This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cheer up...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:10 pm 

:D

Barton faces action over assault

Joey Barton was released from jail last month
Footballer Joey Barton faces legal action for allegedly ruining the career of a former team-mate.

Barton, 25, who plays for Newcastle Utd, stubbed a lit cigar in the face of trainee Jamie Tandy at Manchester City's Christmas party in 2004.

No police action was taken at the time of the incident but the midfielder was fined by his former club.

Tandy, 23, of Whitefield, Greater Manchester, is now pursuing a civil claim for damages against Barton.

The claim has been confirmed by Tandy's legal representatives.

Tandy claimed he suffered a "major psychiatric deterioration" following the assault, which he said ultimately forced him out of the game at the top level.

Matthew Clayton, of Manchester-based law firm Ralli, said: "Mr Tandy is a client of ours and we are in the process of launching civil proceedings.

High-profile case

"As a result of the assault by Joey Barton our client has suffered a major psychiatric deterioration in his health that has destroyed any chance he may have had of playing professional football at a high level.

"Understandably this is a high-profile case and at this stage we are unable to comment further."

Tandy was released by Manchester City after he broke his leg while playing on loan with a Danish club.

He is understood to be on the verge of joining non-league Hyde United on semi-professional terms.

Last month Barton was released from jail after serving 74 days of a six-month sentence for beating up a teenager in Liverpool city centre.

He is currently serving a suspended sentence for a separate assault on ex-Manchester City colleague Ousmane Dabo in a training ground row.

The Newcastle United player pleaded guilty to both attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:13 pm 

Much as I dislike Barton I don't think this kind of opportunistic litigious behaviour is good for anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:17 pm 

Everybody's looking for a chance to make money out of somebody else. Chances are Tandy was crap and when he left football his lawyers said, "hang on a minute, we can make some dough here. Let's sue Joey Barton. Everybody hates him, we'll win easy." Not really on. Hope he wins though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:18 pm 

im usually against people jumping on a band wagon making complaints later when the culprit is more high profile. but it's barton. so fuck him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:24 pm 

Two recent things we can thank the Yanks for: litigation culture and obesity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:25 pm 

I fully intend to sue America for making me a fat pie eating bastard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:31 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
im usually against people jumping on a band wagon making complaints later when the culprit is more high profile. but it's barton. so fuck him.

Conker!

BTW, I heard at the wknd that Barton paid £10,000 to a fixer so that he didn't get the crapped kicked out of him in Strangways.

Wanker!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:37 pm 

KickerConspiracy wrote:
Conker!

BTW, I heard at the wknd that Barton paid £10,000 to a fixer so that he didn't get the crapped kicked out of him in Strangways.

Wanker!

And, presumably, having it shoved further into him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:39 pm 

It is a bit opportunistic but --- well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:47 pm 

Old Ed wrote:
Everybody's looking for a chance to make money out of somebody else. Chances are Tandy was crap and when he left football his lawyers said, "hang on a minute, we can make some dough here. Let's sue Joey Barton. Everybody hates him, we'll win easy." Not really on. Hope he wins though.

Agreed. 1. Why didn't he sue at the time? 2. He wasn't so psychologically damaged that he couldn't continue playing. 3. The broken leg probably had as much to do with the end of his career as anything. I can't see him being awarded anything, but then you never know with our judicial system.

It's prolly a combination of Barton being a public hate figure whose antics are starting to come home to roost and the fact that ex-rag player got awarded a stupid amount of money for his unfulfilled* potential to make a ton of cash out of playing football.

*unproven

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:02 pm 

Labmonkey wrote:
Agreed. 1. Why didn't he sue at the time? 2. He wasn't so psychologically damaged that he couldn't continue playing. 3. The broken leg probably had as much to do with the end of his career as anything. I can't see him being awarded anything, but then you never know with our judicial system.

