Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:28 am 

something in the air, something in the water, something in the genepool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 am 

will they be accused of "ruining football"? i wonder, or are they simply "getting the level of investment that the club deserves"...

Cash-rich Sharjah ruling family revealed to be behind Liverpool bid• UAE's Al-Qasimi family part of consortium led by Yahya Kirdi
• 'Plans are in place to close deal shortly,' claims Anfield source
(11)Tweet this (15)David Conn The Guardian, Wednesday 11 August 2010 Article history
Syrian-born businessman Yahya Kirdi is leading a consortium to buy Liverpool. Photograph: Canadian Press / Rex Features
One of the proposed bids to buy Liverpool Football Club is backed by members of the ruling family in Sharjah, the third largest of the United Arab Emirates, according to sources close to the negotiations.

A statement issued last week on behalf of the bid led by the Syrian businessman Yahya Kirdi said he represents "a select group of investors from the Middle East and Canada", who were in "advanced negotiations" to buy Liverpool from the current co-owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Those investors were not and have still not been named, nor presented officially to Martin Broughton, the Liverpool chairman conducting the sale of the club. However, it has now been claimed that the investors referred to include members of the al-Qasimi family, which has ruled Sharjah for centuries. While not the richest family among the UAE ruling elite, the al-Qasimis do have access to great wealth, in a kingdom rich in crude oil and natural gas.

Kirdi is said to have authority to represent members of the family in various business dealings, an arrangement not unusual in the Gulf, and he has been negotiating directly with Hicks and Gillett, for the investors to buy Liverpool, since October.

There has been no confirmation from Sharjah that any members of the ruling family are involved in the bid, nor has any formal proof that their money is behind Kirdi been presented to Broughton. Dan Diamond, the president of GameDay, a Canadian sports consultancy which is working with Kirdi to broker a deal, would also not comment on whether the proposed investors are in fact from Sharjah.

A source close to the deal did, however, say that the buyers have now agreed in principle the terms of a deal with Hicks and Gillett, which would see the investors take charge of the club, pay off Liverpool's £237m debts to Royal Bank of Scotland and Wachovia, and finance the building of the club's planned new stadium with a 15‑year financing arrangement.

"Plans are in place to close the deal shortly," the source said. "A proof of funds will accompany the closing of the deal in a form requested by Martin Broughton, the club's board and the owners. Everyone is focused on getting this done so that the next era in the history of Liverpool can begin."

Diamond would not comment on the speculation that Kirdi, on behalf of the investors, has agreed to pay Hicks and Gillett around $600m (£380m) for their shares in the club. However, it seems clear that this deal will deliver more value to the owners, , rather than as little as possible, as suggested last week on behalf of the proposed bid led by the Chinese businessman Kenneth Huang. Gillett and Hicks are believed to strongly favour the Kirdi-led proposal but, to date, neither proposed bid has presented formal terms, together with the identity of their investors and source of the money, to the Liverpool board, which meets tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:28 am 

I wonder how the FA's Directors and Owners Test will apply in this case. A face to face meeting 10 days before with prospective owners, yet they still have not been named?

I can see this hitting a snag shortly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:33 am 

The FA would let Fred and Rose West own a team.

Liverpool won't have a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:59 am 

Dunno - the new regs look like they'll be a bit tougher, and the Freedom of Information request that I'm going to put in should provide me with further info....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:46 am 

I thought the new regs concentrate on whether the prospective owner can finance a football club, they are backing away from the ethical part of it I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:15 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
I thought the new regs concentrate on whether the prospective owner can finance a football club, they are backing away from the ethical part of it I think.

New owners in less than a month by the sound of it, God knows who they will end up with in an enforced sale, maybe RBS themselves for a while.
One thing for sure is that Gillett and Hicks are truely fooked, no saleable assets left, just huge negative equity mortgages and bad loans.

