Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Barton to be sacked?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:40 am 

Still, they probably won't mind so much if they can get £13m out of him for the pleasure of tearing up his contract. Would they be considering doing this if he had played really well last season or they didn't (reportedly) need ot trim the wage bill before bringing in new players?

[color="Blue"]Newcastle United want to sack jailed Joey Barton - or force him to take a massive drop in wages.

Barton was sentenced to six months for common assault and affray following an incident in Liverpool's Church Street and although he hopes to be released early - possibly by the end of this month - it is still rated too big an offence by the Geordie chiefs.

Now a top-level decision has been made to start the process of tearing up his contract, which still has four years to run. The club are even investigating the possibility of trying to claim money from Barton as compensation.

Newcastle's move comes after Chelsea won a case against Adrian Mutu who was sacked for drug abuse - with the Stamford Bridge club now being told they are entitled to claim against him for the remainder of his contract.

If that course of action was repeated at Newcastle they could go after Barton for a staggering £13 million - the whole value of the remainder of his £65,000-a-week deal.

In a fresh twist, Barton's advisers reduced wage. Barton's aides claim Newcastle gave them three options: to take a wage cut, to be sold for a pay-as-you-play fee or to have his deal ripped up.

Advertisement

Now, however, it seems that Newcastle would prefer to sack Barton and he could be gone within days if an agreement is reached. Boss Kevin Keegan would like to keep the player, but the 'hawks' at Newcastle think otherwise.

Barton joined Newcastle for £6.3 million a year ago when he had another court case hanging over his head - the alleged attack on Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

However, the incident in Liverpool led to his jailing and now looks almost certain to have brought down the curtain on his Newcastle career.[/color]

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:49 am 
Labmonkey wrote:
Still, they probably won't mind so much if they can get £13m out of him for the pleasure of tearing up his contract. Would they be considering doing this if he had played really well last season or they didn't (reportedly) need ot trim the wage bill before bringing in new players?

[color="Blue"]Newcastle United want to sack jailed Joey Barton - or force him to take a massive drop in wages.

Barton was sentenced to six months for common assault and affray following an incident in Liverpool's Church Street and although he hopes to be released early - possibly by the end of this month - it is still rated too big an offence by the Geordie chiefs.

Now a top-level decision has been made to start the process of tearing up his contract, which still has four years to run. The club are even investigating the possibility of trying to claim money from Barton as compensation.

Newcastle's move comes after Chelsea won a case against Adrian Mutu who was sacked for drug abuse - with the Stamford Bridge club now being told they are entitled to claim against him for the remainder of his contract.

If that course of action was repeated at Newcastle they could go after Barton for a staggering £13 million - the whole value of the remainder of his £65,000-a-week deal.

In a fresh twist, Barton's advisers reduced wage. Barton's aides claim Newcastle gave them three options: to take a wage cut, to be sold for a pay-as-you-play fee or to have his deal ripped up.

Advertisement

Now, however, it seems that Newcastle would prefer to sack Barton and he could be gone within days if an agreement is reached. Boss Kevin Keegan would like to keep the player, but the 'hawks' at Newcastle think otherwise.

Barton joined Newcastle for £6.3 million a year ago when he had another court case hanging over his head - the alleged attack on Manchester City team-mate Ousmane Dabo.

However, the incident in Liverpool led to his jailing and now looks almost certain to have brought down the curtain on his Newcastle career.[/color]

Would anyone sign him? Presumably he still has the Dabo case hanging over him. A guilty verdict there would see him go to jail for a lot longer than a few months.

