well to spend upwards of £20m on a player for them not to be fairly prominent in your matchday plans. Pretty much all bar Santa Cruz would walk into any starting XI in the Premier League and it is only because we have such a wealth of expensively-assembled talent that they don't at City. 'Marquee' is perhaps the wrong word to use but the point remains that we have over £150m of striking options at our disposal.

they were just expensive, because it is mega-rich City.
what did Lescott cost?

A 'marquee' defender?

Many signings were made to bring the club up a level or two, as very top players would not sign for City. RSC was just a step up player along with many others the club signed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:07 pm 

Frank Blue wrote:
they were just expensive, because it is mega-rich City.
what did Lescott cost?

A 'marquee' defender?

Many signings were made to bring the club up a level or two, as very top players would not sign for City. RSC was just a step up player along with many others the club signed.

Tevez, Aguero, Dzeko and Adebayor were all among the best strikers in their respective leagues when we signed them. Balotelli was widely regarded as one of the best prospects in football (albeit with an attitude). Santa Cruz was an expensive not-great player, but we were charged the going rate for the rest of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next