Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:53 am 

The state of the Luzhniki Stadium pitch is causing concern ahead of Wednesday's all-English Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Englishman Matt Frost, who oversaw the laying of a new grass surface at the Moscow venue just 15 days ago, admits he has fears ahead of the game.

"The pitch is acceptable but it is a big personal disappointment for me," Frost told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Things didn't go well from the start, the pitch has only been down 15 days."

The old synthetic pitch was ripped up after England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Russia in October and a new grass one laid in readiness for the final.

606: DEBATE
Moscow is my oyster and I intend to find out what the chat is in this maverick city

BBC Sport's Jonathan Stevenson
But experts decided it was too bumpy, prompting stadium authorities to lay another at a cost of £160,000 and using turf from Slovakia.

Frost had claimed last week that he would provide a "Rolls-Royce of a pitch" for the final, but now he has clear reservations.

"I'm totally disappointed with the whole project and what we are presenting for the final," he said.

"My main achievement is that we have got a new pitch down.

"If I hadn't persuaded them, they would have used the old one which would have been a catastrophe."

Asked whether he felt the pitch could have an adverse affect on the final, Frost, who was responsible for the pitch for last year's Champions League final in Athens, said he was uncertain.

"You never know how it could affect the game," he said. "Until you actually play on it you don't know. There is always that apprehension."

Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

News conference: Sir Alex Ferguson
Uefa is confident the pitch, home to Torpedo and Spartak Moscow, will not be a problem, although it admitted it may not look good.

"We are slightly worried about the look of it," Uefa spokesman William Gaillard told Radio 5 Live.

"In terms of the quality, we have made some tests in the last few days and it is perfectly fine.

"It may not look very, very green on television, but, essentially, it is a good pitch to play football on. At this stage, we are confident it will be fine."

Chelsea and Manchester United, who arrived in Moscow on Monday evening, will train on the pitch on Tuesday.

"The first time (manager) Alex (Ferguson) and the players will see it is when they train on it later this evening," Manchester United chief executive David Gill told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Clearly, the pitch is the most important thing and I know Uefa will be looking at that very carefully and seeing what they can do to make sure it is in as good a condition as possible for the game."

Neither side have any injury worries, with Chelsea pair John Terry and Didier Drogba expected to play after overcoming injuries.

United are aiming to secure their second Champions League trophy - and their third European Cup overall - following the 2-1 defeat of Bayern Munich in 1999.

One man who missed that match through suspension was Paul Scholes, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has taken a 24-man squad to Moscow, has promised the midfielder a place in his starting line-up.

It could also be a memorable night for Ryan Giggs, who is poised to overtake Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 758 appearances.

We know their weaknesses and strengths, and they know ours.

Avram Grant
"I know my team, I think, but I haven't enjoyed picking it. Some very good players will miss out and it's not easy to tell them that," said Ferguson.

"The whole squad has contributed to the season and some will be disappointed.

"But our form is good, we're undefeated in Europe this year, and we beat a very good team in the semi-final. That is a good indication of the quality of our team.

"We have a younger team than Chelsea, yes, but I don't know if that matters. We have a big-game temperament, that's what counts."

The match falls 50 years after the Munich air crash claimed the lives of 23 people, including eight United players, but Ferguson insists that will not affect the team.

"I think it affected us badly when we played Manchester City (and lost 2-1 on 10 Feb), but this time it's more of a carnival build-up and it won't weigh on us," he said.

"Fate is fate, I suppose, so we will see if it's meant to be."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant, meanwhile, leads the Blues into a Champions League final for the first time in the club's history - and insists there will be few surprises from either side.

"Everyone knows everyone, so tactically it's easy. I don't think Sir Alex will surprise me and I don't think I'll surprise him," he said.

Cannot play media. You do not have the correct version of the flash player. Download the correct version

News conference: Chelsea boss Avram Grant
"We know their weaknesses and strengths, and they know ours. Motivationally-speaking, it's easy too.

