Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Blackpool
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:00 am 

Blackpool sign Craig Cathcart, Ludovic Sylvestre, Elliot Grandin and Malaury Martin.:confused:

Who??????????

I think Blackpool may just struggle a bit in the prem this year :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:03 am 

Well, the first one is out of Yernited's reserves. Never heard of the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am 

Holloway was throwing his toys out of the pram because he hasn't been given billions to spend.

He should just be happy they're in the prem. If they manage not to finish bottom they they've done well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:05 am 

While I haven't heard of any of those players (!) how many times have a team who you think are destined for relegation done surprisingly well? Reading, Hull and Stoke spring to mind as obvious examples. I was sure Wolves would be for the drop last season too...

But yeah, they won't be in the Prem in 3 years time fo' sho'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:08 am 

slart wrote:
Holloway was throwing his toys out of the pram because he hasn't been given billions to spend.

He should just be happy they're in the prem. If they manage not to finish bottom they they've done well.

I concur, although i suspect they may be virtually down by Christmas. West Brom should be happy though, it's usually them that finish as wooden spoonists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:10 am 

Just can't see them having any chance of surviving. I fear they may finish up with the lowest points total ever which will probably include the 4 they take off us.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am 

Great away fixture though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:14 am 

Yeah but team spirit, loads of effort and confidence from having beaten the odds and made it into the prem count for an awful lot. Reading are a classic example when they came up even tho they din't have any household names in the team, and when Hull first came up they were unbeatable, sweeping aside the likes of Arsenal and topping the league after a month or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 am 

and then disappearing in a cloud of financial fuckery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am 

The one thing they have going for them is an insane manager who loves talking. He'll be fun on motd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:23 am 

Blackpool have bolstered their squad with four signings ahead of their first Premier League game on Saturday.

Manchester United's Northern Ireland Under-21 defender Craig Cathcart, 21, has joined for an undisclosed fee.

The Seasiders have also acquired French trio Ludovic Sylvestre, 26, Elliot Grandin, 22, and Malaury Martin, 21.

Ex-Barcelona trainee Sylvestre joins from Czech side Mlada Boleslav, former Marseille player Grandin from CSKA Sofia and Martin was last with Monaco.

Cathcart never played for United's first team but spent time on loan at Royal Antwerp, Watford and Plymouth.

606: DEBATE
Good to finally get some players in but are we going to sign any strikers?

Ted - Premier League Tangerine
Midfielder Sylvestre has also played for Sparta Prague and has signed a two-year deal at Bloomfield Road with an option for a third year, as has winger Grandin.

Fellow midfielder Martin is a former French youth international and has signed a one-year deal after impressing on trial following his release by Monaco.

Don't sound prem quality to me.

Post subject:

I'll have a fiver with someone that they won't finish in the bottom 2

Post subject:

and an owner (background or not, the dad of the guy in charge) that likes fucking people against their will. allegedly

Post subject:

I guarantee that during the course of the season, a Blackpool win will be accompanied by the folowing headline in a tabloid:

"Blackpool Tower over (insert club name here)"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
I'll have a fiver with someone that they won't finish in the bottom 2

I'll take you up on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 am 

Might want to delete that post GA.....!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am 

Our Tommy wrote:
I'll take you up on that.

Done.

*spits on hand and offers it up*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Done.

*spits on hand and offers it up*

Up what? I don't think I would have a problem laying that bet off at much better odds.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am 

WeegieBlue wrote:
Might want to delete that post GA.....!

owen oysten. google him. he had to relinquish control of the club because of his criminal record.

i believe i was incorrect in assuming the age (edit)

from wiki -
Conviction
Oyston had a financial interest in a modelling agency in Manchester and after a high profile police investigation nine charges were levelled against him, including four rape charges.[3] He was initially arrested on 9 February 1995[12] At the committal in May 1995, one of the alleged rapes and two separate charges of indecent assault were thrown out by a stipendiary magistrate. Three charges against him came to trial. He was cleared of two but found guilty of one rape. His first trial for indecent assault, against a former model, was in February 1996 for which he was acquitted. The jury could not though agree a verdict on a rape charge against the girl. At the retrial he was acquitted of the rape charge after the former model was shown to have lied at the first trial and it was shown that Oyston had in fact had a long term relationship with her both before and after the alleged rape. She also admitted that it was only after being contacted by police officers investigating the model agency that she felt impelled to speak out having previously made no allegation against Oyston.[3]

The second rape trial in March 1996 also saw Oyston acquitted, after it was shown that the model had taken money from Oyston, enjoyed a consensual affair with him and had continued to see him socially after the alleged rape.[3]

The final trial took place at Liverpool Crown Court and began during April of 1996, with an allegation of rape four years previously at Oyston's home. Initially, the alleged victim said the rape took place in autumn 1991, but at the trial stated it took place in the middle of 1992, and the she said that it took place in September 1992. She had also made no complaint at the time, and the notes from her police interview were lost. The girl was aged around 16 years at the time of the alleged offence, and Oyston did not admit having intercourse with her. However, the jury did not believe him and he was convicted of rape and indecent assault, for which he was jailed for six years on 22 May, with the judge saying Oyston had committed "horrendous" crimes against the girl.[13][3]

During the trial Oyston also claimed he was the victim of a long-running conspiracy by two government ministers, and that a "very nasty campaign" had been waged against him for up to twelve years. Oyston claimed that at one time he was being investigated by the Fraud Squad, the Inland Revenue, the Drugs Squad, the City's regulatory takeover body Imro, international private investigators, the Sunday Times and other newspapers. He told his defence counsel Anthony Scrivener, QC, that he had been cleared of wrongdoing. In 1989, he had won substantial damages, costs and an apology from the Sunday Times.[2] He also distributed a 72-page glossy booklet, "The Oyston file", detailing the allegations to reporters.[14]

During the trial much had been made of the fact that Oyston's only high-profile TV appearance during his acting career was in the 1970s TV series Crown Court.[citation needed]

legal age of consent, possibly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 am 

Much better. Your original post was incorrect but I guess now it's fine. Maybe change it to "a person" since that was what he was found guilty of, and then you can drop the alledgedly as it's FACT ;)