It's prolly a combination of Barton being a public hate figure whose antics are starting to come home to roost and the fact that ex-rag player got awarded a stupid amount of money for his unfulfilled* potential to make a ton of cash out of playing football.

*unproven

"lets sue joey barton" would be a good chant though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:03 pm 

Benny wrote:
"lets sue joey barton" would be a good chant though.

Conquer :D

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:35 pm 

He was probably stopped in town by those guys with clipboards who say "Have you had any accidents or Injuries in the last 3 years"? And he said 'yeah I have, that Joey Barton stubbed a cigar in my mince pie. Innit". Then guy with clipboard twiddled his evil pointy mustache, put his arm round Tandy and said, "hahaha, Come this way my friend", then accidentally cut his lip on a fang.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:58 am 

didnt city ship him off on loan to a danish club or something after the incident? he should be suing the club really for protecting barton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:01 am 

Tandy:

"After what happened I became a bit of a d**k-head" he says. "I started drinking a bit too much.
"Even when I moved to Droylsden I was only there to pick up extra money. I completely fell out of love with the gam because it's full of back stabbing w**kers."
Tandy remembers the incident with Barton in graphic detail. "The main thing I remember is the pain" he says, "It was horrendous. I ran to the toilet and when I looked in the mirror my eyeball was full of burning red ash. You couldn't see the pupil or anything. I had to dig it out with my hands. After that I ran out and tried to jump on him. I got on top of him but the bodyguards piled in. They chucked me out but Joey just carried on partying like nothing had happened.
"He rang me up a few days later to apologise but then he tried to say it was an accident. I just put the phone down."
Under pressure from Man City Tandy never reported the incident to police but is now suing Barton for damages. And the midfielder will certainly be hoping for more luck than he's had since leaving City.
"In November I was working as a scaffolder and someone dropped a bar on my head and knocked me out." he says. "Then I broke my feet. On the Monday I broke my right one running on the road, then Dave Pace wanted me at Droylsden on the Tuesday and I broke my left one falling off the coach.
"Finally I had a bad car crash in January and needed an emergency bowel dissection. I nearly died and was in hospital for 14 weeks. Everywher I go, s**t happens. I don't know why I bother doing the lottery.
But it sorted my head out. When I came out of hospital. I thought to myself'I'm going to really try this year and see what I can do'."

Poor little bugger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:56 am 

He's seen that rag get £4m and decided to have a go. He hasn't got the articulate Neviller as a witness, though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:34 am 

Bluewythy wrote:
Tandy:

"After what happened I became a bit of a d**k-head" he says. "I started drinking a bit too much.
"Even when I moved to Droylsden I was only there to pick up extra money. I completely fell out of love with the gam because it's full of back stabbing w**kers."
Tandy remembers the incident with Barton in graphic detail. "The main thing I remember is the pain" he says, "It was horrendous. I ran to the toilet and when I looked in the mirror my eyeball was full of burning red ash. You couldn't see the pupil or anything. I had to dig it out with my hands. After that I ran out and tried to jump on him. I got on top of him but the bodyguards piled in. They chucked me out but Joey just carried on partying like nothing had happened.
"He rang me up a few days later to apologise but then he tried to say it was an accident. I just put the phone down."
Under pressure from Man City Tandy never reported the incident to police but is now suing Barton for damages. And the midfielder will certainly be hoping for more luck than he's had since leaving City.
"In November I was working as a scaffolder and someone dropped a bar on my head and knocked me out." he says. "Then I broke my feet. On the Monday I broke my right one running on the road, then Dave Pace wanted me at Droylsden on the Tuesday and I broke my left one falling off the coach.
"Finally I had a bad car crash in January and needed an emergency bowel dissection. I nearly died and was in hospital for 14 weeks. Everywher I go, s**t happens. I don't know why I bother doing the lottery.
But it sorted my head out. When I came out of hospital. I thought to myself'I'm going to really try this year and see what I can do'."

Poor little bugger.

I laughed.