"We're in the final of the Champions League - a great achievement - but we want more.

"No-one gave us a chance of winning the title but we fought very well, won a lot of games in the last few months, and ran United close.

"Now we want to do better in Moscow."

Speculation remains that the final could be Grant's last as Chelsea manager, but the Israeli said last week: "What can I say? I will make it simple - I have a contract for four years and it is a contract between friends.

"If Chelsea don't want me, that's one thing, but whatever happens the future is very good for Chelsea, I promise you."

More than 40,000 English fans are expected to travel to watch the match.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Russia has declared the region a visa-free regime from 17 May to 25 May for all fans with a valid match ticket.

If fans are drunk, don't you worry, we'll make them sober

Moscow's public safety chief Igor Konovalov

However, a small number of tickets remain, prompting fears the Luzhniki Stadium may not be a sell-out come kick-off at 1945 BST.

Anyone planning on excessive drinking in Moscow, though, has been warned against it.

The city has special 'drink police' who travel around with mobile cells, looking for drunks, and if those cells are full, offenders risk being taken to 'sobering houses'.

Igor Konovalov, the head of Moscow's public safety department, told the Daily Mail that fans would feel the full force of the law if they were seen drunk in public.

"If our laws are violated, we'll take the measures that are allowed by our law with no exceptions," he said.

"If fans are drunk, don't you worry, we'll make them sober. They must know they must not come to the game drunk, or indeed to the city."

Slovakian Lubos Michel will referee the match - the man who officiated the Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Liverpool in 2005, when Luis Garcia was controversially award the goal that saw the Reds to the final.

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:05 am 

Ready made excuse for Fergie then

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:22 am 

I see that they had to get in the obligatory 50 years since....

:rolleyes:

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:26 am 

They're hoping to get the country's sympathy vote, but it's just going to backfire and make me piss myself when it does!

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:41 pm 

Hope lady boy goes down with an ACL and they get hammered 3 nil

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:01 pm 

"I think it affected us badly when we played Manchester City (and lost 2-1 on 10 Feb), but this time it's more of a carnival build-up and it won't weigh on us,"

Excuse for losing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:05 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
The state of the Luzhniki Stadium pitch is causing concern ahead of Wednesday's all-English Champions League final between Chelsea and Manchester United.

Englishman Matt Frost, who oversaw the laying of a new grass surface at the Moscow venue just 15 days ago, admits he has fears ahead of the game.

"The pitch is acceptable but it is a big personal disappointment for me," Frost told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Things didn't go well from the start, the pitch has only been down 15 days."

The old synthetic pitch was ripped up after England's Euro 2008 qualifier against Russia in October and a new grass one laid in readiness for the final.

606: DEBATE
Moscow is my oyster and I intend to find out what the chat is in this maverick city

BBC Sport's Jonathan Stevenson
But experts decided it was too bumpy, prompting stadium authorities to lay another at a cost of £160,000 and using turf from Slovakia.

Frost had claimed last week that he would provide a "Rolls-Royce of a pitch" for the final, but now he has clear reservations.

"I'm totally disappointed with the whole project and what we are presenting for the final," he said.

"My main achievement is that we have got a new pitch down.

"If I hadn't persuaded them, they would have used the old one which would have been a catastrophe."

Asked whether he felt the pitch could have an adverse affect on the final, Frost, who was responsible for the pitch for last year's Champions League final in Athens, said he was uncertain.

"You never know how it could affect the game," he said. "Until you actually play on it you don't know. There is always that apprehension."

News conference: Sir Alex Ferguson
Uefa is confident the pitch, home to Torpedo and Spartak Moscow, will not be a problem, although it admitted it may not look good.

"We are slightly worried about the look of it," Uefa spokesman William Gaillard told Radio 5 Live.

"In terms of the quality, we have made some tests in the last few days and it is perfectly fine.

"It may not look very, very green on television, but, essentially, it is a good pitch to play football on. At this stage, we are confident it will be fine."

