Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Community Shield
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:42 am 

I didn't watch the game and I haven't seen a report yet. Can anyone tell me how Daniel Sturridge performed? I know that Chelsea scored two and I presume that Sturridge got at least one of them? Did Ancelotti single him out for praise? Did Andy Gray spend the match saying "What a prospect this lad is"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:44 am 

he didn't play at the match. well he'd be a sub for us too so he chose to be a sub at chelsea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:45 am 

at least the pigshits lost. That cheered me up no end.:approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am 
Buffbill wrote:
I didn't watch the game and I haven't seen a report yet. Can anyone tell me how Daniel Sturridge performed? I know that Chelsea scored two and I presume that Sturridge got at least one of them? Did Ancelotti single him out for praise? Did Andy Gray spend the match saying "What a prospect this lad is"?

[/sarcasm]

Nice work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:52 am 

I think Bill's point may have been missed at first. Nice work indeed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:03 pm 

Emigre wrote:
[/sarcasm]

Nice work

Phew! I was afraid that this was going to turn into a serious, in-depth analysis of the game. I must admit to feeling really pleased when I saw that Sturridge wasn't even on the bench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:05 pm 

Saw lots of glum looking rags heading home from Wembley on the north circular (in a southerly direction:D) when I was out for a walk yesterday, a couple did manage to throw wanker signs at me (i was wearing an old home kit) which I duly returned. My missus was like "everytime you wear that bloody thing something like that happens":cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:13 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
Saw lots of glum looking rags heading home from Wembley on the north circular (in a southerly direction:D) when I was out for a walk yesterday, a couple did manage to throw wanker signs at me (i was wearing an old home kit) which I duly returned. My missus was like "everytime you wear that bloody thing something like that happens":cool:

I was stuck in slow-moving traffic the other evening and a car coming towards me slowed down and the driver gave me the finger and shouted "Yaaah, you blue twat!" apparently having spotted the City badge dangling from my rear-view mirror.
I must admit to almost soiling myself as I wasn't expecting it at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:27 pm 

Buffbill wrote:
I was stuck in slow-moving traffic the other evening and a car coming towards me slowed down and the driver gave me the finger and shouted "Yaaah, you blue twat!" apparently having spotted the City badge dangling from my rear-view mirror.
I must admit to almost soiling myself as I wasn't expecting it at all.

I get this quite a lot, I enjoy it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:15 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
EalingBlue wrote:
I get this quite a lot, I enjoy it

An often occurance in Huddersfield.....
Even when my company changed my car to a red one, the mere small city tax disc holder incited hatred...when someone crossing the road at the lights spat out a booger at the windscreen...sad innit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:27 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:

i got this in bluewater, from a bunch of liverpool fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:31 pm 

Who honestly cares about the Community Shield? It is just a glorified friendly which wastes players energy and puts more on the injury list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:38 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:
Who honestly cares about the Community Shield? It is just a glorified friendly which wastes players energy and puts more on the injury list.

That's an accurate interpretation of what most united fans WILL be saying.

They weren't when they equalised in the 90th minute..
Can somebody clear that up for me? Was it offside?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:47 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:

and seeing as it is chelsea and united subject to those, that is reason enough to like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:51 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
and seeing as it is chelsea and united subject to those, that is reason enough to like it.

I never thought of it like that ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:52 pm 

JackTheBlue wrote:
I never thought of it like that ;)

But next year.. well that's a different story ;) :whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:02 pm 

davepat123 wrote:
But next year.. well that's a different story ;) :whistle:

Next year it will cease to be a glorified friendly ;)
hahaha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
i got this in bluewater, from a bunch of liverpool fans.

i'd rather kill myself than go there again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 pm 

Didn't take long, did it?

One weekend down, and the story I see on loading F365 first thing on Monday morning is Fergie moaning at the referee.

Despite the Community Shield's status of basically being a jumped-up friendly, any fixture which pits Manchester United against Chelsea will not be played for fun. Throw in Wembley as a venue, 80,000-plus people and a TV audience and all thoughts of charity are thrown out of the window.

