Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cork City RIP
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 pm 

Last season in the early rounds of the UEFA there was a possibility we would meet Cork City in the qualifying rounds. If you remember this led to a number of their deluded "supporters" invading our forum and with typical deluded arrogance these fools decreed that they were actually a bigger, better and more successful club than Manchester City.

The club went bust over debts of a €600K. Ade, Tevez and Toure combined earn that much in a week.

I wonder who these fools will support next?

Quote:
Cork finally defeated as sorry tale winds down

By Daniel McDonnell

Tuesday February 23 2010

Cork's game of chance finally over

FOR those clinging to the hope that Cork City Football Club would somehow perform another Lazarus-like act, there would be no happy ending.

After over two hours of deliberations at FAI HQ last evening, the Independent Licensing Committee refused the application for a Premier Division licence from Cork City FC Investments Limited.

That company will be wound up today, and while Tom Coughlan's intentions last night were unclear -- he could choose to enter an appeals process -- the reality is that there is no comeback for the club, as we know it, after this decision. The game of chance is over.

Finer points like the status of their creditors will have to be dealt with in due course. Roddy Collins and the players who have been lining out in pre-season friendlies now enter limbo. Supporters group FORAS have been granted a First Division licence and should have access to Turner's Cross, with financial advisors Quintas -- who were one part of the consortium that were ready to take over from Coughlan if the FAI handed out a reprieve -- deliberating over whether to join them in the new era.

In the short term, though, the domestic game must prepare for a season where Munster will not be represented in the top flight -- Bray will take Cork's place. Just like the demise of Derry City, however, heartbroken fans have to come to terms with the realisation that it was a deserved conclusion to a sorry tale.

Earlier, Cork had been given another glimmer of hope in the High Court by Justice Mary Laffoy who postponed the formal liquidation of the club by 24 hours after counsel on behalf of the prospective new owners turned up to say they had €600,000 available to discharge all the club's liabilities.

The judge was told by Ross Gorman BL, for McGuire Desmond Nominees, that yesterday afternoon his client entered into an agreement to buy the club from Coughlan.

He added that the postponement of the winding up was needed to see if the club could secure a Premier Division licence from the FAI. Without the licence the club would be "worth nothing," counsel added.

Last week, the court was told that the Leesiders had money to discharge a €107,653 Revenue debt -- which had risen to €163,000 by yesterday -- but was unable to do so because its bank account has been frozen.

The judge directed that some €158,000 due to the club from the sale of players Kevin Long to Burnley, and the cashing in of David Meyler's sell-on clause which was included as part of his transfer to Sunderland in 2008, be lodged into its bank account with Allied Irish Bank. The money due to Revenue was to be paid from this, the judge directed.

However yesterday the court was told that a Cork-based businessman, Stephen O'Keeffe, as a result of a loan given to the club, had purchased the right to the transfer fee for Irish U-21 international Long and was owed €100,000 of the monies from that deal.

Dermot Cahill BL, for Revenue, said that Revenue had received the money it was owed from the club from England last week, however it was now accepted that Mr O'Keeffe was due to get the proceeds of the Kevin Long transfer. That fact should have been disclosed to the court last week, counsel said.

Justice Laffoy said that she would strike out the order winding up the club if the entire amount is paid to Revenue by 2pm today -- and the takeover parties were satisfied -- and said that the FAI should be informed of her decision, effectively knocking the ball firmly back into their court.

Not before time, the powers that be at Abbotstown returned with the right decision.

- Daniel McDonnell

Irish Independent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:34 pm 

lulz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:03 pm 

Bray Wanderers back into the Premier League so (hopefully!)
Come on you Seagulls!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:11 pm 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
Bray Wanderers back into the Premier League so (hopefully!)
Come on you Seagulls!

I think Bray are getting the place in the Prem.

Delighted that Cork City are out on their hole.

When they first hit financial trouble and couldn't pay their players I saw them play away to Shamrock Rovers. The Rovers scumbags took the piss out of them. The Cork players reacted badly. One booted the ball full force at the fans. Two other players started fighting on the pitch and were booked. Another was sent off and one broke his leg in a freakish fall with no other player near him. They also conceded three goals in 15 minutes in the second half.

One of the funniest games I've ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 pm 

christ. ^ sounds like some kind of sketch show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm 

no shels back in the league then? rocky the seagulls gonna be strutting around for another season

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:22 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
christ. ^ sounds like some kind of sketch show.

I'm not making it up. I was laughing all the way through the second half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm 

got to be on youtube surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:43 pm 

davidfitz22 wrote:
no shels back in the league then? rocky the seagulls gonna be strutting around for another season

and we can stay there if one Premier League goes bust every season, which is quite likely judging my the general state of their finances.

Nick Leeson is CEO of another Premier club, Galway Utd. If he can take down Barings Bank, a crappy LoI football club should be easy peasy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Cork finally defeated as sorry tale winds down

By Daniel McDonnell

Why can't they think of any original names over there? It's all Patrick this, Daniel that, Tara the other.

Stupid Irish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:51 pm 

hate galway fans/ppl of any sport. hope they go under then mervue united no point in that club. as much as i hate bohs the burdocks in the ground is great. its worth the risk of nearly getting stabbed to go to the matches :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:53 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Why can't they think of any original names over there? It's all Patrick this, Daniel that, Tara the other.

Stupid Irish.

not in d4 land its all alistair, finton, generic pretentious name number 3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm 

Bastard wrote:

Stupid Irish.

o'keeffe made me laugh

one "f" surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

Bastard wrote:

Stupid Irish.

Only chicks are called Tara.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:31 pm 

Chicks suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:47 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Chicks suck.

Ethiopian chicks won't...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:42 pm 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
Looked like Dundalk were getting the 3rd uefa spot with cork el busto but Ian foster doesnt have the right mangaers license. :(
I wrote a poem today about cork.

Oh cork what has happened to you
If only you paid someone to clean the away fans loo
Now your glory days have been and gone
Georgie will have to get a new club to sing his song
It was 2005 when you won the league
But now coughlan has no more tricks up his sleave
How will the league of ireland go on with this loss
CCFC never again to be seen at turners cross
Oh cork if you could have only scored one more goal
All your players wouldnt have to sign on the dole

Seriously though I liked cork. The fans were amazing. Its hard to imagine cork without a club. Bray are going to go straight back down this year. Thats two big clubs who are not in the premier anymore. Its alarming. We need the all Ireland league and we need it fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:58 pm 

AmBeRt0nTe wrote:
We need the all Ireland league and we need it fast.

Yup, the only hope of resuscitation.