Quote:
RBS moves to force George Gillett and Tom Hicks to sell Liverpool
Tom Hicks and George Gillett's ill-starred reign as owners of Liverpool looks like having less than a month to run after the club's loans with Royal Bank of Scotland were placed into its toxic-assets division.

The deadline for the refinancing of the owners' personal loans from RBS is 6 October, and that now looks set to be the date that Hicks and Gillett's association with England's most successful club will end. The bank's decision to switch the debts to its Global Restructuring Group is the strongest possible signal that these loans will not be extended.

The co-owners' previous attempt to refinance the debts in June, when they are believed to have offered to secure the loans against their US assets, was overruled by the club's board, led by the chairman, Martin Broughton. Now, with the loans having been shifted into RBS's so-called "bad bank", where all toxic assets have been housed since last year, it is clear the club's lender has also adopted a more steely stance towards the Americans.

One source with a knowledge of Liverpool's dealings with RBS said: "If it has been taken out of the hands of the corporate banking department they'll have a much more ruthless approach on 6 October." An informed view from another source close to the situation is that the bank would hope to sell the club, possibly at a knockdown price, in the coming weeks or as soon possible after 6 October.

According to the club's accounts to July 2009 Liverpool's owners owe £237.4m to RBS. Through a variety of companies in the UK and overseas, Hicks and Gillett are also personally exposed to tens of millions of pounds in other commitments to the club and its lender. These have been in the form of a mixture of cash, which the pair have injected through equity, and guarantees to the RBS loans. Last year's accounts stated this combination amounted to £145.3m, although it is believed to have risen dramatically after the last refinancing agreed five months ago.

RBS would hope to achieve an orderly sale without having to take control of Liverpool. However, depending on the terms of the April refinancing agreement – which have never been made public – that may prove difficult if the co-owners, who value the club at £800m, refuse to go quietly.

One tool at RBS's disposal is to force the insolvency of Liverpool's UK parent and associated companies. It is clear from mortgage documents lodged with Companies House that in the event of default RBS has the power to place Kop Football and Kop Football (Holdings), as well as Gillett's loan-security vehicle, Football UK Ltd, into administration. However that would be unpalatable for the bank, Liverpool's board and the Premier League since it would require the imposition of a nine-point penalty on the club.

By exercising those clauses the bank would also effectively take control of Liverpool. Although RBS's restructuring group describes itself as being responsible for "the management of any problem lending portfolios", the bank has no long-term plans to hold the club as its subsidiary. Instead it is expected RBS would prefer to fulfil another of its stated aims – the "maximising [of] debt recoveries" – by selling the club in short order.

That means there are also strong signs RBS will now be prepared to accept a knockdown price in order to cut its ties. During negotiations with prospective buyers Broughton, and the investment bank advising him, Barclays Capital, have maintained that Liverpool's debts with RBS must be paid in full as a minimum sale price.

Provided buyers still retain an interest in taking over Liverpool beyond 6 October, it will mean a more orderly sale process. There would be only one party for purchasers to negotiate with and the club would be debt free.

The departure of Hicks and Gillett is an outcome that would delight Liverpool fans. The Kop Faithful group wrote in an open letter to the RBS group's chief executive, Stephen Hester, this week: "Hicks and Gillett were proved to be no more than a pair of liars. The promised 'no Glazer style buy out' was all of a sudden [a leveraged buy out] – a club £350m in debt to effectively buy itself, when it had been sold for less than £180m in what seemed no time before."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:28 am 

Rafael Benítez tells Roy Hodgson to stop whining over Liverpool legacy• 'Each press conference is worse than the last'
• Spaniard irked by claim he had ostracised Kenny Dalglish
Tweet this David Hytner guardian.co.uk, Monday 1 November 2010 21.43 GMT
Inter's Rafael Benítez, has told the Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson, to stop criticising the Spaniard's record at Anfield. Link to this video Rafael Benítez has launched a withering attack on Roy Hodgson, telling him to stop complaining about what he inherited from him at Liverpool and suggesting Hodgson does not fully understand the intricacies of life at Anfield.

