Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6+5
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:40 pm 

The Football Association have voted in favour of further exploration into Fifa's much-maligned 'six-plus-five' rule which would see a restriction on the number of foreign players allowed in starting XIs.

The president of world football's governing body, Sepp Blatter, is keen to see the initiative implemented in time for the 2012/13 season but had seen his plans meet by widespread concern.

However, having presented the concept at Fifa's Congress in Sydney this week he has received overwhelming support.

The FA, along with many of their European counterparts, have asked for Uefa to work with Fifa in order to explore how the proposal could be introduced, but have backed the idea in theory.

Reservations

A spokesman for the FA said: "Bringing through more high-quality English players in the future is an absolute priority for the FA.

"One of our reservations has always been that the 'six-plus-five' rule appears to contravene European law and we welcome further exploration of its legality.

"However, this is a question of balance and we believe first and foremost in a meritocracy system, where players appear in club teams based on performance and ability.

"This is at the core of our coach and player development strategy over the coming years."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm 
Would leave us in a good position given the quality of our academy. Assuming we continue to bring them through that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:59 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Would leave us in a good position given the quality of our academy. Assuming we continue to bring them through that is.

As I said ON THE OTHER THREAD ABOUT THIS, the so called big four would buy up all our English talent and leave us and everyone else with the dregs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 pm 

Emigre wrote:

However, our academy has included the likes of Ireland and Ched Evans who are "Foreign" players.
They tried to do this shit in Italy in the 90s and in the Champions League. It was a fiasco and it was illegal and it was stopped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:12 pm 

slart wrote:
However, our academy has included the likes of Ireland and Ched Evans who are "Foreign" players.
They tried to do this shit in Italy in the 90s and in the Champions League. It was a fiasco and it was illegal and it was stopped.

There was a bloke from the Sports Institute on Talk Sport this morning, be basically said that the FIFA plan no matter how good it is or isn't will not get past the EU laws on employment. He said that if Brussels would turn it down out of hand because if they make an exception for footy, they'd be forced into bending the rules in other area's.
He said the best way forward was the UEFA '3+3' home grown plan that has been approved by the EU and is being put into place for next seasons UEFA cup and CL. Players like Evens and Ireland are classed as being home grown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm 

ESM wrote:
There was a bloke from the Sports Institute on Talk Sport this morning, be basically said that the FIFA plan no matter how good it is or isn't will not get past the EU laws on employment. He said that if Brussels would turn it down out of hand because if they make an exception for footy, they'd be forced into bending the rules in other area's.
He said the best way forward was the UEFA '3+3' home grown plan that has been approved by the EU and is being put into place for next seasons UEFA cup and CL. Players like Evens and Ireland are classed as being home grown.

You can't beat a bit of home grown...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:30 pm 

slart wrote:

They're only tryin' it now cuz it's English teams at the top and must be stopped. I hate Blatter. I can't put into words how much I hate Blatter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 pm 

save me jeebus wrote:
They're only tryin' it now cuz it's English teams at the top and must be stopped. I hate Blatter. I can't put into words how much I hate Blatter.

It'll all go tits up.

Last time the footy governing bodies tried to work outside of employment law we ended up with the fucking Bosman ruling which was the start of huge salaries, players deliberately running down contracts, clubs left out of pocket.