It was an up-tempo game; not a classic, but a decent spectacle and a more enjoyable game than expected. It was not particularly bad tempered, until Chelsea scored a second goal, those affiliated to the team in red took it badly, and relations worsened.

Let's have some facts: The second Chelsea goal, scored by Frank Lampard, had its roots in a Manchester United attack, led down the left by Patrice Evra. He flicked the ball inside to Rooney, tried to run down the outside and was bodychecked by Michael Ballack.

Rooney played a ball inside, Michael Carrick's flick gave the ball away, and Chelsea broke quickly to set up Lampard, who fired home past an unimpressive Ben Foster. Tellingly, Lampard scored from an inside-right position which ought to have been occupied by United's left-back, who happened to be lying on the floor at the time.

Sir Alex Ferguson, no stranger to hyperbole, suggested that Michael Ballack should have been sent off for elbowing Evra.

In reality, it is not a sending-off. Is it really violent conduct? Of course not. It's a cynical block, admittedly, but it's never an elbow.

It's a foul and a booking, frankly, but United had the ball at the time, so it was the right thing that play went on. They had the advantage, and it was their fault they lost the ball.

A slight problem with this is that referee Chris Foy did not acknowledge the foul. He did not wave advantage as the ball rolled to Rooney, which would indicate that he didn't see an infringement.

If Sir Alex is angry with anyone, he should be annoyed with his French full-back. From the replays I've seen, Ballack doesn't make much, if any, contact with Evra's face. He certainly blocks him and pushes him away, but it's probably not his face, and not physically strong enough to cause the damage Evra claims. Had he got up and chased back he might have saved his side a goal. Instead, the left-back area is free for Lampard to wander free and crash one home.

I'm not sure where the problem lies for United and Mr Ferguson after that. The red card claim is ludicrous, and the United boss himself said that he didn't blame Chelsea for carrying on with play. So I guess he felt the referee should have stopped play.

It's the greyest of grey areas in the rulebook. Over the years, it's become a sort of courtesy that the ball is kicked out of play so that the game stops and a trainer comes on to tend to a fallen player. The laws state that only the referee has the power to call a halt to proceedings, but when something becomes a prevailing tradition like, it's hard to reverse.

I think we are starting to get the idea a little more in this country that it should be solely in the referee's hands to stop play. If you are Man United, though, you'd possibly begin to say that this rule does not work correctly if the referee does not know when to stop the game at the right time.

The loose guideline for officials is that you stop play when it is a head injury or an injury serious enough to need immediate attention, such as a broken leg. Evra was down holding his head, so if he had been struck there, perhaps Foy should have stopped the game to allow attention to him.

This is where, to me, the decision not to give a foul, i.e. wave advantage, becomes important. Mr Foy (wrongly in my opinion) saw no infringement by Ballack on Evra, but had he have done, I think he would have been more likely to have blown to allow some treatment to Evra when the attack broke down. I think he felt Evra was overreacting, and so did not stop play and hence Chelsea's break and goal.

I can't feel sorry for United because I do feel that Evra was making a meal of it. I can't prove that of course, and I'm prepared to be shouted down, but if the referee feels that a player is making the most of something he is within his rights to let it go. You could argue that he should follow that logic and caution Evra for simulation, which covers conning the referee as much as diving, but I'd say like a child looking for attention, if you ignore it, it will stop playing up.

Referees are much maligned for falling for prima donna players' antics, so to call their bluff once in a while won't hurt. I guess the suggestion is that in another situation Mr Foy has stopped play for an injury, but I'd testify that he simply felt that on that occasion the situation warranted a stoppage. That's not inconsistency; it's just applying your interpretation.

To me there is very little wrong. Fergie's red card theory is a fairy story, and frankly he should not have been happy with Evra after.

Rob McNichol

Quote:
The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go. And so I became a waiter ... Well, it's not much of a philosophy I know ... but well ... fuck you! I can live my own life in my own way if I want to! Fuck off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:06 pm 

can i have a 2 line summary...;)