Hodgson, who has suffered a difficult start to his tenure and the job of succeeding the popular Benítez, has aimed a series of recent barbs in the Spaniard's direction bemoaning the size of the rebuilding job that faced him, claiming the squad lacks quality in depth and features other "people's left-overs". He also tried to claim that he has got Kenny Dalglish truly back on board at the club, whereas the legendary former player and manager was marginalised under Benítez. This last claim has particularly irked his predecessor.

Benítez, whose Internazionale side face Tottenham Hotspur tomorrow night, hit back that some men, in other words Hodgson, "cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar", whereas most people could see the black-clad figure against the white backdrop.

"I feel that Mr Hodgson, he doesn't understand," Benítez said. "Every single press conference is worse than the last one. He's talking about things he doesn't know. He doesn't understand, maybe he has been in the job for not so long.

"Instead of talking about the flips and the flops, he has to concentrate on his players and do his best. He has a good [big] job to do. He signed nine players [in the summer]. I left that squad and with £10m net spending, I left that squad with £300m value. Thirteen internationals.

"So instead of talking about flips and flops, he has to concentrate on the job, try to do his best and not talk about the level of his players. Let the new players come in and concentrate, try to do their best, because it will be the best for the club and the best for the fans.

"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this."

It was Benítez who brought back Dalglish to Liverpool, in a role that incorporated ambassadorial duties and youth academy work. "I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club," Benítez said. "Christian Purslow [then] gave to him another role. So he [Hodgson] doesn't know but I will explain to him."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:14 pm 

Rumours on twitter that Roy Hodgson has left the Dip-eh-de-do-dahs. No idea if they are true.

Nah, just a rumour by the sound of things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:48 pm 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
Rumours on twitter that Roy Hodgson has left the Dip-eh-de-do-dahs. No idea if they are true.

Nah, just a rumour by the sound of things.

Perhaps Tevez is going to be manager ---serves him right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:08 am 

harsh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm 

Pepe Reina hints he could follow Fernando Torres out of Liverpool• Spanish goalkeeper wants to be 'challenging for titles'
• Torres says Chelsea 'opened door' out of Anfield 'darkness'

Tweet this Sid Lowe in Madrid guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 February 2011 10.46 GMT Article history
Pepe Reina has suggested he might consider a move to Manchester United or Arsenal. Photograph: Darren Staples/Reuters
Pepe Reina has hinted that he might follow Fernando Torres's lead and seek a future at one of Liverpool's Premier League rivals. The Liverpool goalkeeper insisted that he does not foresee a return to Spain but refused to rule out a move and admitted that he wants to compete for football's top honours. He also underlined the importance of playing in the Champions League. Reina's justification of Torres's departure sounded very much like an example applicable to himself.

Meanwhile Torres, who admitted that he is yet to meet Roman Abramovich, has expressed his hope that in the future the Liverpool fans' anger will subside, insisting that he has "nothing but gratitude" and "good memories" for the three and a half years he spent on Merseyside. He explained his departure by saying that he felt darkness had descended on Anfield and that Chelsea "opened the door" on a new dawn, leaving him with no other choice. Liverpool, he said, had become the "complete opposite" of the club he first joined in 2007.

"I think it's hard for me to come back to Spain to play. I think my place is in England – and right now that is with Liverpool," Reina said on the Spanish radio station, Onda Cero. "It's hard to see me returning to Spain. Barcelona and Madrid are the two teams you would aspire to in Spain and that's impossible. [At United,] Edwin van der Sar is hanging up his gloves and people say that Arsenal are looking. I can't do or say anything; I renewed my contract with Liverpool last year. But what a player wants, logically, is to challenge for titles."