Perhaps we'll see him signing on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:56 am 

He has been given countless chances to redeem himself and repair his career over the years, he has chosen to throw the chances back in the faces of his employers at City and Newcastle (and Dabo's). So for that I now say he deserves the harshest of punishments by club, and judicial system. I really hope he is hung out to dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:25 am 

cheeky bid? we do need an enforcer in the mf

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:28 am 
Miggs V3 wrote:
cheeky bid? we do need an enforcer in the mf

Barton never exactly enforced though did he. Generally he gave the ball away a lot and scored the odd spectacular goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:29 am 

He's on £65k a week? I assumed he was on around £35k. Newcastle really were taken for mugs when he signed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:30 am 
Squidge wrote:
He's on £65k a week? I assumed he was on around £35k. Newcastle really were taken for mugs when he signed

They are the most inept club in Britain though, so prolly no surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:30 am 

nah just thought id post a blatantly stupid post, ............. for a change

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:33 am 
Not sure how they can request 13mil off him though. If he hasn't been paid that, and they sack him then the best they can claim is what they already paid him, unless they're seeking damages but the article doesn't state that. It says they want the full amount of his contract. Makes no sense. There's not a judge in the world would uphold that. Still, fuck him I say. Try to take the violent little shit for every penny. Ain't karma a bitch, Joey?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:56 am 

[color="Blue"]Newcastle's move comes after Chelsea won a case against Adrian Mutu who was sacked for drug abuse - with the Stamford Bridge club now being told they are entitled to claim against him for the remainder of his contract.[/color]

That's why they think they might have a chance, but I don't understand the logic of the judgement either. You can't say 'you're not being paid this money by your ex-employer so instead you need to pay that money to them'. Apparently Mutu will probably challenge the ruling in a civil court.

Still funny though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:57 am 

mutu would be worth a bid, proven goal scorer and still banging up.... err i mean banging them in

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:43 pm 

Labmonkey wrote:
[color="Blue"]Newcastle's move comes after Chelsea won a case against Adrian Mutu who was sacked for drug abuse - with the Stamford Bridge club now being told they are entitled to claim against him for the remainder of his contract.[/color]

That's why they think they might have a chance, but I don't understand the logic of the judgement either. You can't say 'you're not being paid this money by your ex-employer so instead you need to pay that money to them'. Apparently Mutu will probably challenge the ruling in a civil court.

Still funny though.

I don't see the logic in this either. What should be owed is the transfer fee and wages when he should have been playing and wasn't available and he was still getting a wage. (why they would pay someone still who is unable to fulfill his contract seems a rather strange one.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:50 pm 

football is a strange world franky

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 pm 

Miggs V3 wrote:
football is a strange world franky

and like Septic Bladder, it comes undone in the real world.
i can't see the Mutu ruling standing up in a real court of law.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:53 pm 

fo shizzle

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:04 pm 

Won't happen. Newcastle wont sack him. Not even if before he pulls on a football shirt again he is sent down for the Dabo beating too. Cuz they accepted that was a possibility before they took him on in the first place. Legally, if they wanted to do it they'd have to do it now. Otherwise I think he'd have a case for unfair dismissal.
Seen an interview the other day where he talked about that incident with Dabo. He still thinks he did nothing wrong and doesn't care if he goes to jail because he's conscience is clear. He came across as such an arrogant twat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:23 pm 

Wasn't it reported that there was a clause in his contract about what happens if/when he got sent down? Seem to remember it gave them the right to terminate his contract. I've read another report that said Newcastle will offer him half wages now but that the offer will be withdrawn if he gets convicted over the Dabo incident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:28 pm 

Labmonkey wrote:
Wasn't it reported that there was a clause in his contract about what happens if/when he got sent down? Seem to remember it gave them the right to terminate his contract. I've read another report that said Newcastle will offer him half wages now but that the offer will be withdrawn if he gets convicted over the Dabo incident.

I think you may be right. I'd forgotten about that. But you read that much contradictory stuff about stuff it's hard remember all the stuff. Plus, sorting the wheat stuff from the chaff stuff is... Well that's fucking impossible. Which gives me a convenient get out from any bollocks I may talk. :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:55 am 
save me jeebus wrote:
I think you may be right. I'd forgotten about that. But you read that much contradictory stuff about stuff it's hard remember all the stuff. Plus, sorting the wheat stuff from the chaff stuff is... Well that's fucking impossible. Which gives me a convenient get out from any bollocks I may talk. :rolleyes:

Get stuffed. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:02 am 

65k a week......WHAT THE FUCK