Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:24 pm 

El-Hadji Diouf signs for Doncaster Rovers
Page last updated at 14:07 GMT, Monday, 31 October 2011
E-mail this to a friend Printable version Diouf has been a controversial figure since moving to England nine years ago Senegal international striker El-Hadji Diouf has joined Doncaster Rovers on a three-month deal, subject to clearance.

The 30-year-old, who was released by Blackburn in the summer, has joined the Championship club after talks with boss Dean Saunders.

The two-time African Footballer of the Year previously played for Liverpool, Bolton, Sunderland and Rangers.

DIOUF CONTROVERSIESContinue reading the main story November 2002: Accused of spitting at West Ham fans while at Liverpool
September 2003: Fined £5,000 and pleads guilty to spitting at Celtic fans at a Uefa Cup quarter-final the previous March
November 2004: Charged with spitting at an 11-year-old Middlesbrough fan while on loan at Bolton
November 2004: Fined two weeks' wages and banned for three games for spitting at Portsmouth's Arjan de Zeeuw
September 2009: Questioned by police over allegations he racially abused a ball-boy at Everton
January 2011: Accused of taunting QPR's Jamie Mackie while he lay injured during their FA Cup clash with Blackburn
March 2011: Sent off in Rangers' derby match with Celtic after an altercation with Neil Lennon and showing dissent towards the referee.
July 2011: Fails to report for Blackburn's pre-season tour to Austria
Diouf told Sky Sports News: "I'm focused on doing my best for this club and after that we'll see what happens."

Rovers are deep in relegation trouble, joint bottom of the table with only nine points from 14 games.

"It's the challenge. I signed to help the team, do my best and play my football," added Diouf, who said he had been training with both Wigan Athletic and West Ham United.

"I'll try to make myself fit and why not try to help this team stay up?"

Diouf has scored 21 international goals in 69 appearances and will help cover Doncaster's current shortage of strikers.

James Hayter was the only recognised centre-forward in the squad for Saturday's 1-1 draw with Coventry.

Billy Sharp missed the game due to a family problem, Chris Brown is only just returning from a knee injury and Jon Parkin has returned to Cardiff following his loan at the Keepmoat Stadium.

Diouf is the latest high-profile player to join Rovers.

Former England goalkeeper Chris Kirkland signed on-loan from Wigan earlier in October - but only lasted a week after getting injured.

They also signed ex-Tottenham and Blackburn defender Pascal Chimbonda in September.

AnalysisContinue reading the main story
Piers Edwards,
BBC African football correspondent
You can look at the move in two ways. Firstly, how the mighty have fallen after a man listed as one of Pele's best 125 footballers ever drops into English football's second tier at the age of 30. The other is respect for the fact that Diouf so loves playing that he's prepared to move to struggling Doncaster to continue taking to the field. Ageing he may be - but his class should still tell
Diouf, who has courted controversy throughout his career in England, joined Liverpool from Lens for £10m in 2002.

He moved to Bolton in 2005, making 88 appearances at the Reebok Stadium, before switching to Sunderland's Stadium of Light a year later.

Diouf then joined Blackburn under Sam Allardyce's management in 2009 before finishing last season on loan at Rangers.

He picked up a league title winner's medal while in Scotland but upset a lot of Celtic fans along the way, most notably when he was sent off after the final whistle in Rangers' Scottish Cup defeat at Parkhead in March.

Diouf had been on trial with Allardyce's West Ham earlier this month but the Hammers boss decided not to offer the Senegalese a short-term deal because of his lack of fitness and opposition amongst the club's fans to a move.