Although he was reminded that he has won an FA Cup with Liverpool, the Spaniard's response was pessimistic. "Yes," he said, "but that was a long time ago. We used to fight to be among the top teams and to be in the Champions League but sadly in the last two years that has not been the case. Obviously, I want to play in the Champions League and I want to aspire to win titles.

"I would like to think that the departure of players does not mean that we are slipping. I think Liverpool will always be a big club but we have to be realistic and the reality is that right now we are not at the level of Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea or Arsenal. That's the truth."

That realisation means that there was no criticism from Reina for Torres's decision to leave Liverpool; instead, there was understanding. "Torres believed that Chelsea offered him a better chance to be successful," Reina said. "They offered him a better chance to fight for the Champions League – or at least to make sure that he plays in it. They have a better chance of building a title-winning team. And right now, unfortunately, we can't offer that at Liverpool. I would ask the fans to remember the three wonderful years of football he gave us and the number of goals he scored. Also, he cost £22m or £23m and he has left us for £50m."

Meanwhile Torres explained that he felt like he had little choice but to depart after a difficult last 12 months both for club and country. He insisted that Chelsea could satisfy his ambition in a way that Liverpool could not after two years of decline.

"This was an important season for me – to forget about injuries and a World Cup that was not great on a personal level," Torres said. "I had real hope. The club seemed to be on the verge of a sale and I was optimistic but then came a moment when everything went dark. At that moment you see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You can see that there are six hard months ahead of you of rowing against the current. And then suddenly at that moment an incredible door opens up before you.

"These have not been my best six months at Liverpool and for a club like Chelsea to come in with a real bid and a big one, it gives you the chance to fight for what you have always wanted to fight for. At that moment, there are not two options, there is only one," Torres added. "Two years ago we were very close to winning the league; we were practically touching heaven. We were second in the league, quarter-final, semi-final in the Champions League and then two years later is the complete opposite.

"As for the Liverpool fans, I can't ask for anything from them except that they understand me. I am a football fan too. What fans should do is value what you have done for them. Right now, I know it's hard and with time they will feel differently. I hope so anyway. All I have got is good memories and good things to say about Liverpool. I am very grateful to Liverpool, to the city, to the fans."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 pm 

Pepe Reina hints he could follow Fernando Torres out of Liverpool• Spanish goalkeeper wants to be 'challenging for titles'
• Torres says Chelsea 'opened door' out of Anfield 'darkness'

Tweet this Sid Lowe in Madrid guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 February 2011 10.46 GMT Article history
Pepe Reina has suggested he might consider a move to Manchester United or Arsenal. Photograph: Darren Staples/Reuters
Pepe Reina has hinted that he might follow Fernando Torres's lead and seek a future at one of Liverpool's Premier League rivals. The Liverpool goalkeeper insisted that he does not foresee a return to Spain but refused to rule out a move and admitted that he wants to compete for football's top honours. He also underlined the importance of playing in the Champions League. Reina's justification of Torres's departure sounded very much like an example applicable to himself.

Meanwhile Torres, who admitted that he is yet to meet Roman Abramovich, has expressed his hope that in the future the Liverpool fans' anger will subside, insisting that he has "nothing but gratitude" and "good memories" for the three and a half years he spent on Merseyside. He explained his departure by saying that he felt darkness had descended on Anfield and that Chelsea "opened the door" on a new dawn, leaving him with no other choice. Liverpool, he said, had become the "complete opposite" of the club he first joined in 2007.

"I think it's hard for me to come back to Spain to play. I think my place is in England – and right now that is with Liverpool," Reina said on the Spanish radio station, Onda Cero. "It's hard to see me returning to Spain. Barcelona and Madrid are the two teams you would aspire to in Spain and that's impossible. [At United,] Edwin van der Sar is hanging up his gloves and people say that Arsenal are looking. I can't do or say anything; I renewed my contract with Liverpool last year. But what a player wants, logically, is to challenge for titles."