Chelsea and Manchester United, who arrived in Moscow on Monday evening, will train on the pitch on Tuesday.

"The first time (manager) Alex (Ferguson) and the players will see it is when they train on it later this evening," Manchester United chief executive David Gill told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Clearly, the pitch is the most important thing and I know Uefa will be looking at that very carefully and seeing what they can do to make sure it is in as good a condition as possible for the game."

Neither side have any injury worries, with Chelsea pair John Terry and Didier Drogba expected to play after overcoming injuries.

United are aiming to secure their second Champions League trophy - and their third European Cup overall - following the 2-1 defeat of Bayern Munich in 1999.

One man who missed that match through suspension was Paul Scholes, but manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who has taken a 24-man squad to Moscow, has promised the midfielder a place in his starting line-up.

It could also be a memorable night for Ryan Giggs, who is poised to overtake Sir Bobby Charlton's club record of 758 appearances.

We know their weaknesses and strengths, and they know ours.

Avram Grant
"I know my team, I think, but I haven't enjoyed picking it. Some very good players will miss out and it's not easy to tell them that," said Ferguson.

"The whole squad has contributed to the season and some will be disappointed.

"But our form is good, we're undefeated in Europe this year, and we beat a very good team in the semi-final. That is a good indication of the quality of our team.

"We have a younger team than Chelsea, yes, but I don't know if that matters. We have a big-game temperament, that's what counts."

The match falls 50 years after the Munich air crash claimed the lives of 23 people, including eight United players, but Ferguson insists that will not affect the team.

"I think it affected us badly when we played Manchester City (and lost 2-1 on 10 Feb), but this time it's more of a carnival build-up and it won't weigh on us," he said.

"Fate is fate, I suppose, so we will see if it's meant to be."

Chelsea manager Avram Grant, meanwhile, leads the Blues into a Champions League final for the first time in the club's history - and insists there will be few surprises from either side.

"Everyone knows everyone, so tactically it's easy. I don't think Sir Alex will surprise me and I don't think I'll surprise him," he said.

News conference: Chelsea boss Avram Grant
"We know their weaknesses and strengths, and they know ours. Motivationally-speaking, it's easy too.

"We're in the final of the Champions League - a great achievement - but we want more.

"No-one gave us a chance of winning the title but we fought very well, won a lot of games in the last few months, and ran United close.

"Now we want to do better in Moscow."

Speculation remains that the final could be Grant's last as Chelsea manager, but the Israeli said last week: "What can I say? I will make it simple - I have a contract for four years and it is a contract between friends.

"If Chelsea don't want me, that's one thing, but whatever happens the future is very good for Chelsea, I promise you."

More than 40,000 English fans are expected to travel to watch the match.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Russia has declared the region a visa-free regime from 17 May to 25 May for all fans with a valid match ticket.

If fans are drunk, don't you worry, we'll make them sober

Moscow's public safety chief Igor Konovalov

However, a small number of tickets remain, prompting fears the Luzhniki Stadium may not be a sell-out come kick-off at 1945 BST.

Anyone planning on excessive drinking in Moscow, though, has been warned against it.

The city has special 'drink police' who travel around with mobile cells, looking for drunks, and if those cells are full, offenders risk being taken to 'sobering houses'.

Igor Konovalov, the head of Moscow's public safety department, told the Daily Mail that fans would feel the full force of the law if they were seen drunk in public.

"If our laws are violated, we'll take the measures that are allowed by our law with no exceptions," he said.

"If fans are drunk, don't you worry, we'll make them sober. They must know they must not come to the game drunk, or indeed to the city."

Slovakian Lubos Michel will referee the match - the man who officiated the Champions League semi-final between Chelsea and Liverpool in 2005, when Luis Garcia was controversially award the goal that saw the Reds to the final.

Mad me LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:32 pm 

I think the rule when you go abroad is you can act the bollocks and get arrested and you should be ok as long as they don't use a diferent alphabet to us.