Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:33 pm 
Bluewythy wrote:
i was meant to be staying at my girlfriend's tonight who lives near printworks, but no way im leaving my car on the road there tonight with 100,000 drunk pissed off football fans walking around.

Yeah, the fuckers are trashing Manchester according to the news. Ah, the predictable nature of humanity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:51 pm 

909 has just had a caller saying Riot Police are at Piccadilly coz the screen didn't work, so it kicked off there.
Ah well, there's always next year for the Jock bastards!

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 pm 

909 has just had a caller saying Piccadilly is full of Riot Police. Apparently it kicked of major! They couldn't get the screen to work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:54 pm 

Apologies for the double announcement, said my first wasn't sent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm 

Its just been reported on Sky news that a Zenit fan has been stabbed outide the ground. No need really.

I don't know which game David Moyes had been watching. I pissed my sides when he said it had been a close game

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm 

Browse Sections
Business

Technology

Greenlife

Health

Showbiz

Education

Local elections

Shipman

Special reports

User comments

Interactive
Video
Audio
Your pictures
Your comments
Blogs
Competitions
Popular Sections
Manchester City
Manchester United
News
Motoring
Family notices
Competition

Win Evita tickets
THREE lucky winners will win a pair of tickets to see Evita, the award winning musical masterpiece by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Click here for details Weather
Patchy clouds

3 day forecast News
Print Article | Share this article | Submit Comments | View Comments(4)
What's this?
Email del.icio.us Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon Newsvine Google Bookmarks Netscape Technorati Windows Live Yahoo! MyWeb Ma.gnolia

Police confront fans at Piccadilly Gardens
View gallery (total of 5 images)

advertisement

Fan stabbed outside Eastlands

14/ 5/2008

A RUSSIAN fan was stabbed outside the City of Manchester football stadium after the UEFA Cup final between Rangers and Zenit St Petersburg.

The fan sustained non-life threatening injuries and six men, believed to be Rangers fans, have been arrested for a serious assault according to police.

Earlier, trouble flared in Manchester City centre after the big screen at Piccadilly Gardens failed just before the game kicked off.

Fans reacted furiously to the technical hitch, pelting the screen with bottles as the game started at the City of Manchester Stadium.

Rangers fans fought running battles with riot police on Market Street and Oldham Street. The screen originally showed a message saying the problem was being sorted out, but about 15 minutes into the game, it shut down completely.

Rangers fans, who had climbed on trucks, loos and statues to catch a look of the game, began to disperse from the area, while a police helicopter circled above.

Soon, railings surrounding the city centre fanzone had been torn down as angry supporters began squabbling and scuffling between themselves.

Tempers

By the time police arrived, tempers had reached fever pitch.

A number of fans were hit with batons, and officers had to use riot shields to protect themselves from glass being thrown. Stunned passers-by filmed the action as police pushed the hooligans farther away from Piccadilly.

Before the screen failure, thousands of fans had enjoyed a carnival atmosphere in the city centre in the build up to the game.

One fan, Elizabeth Gunn, 42, from Altrincham, said: “The Rangers fans are fantastic, but they’ve been badly let down.

“All my family have come from Scotland to watch the match, and they’ve been left disappointed. The council had plenty of time to make sure the signal was working. When the screen stopped working, the trouble began.

“People will say that Rangers fans are bad, but this has been very badly organised. I live in Manchester and I’m proud to come from Manchester and I’m proud to live in Manchester, but this is a disgrace. The city centre was strewn with empty pizza boxes, empty cans of lager, newspapers and plastic bags.”

Zenit won the game 2-0 thanks to goals from Igor Denisov and Konstatin Zyryanov.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:00 pm 

could be worse. could have been the munich, pope shagging pikey fuckers in town tonight, then it really would have been WW3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:39 pm 
I can't believe that they try to blame Manchester for it. So the screen doesn't work, that justifies you rioting does it? What the fuck where the twats doing in Manchester anyway if they didn't have tickets. Are they that stupid?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:49 pm 
[color="DarkRed"]One said: "We've been sat here since 12 o'clock waiting on the game coming on. The coverage started at seven o'clock and then five minutes later the game's off. It's an absolute shambles, shame on Manchester, shame on Manchester - it's let the country down."[/color]

What a fucking prick the guy who said this is. Ridiculous justification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:12 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJwsWeiIwgI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJo-2S-EV10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzztFxoYbcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdnoVGV_AZA

This one is a take on Cloverfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_feUIvqwOA

Anyone think its a good idea for the Glasgow clubs to join the Premiership?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:02 pm 

magic mike wrote:

One fan, Elizabeth Gunn, 42, from Altrincham, said: “The Rangers fans are fantastic, but they’ve been badly let down.

Bollix!.....theres never an excuse to act like a neanderthal...wheres the logic in that?...we cant see the game so were gonna tear the city apart?...I saw the report on the news last night and it didnt seem like a 'small minority' of rangers fans to me...its a shame too since I really thought Rangers were finally getting their act together...cutting down on sectarian chants etc(the news report last night showed them in 'carnival' mood before the game too...singing sectarian songs!!)...their history in euro matches is probably the worst in the UK...there should be steps taken against them to make them listen next time...not just a slap on the wrist fine.