Although he was reminded that he has won an FA Cup with Liverpool, the Spaniard's response was pessimistic. "Yes," he said, "but that was a long time ago. We used to fight to be among the top teams and to be in the Champions League but sadly in the last two years that has not been the case. Obviously, I want to play in the Champions League and I want to aspire to win titles.

"I would like to think that the departure of players does not mean that we are slipping. I think Liverpool will always be a big club but we have to be realistic and the reality is that right now we are not at the level of Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea or Arsenal. That's the truth."

That realisation means that there was no criticism from Reina for Torres's decision to leave Liverpool; instead, there was understanding. "Torres believed that Chelsea offered him a better chance to be successful," Reina said. "They offered him a better chance to fight for the Champions League – or at least to make sure that he plays in it. They have a better chance of building a title-winning team. And right now, unfortunately, we can't offer that at Liverpool. I would ask the fans to remember the three wonderful years of football he gave us and the number of goals he scored. Also, he cost £22m or £23m and he has left us for £50m."

Meanwhile Torres explained that he felt like he had little choice but to depart after a difficult last 12 months both for club and country. He insisted that Chelsea could satisfy his ambition in a way that Liverpool could not after two years of decline.

"This was an important season for me – to forget about injuries and a World Cup that was not great on a personal level," Torres said. "I had real hope. The club seemed to be on the verge of a sale and I was optimistic but then came a moment when everything went dark. At that moment you see that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You can see that there are six hard months ahead of you of rowing against the current. And then suddenly at that moment an incredible door opens up before you.

"These have not been my best six months at Liverpool and for a club like Chelsea to come in with a real bid and a big one, it gives you the chance to fight for what you have always wanted to fight for. At that moment, there are not two options, there is only one," Torres added. "Two years ago we were very close to winning the league; we were practically touching heaven. We were second in the league, quarter-final, semi-final in the Champions League and then two years later is the complete opposite.

"As for the Liverpool fans, I can't ask for anything from them except that they understand me. I am a football fan too. What fans should do is value what you have done for them. Right now, I know it's hard and with time they will feel differently. I hope so anyway. All I have got is good memories and good things to say about Liverpool. I am very grateful to Liverpool, to the city, to the fans."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 pm 

unfortunately, it looks like happy go lucky kenny may be able to save an otherwise sinking ship. i expect them to spend heavily in the summer and be stronger than the last couple of years next season

bastards

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:12 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
unfortunately, it looks like happy go lucky kenny may be able to save an otherwise sinking ship. i expect them to spend heavily in the summer and be stronger than the last couple of years next season

bastards

They can take chelsea's place in the top 4, I heard at the weekend that they spend £39m a year more than us on wages. They also posted about £70m in losses then spent £75m. How the hell they expect to meet the fair play regs is beyond me.
As a side note, the rags pay only £1m less in wages than us, I would consider us to have a bargain compared to their squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:23 pm 

But Liverpool have "tradition" don't they.

Big nose Thompson said so on Sky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
They can take chelsea's place in the top 4, I heard at the weekend that they spend £39m a year more than us on wages. They also posted about £70m in losses then spent £75m. How the hell they expect to meet the fair play regs is beyond me.
As a side note, the rags pay only £1m less in wages than us, I would consider us to have a bargain compared to their squad.

really?

chavs are fucked then

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm 

more from the land of murdering skip dipping bastards.

Fernando Torres failed to show Liverpool respect, says Daniel Agger• 'It is unacceptable to play for one of Liverpool's arch rivals'
• 'I will never go to another club in England'

Tweet this Dominic Fifield and Andy Hunter guardian.co.uk, Thursday 10 February 2011 23.00 GMT Article history
Fernando Torres has been accused of a lack of respect by joining one of Liverpool's arch rivals, Chelsea. Photograph: Richard Sellers/Sportsphoto/Sportsphoto Ltd/Allstar
Daniel Agger has denounced Fernando Torres for showing a lack of "respect" for Liverpool by joining Chelsea but admitted the Merseysiders' dismal start to the season had contributed heavily to the Spaniard's inconsistent form.

