Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hamburg sack manager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:08 pm 

Hamburg have sacked coach Bruno Labbadia only three days before the club's Europa League semi-final second leg tie against Fulham.

After failing to make home advantage tell in Thursday's first-leg 0-0 draw against the Cottagers, Hamburg were drubbed 5-1 at Hoffenheim on Sunday.

"We saw that as things were we would not be able to succeed against Fulham," club chairman Bernd Hoffmann said.

Assistant coach Ricardo Moniz will take charge until the end of the season.

Labbadia succeeded former Tottenham boss Martin Jol at the northern German club last summer, enjoying a successful start to the season.

However, they won just four of their 15 Bundesliga games since the winter break.

Sunday's loss to their mid-table opponents leaves them seventh in the table, five points behind nearest rivals Stuttgart, who hold the last European berth with just two games remaining.

606: DEBATE
It certainly makes Thursday night all the more interesting

CottageDobson

Hamburg's hopes qualifying for Europe next season, therefore, effectively rest on winning the Europa League trophy at their own stadium on 12 May.

"There was no alternative to this," added Hoffmann. "We need to improve the probability of us being successful on Thursday."

Labbadia had admitted that Sunday's performance was "depressing" but angrily dismissed rumours he had lost the dressing room.

"If a team were to play against their coach, then they would also be playing against themselves," he said. "That would make no sense."

The 44-year-old played for Hamburg and Bayern Munich among others during a prolific goalscoring career as a striker in Germany, and won two caps for the national side.

He began his career in management with Darmstadt 98 in 2003, moving on to Greuther Furth before joining Hamburg from Bayer Leverkusen.

Despite their erratic league form, Labbadia had led his troops to the verge of a European final.

They qualified second behind Israeli side Hapoel Tel-Aviv in the Europa League's Group C, beating Celtic 1-0 at Parkhead and drawing with the Glaswegians 0-0 in Germany.

After negotiating PSV Eindhoven, Anderlecht and Standard Liege in the knock-out stages, Hamburg endured a frustrating evening against Roy Hodgson's well-organised west London outfit last week.

Ricardo Moniz
Moniz worked as a coach at Spurs for three seasons before leaving in 2008

Labbadia rued his side's profligacy in wide positions after that stalemate but remained ultra-confident they could advance in Thursday's return leg at Craven Cottage.

"Unfortunately, when we did manage to get down the flanks, the delivery was too inaccurate," he said.

"We'll probably have it easier in England, though, because Fulham will be forced to attack. It's going to be very tight, but I believe my team will secure their place in the final."

However, it will now be 45-year-old Dutchman Moniz, a former member of Spurs' backroom staff who followed Jol to Hamburg, who has the task of trying to take the Germans to a decider against either Atletico Madrid or Liverpool.

"He is incredibly enthusiastic, knows the team and English football well and lives for football," said Hoffmann of Labbadia's interim replacement

What a chance for Fulham and a hope of an all english Final gets a bit more realistic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:26 pm 

What a ridiculous sacking. Almost as bad as Hughes' removal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:48 pm 

don't want an all english final, bin dippers would steal it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:00 pm 

it was forseeable that will get sacked any soon, since weeks. They played more than poor in the Bundesliga since like 8 or 9 matches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:46 pm 

GermanCityFan wrote:
it was forseeable that will get sacked any soon, since weeks. They played more than poor in the Bundesliga since like 8 or 9 matches.

The problem with HSV is that they are a selling club IMO. Any good players are sold - Olic, Boateng, van der Vaart, van Buyten - and they brought in? van Nistelrooy, Ze Roberto. They have no real big names at the top of their game IMO.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:14 pm 

i think ze roberto and van nistelroy were both a good catch. but principially you're right. They always loose their good players to filthy rich clubs. Such as we are :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 pm 

GermanCityFan wrote:
i think ze roberto and van nistelroy were both a good catch. but principially you're right. They always loose their good players to filthy rich clubs. Such as we are :D

both are good, but more importantly 'were' great.
I bet HSV fans still crave for the heady days of Keegan and their Euro win the season after Keggy left. The way that club is run, those days won't be returning any time soon.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:44 am 

does the uefa cup winner get into chumps league?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:11 am 

Miggs wrote:

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:52 am 

Miggs wrote:

No. Not even sure if the are allowed to defend their Europa title.