Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:15 pm 

Well they're almost guaranteed Champions League football and with that TV money/win bonusses/match day revenue etc. I'd say staying in the Scottish league would be more lucrative for them instead of lingering in the premiership gray zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:48 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:
I think it's celtic with a large Irish support? I never understood why.

some irish folk seem to affiliate celtic with the IRA, and what do you mean by irish beliefs? piss off. celtic are a british club and no less british than rangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm 

No thank you....Next!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:57 pm 

Hope not .I cannot tolerate them .Jock losers !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:02 pm 

It will ruin Scottish football, even more than it is ruined already. If they want to lose their Champions league/Eufa status, then let them come south, but they have to work their way up like everyone else. Even FC United of Manchester are doing that. The only advantage will be some big paydays for little clubs in the conference when they get their share of the gate receipts from Parkhead or Ibrox.
They will struggle in the Premiership, as evidenced by some of their displays in Europe and will not enhance the quality of the league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:13 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:
I think it's celtic with a large Irish support? I never understood why.

Because Celtic was a totally Catholic club while Rangers were a totally Protestant club, bit of an overlap nowadays.

perhaps a complimentary Kleenex should be placed upon each seat at Eastlands this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:38 pm 

No way. This is an awful idea. I can't make any original points but what right do they have to enter the top tier of one of the best leagues in the world.

So we'd have another good couple of days out a season. I can live without.

It would be good to Rangers fans back in Manchester though :rolleyes:

Post subject: Now Rangers are at it.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:16 am 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8297988.stm

[SIZE="4"]Rangers chief predicts SPL exit[/SIZE]
Bain believes Rangers are an attractive proposition for broadcasters

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain believes the Ibrox club will have left the Scottish Premier League behind in the next 10 years.

And Bain suggested that a new European set-up might be the likely escape route for Rangers and Glasgow rivals Celtic.

When asked by BBC Sport if he thought Rangers would be playing elsewhere within a decade, Bain replied: "I do.

"There are a number of like-minded clubs who are currently hamstrung by the environment they are in."

An Atlantic League involving clubs from outside the five major European leagues; England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France, has been discussed at length before.

And Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell, speaking to the BBC on Wednesday, was cool on the idea being investigated again, preferring to court a move to England.

However, Bain is determined to explore every possibility when it comes to increasing Rangers' stature and spending power.

"There are a number of big clubs playing in smaller leagues," he added. "And I think there will be a wind of change.

"I understand all the cross-border aspects but there are a number of like-minded clubs, who are currently hamstrung by the environment they are in.

"As that groundswell grows, I think Uefa will take note and maybe that will lead to other things.

"We have to be invited to a party. So we need to maintain our club and its infrastructure in order that at the time to be invited, we are there or thereabouts, then that's an objective."

Bain spoke of his frustration at seeing the lowest placed club in the English top flight earning almost 15 times what the top club in Scotland can garner through sponsorship and media rights.

And he believes the Old Firm are an attractive proposition for broadcasters.

"What the media companies want is the live spectacle and full houses," he added. "Celtic and Rangers have got that in abundance with our fan bases.

"We are a huge club commercially. Our fans are the lifeblood.

"If you couple that with the additional media revenue that might come with a new opportunity, we certainly would be a club to be reckoned with in any league in the world."

With Lawwell saying Celtic would consider any route that could lead to the English Premier League, manager Tony Mowbray said the issue was being spoken about within football circles.

"It's something our club would be interested in listening to of course," he told BBC Sport. "Where do I think we are in a football context having had experience of the English Premier League?

"Glasgow Celtic, and indeed our city rivals would fit into the Premier League pretty well."

He wants Rangers to join a European league where they could have a Monday night match against a team in Portugal or Estonia. I great to see a team thinking about the fans there.

And I love the closing quote saying that both teams would fit in well in the Premier League. Slightly deluded!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:13 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:
Becuase they would come into our league and shove their scottish/irish beliefs down everyone elses throat. I don't like those two clubs anyway.

Why The Face?
Irish beliefs? retart. They are a scottish team with a mass of irish support. like united are an english team with a mass of asian support. That doesn't mean they are asian, or rangers/celtic are irish. Sorry to again raise the view that I dislike you and your posts jack but that was very annoying as an irish person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:44 pm 

hogeymack wrote:
Why The Face?
Irish beliefs? retart. They are a scottish team with a mass of irish support. like united are an english team with a mass of asian support. That doesn't mean they are asian, or rangers/celtic are irish. Sorry to again raise the view that I dislike you and your posts jack but that was very annoying as an irish person.

You're Irish?

*considers unfriending*

*decides that it will help to not appear racist if he has an irish 'friend' on an internet forum*

*realises that to have to use internet forum 'friends' in order to prove lack of racist views may raise further questions*

*should not have gone down this train of thought*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:03 am 

Well, I'm northern irish, which is british technically, but I have both passports so I claim whichever whenever I need to. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:11 am 

hogeymack wrote:
Well, I'm northern irish, which is british technically, but I have both passports so I claim whichever whenever I need to. :D

the worst sort then.

*finger wavers over banning option*

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 am 

I'm City fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:20 am 

hogeymack wrote:
I'm City fan.

Suppose that saves your skin. But being from Norn Irn still makes things difficult for you.

I once upset a lot of fans on another site by claiming that I was confused whilst watching a football match involving Celtic and there being many Irish flags and then adding that I thought Celtic was a Scottish team.
:D

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:26 am 

Haha I love silly forum people. So easy to windup*.
Frank I wrote a song for you, due to you making a quote oh so long ago on this forum. It's called Free Cloudy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:32 am 

hogeymack wrote:
Haha I love silly forum people. So easy to windup*.
Frank I wrote a song for you, due to you making a quote oh so long ago on this forum. It's called Free Cloudy.

I have never got this Catholic therefore must support Celtic bullshit. and the other side of it too. retards the lot of them. they can keep it to themselves.
I never vote in UK elections, but if there it ever a referendum allowing the breakaway of Scotland, it's got my vote.
they have their own parliament, so are almost splitanyway. so how can a team from a foreign country apply to play in a foreign league?

*sets next target on the Welsh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:34 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
I have never got this Catholic therefore must support Celtic bullshit. and the other side of it too. retards the lot of them. they can keep it to themselves.
I never vote in UK elections, but if there it ever a referendum allowing the breakaway of Scotland, it's got my vote.
they have their own parliament, so are almost splitanyway. so how can a team from a foreign country apply to play in a foreign league?

*sets next target on the Welsh*

Depends on the rules of the league. Catalan Dragons play in the Super League.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:35 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Depends on the rules of the league. Catalan Dragons play in the Super League.

it would be the death of the SPL if they left. they should be part of the solution, not causing further problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:37 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
it would be the death of the SPL if they left. they should be part of the solution, not causing further problems.

Is the two-team monopoly not pretty bad anyway? At least there might be a bit of competition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Is the two-team monopoly not pretty bad anyway? At least there might be a bit of competition.

restructuring would be the answer. i also think the english leagues need sorting out as well tbf.