The Denmark centre-half has been a key member of the Liverpool side revitalised under Kenny Dalglish, rising to sixth in the table and six points from the fourth Champions League qualification place. The arrival of the £23m Luis Suárez from Ajax and Newcastle's Andy Carroll for a club record £35m could add even more impetus, potentially offsetting the £50m departure of Torres to Stamford Bridge.

The Spaniard's move, triggered by a desire to leave Anfield, frustrated Agger. "It is unacceptable to play for one of Liverpool's arch rivals," he said. "For a Dane, it's about having respect for the club you play at. I am proud to be able to pull on my Liverpool jersey and will never go to another club in England. I would never go to Manchester United or Everton, for example. It's about a form of respect for the club.

"I suppose Liverpool got a lot of money for him and, if the player doesn't want to be there any more, there is no reason to keep him. I should say I think everyone at Melwood liked him and still do, because he is a good guy and we wish him all the best in a blue shirt – except against us."

Asked why Torres's form had been so stodgy in the first half of the season, Agger said: "That is a big question, isn't it? How to explain that ... Look at the team – we played awful, we were shit. And he is a part of the team. When every element of the team plays well, he plays a lot better. It is the same for everybody – for me, for Stevie [Gerrard], everyone. When the team are performing, look at every single player and he is playing better. But when we are losing, everybody is on top of us. Everybody is playing poorly."

Liverpool have rediscovered their poise in recent weeks, with Dalglish overseeing a run of four successive victories, the last of which came at Torres's expense last Sunday. "A big part of it is down to Kenny and [the coach] Steve Clarke," said Agger. "They have made a major difference. But it is also something to do with confidence, because we are the same footballers. Confidence can win games and, somehow, Kenny and Steve have put the confidence back into the players. It is looking good, but there is still a long way to go."

Liverpool's assistant manager, Sammy Lee, attended Denmark's defeat to England in Copenhagen to watch Agger's international team-mate Christian Eriksen. The impressive 18-year-old midfielder is attracting interest from several leading clubs, including Arsenal and Milan, but believes his apprenticeship is best served by staying with Ajax and that he may not suit a move to the Premier League.

"I think I'm going to play in Ajax until my contract expires," said Eriksen. "There are a lot of young players who are busy looking at other clubs but that's not the way I think. There are still lots for me to learn and improve, and I can do that in Ajax, which is one of the best clubs in the world to develop talents.

"Every time Ajax are playing there are clubs watching me. So, yes, Liverpool have probably seen me, but I am not spending time wondering about it. No matter what, the Premier League is not the most obvious place for me to go. I'm not sure that I've got the physical ability to play there. Serie A or La Liga would suit me better, but it [a transfer] is not going to happen now."

Dalglish has rejected a claim that Carroll could miss the rest of this season with the thigh injury that has delayed his Liverpool debut. The forward has not played since 28 December but Liverpool's caretaker manager insisted: "We said right at the beginning that it will be a few weeks. There is nothing sinister in it.

"He has been thoroughly checked over, he is progressing well and I think whoever made that assertion has got a good chance of being wrong."

The Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey has been ruled out for 12 weeks with a knee tendon problem.

Post subject: Re: Liverpool.
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:54 pm 

colleague just said that strong rumours doing the rounds on klanfield forums that Daglish has gone......

Post subject: Re: Liverpool.
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

Kenny Dalglish is in discussions with Liverpool's owners over future
• Manager travelled to Boston to meet John W Henry
• Dalglish wants any uncertainties resolved soon
Share 98

Email
Andy Hunter
guardian.co.uk, Monday 14 May 2012 22.31 BST

Kenny Dalglish, the Liverpool manager, has delivered his end-of-season review to John W Henry in Boston. Photograph: Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images
Kenny Dalglish has delivered his end-of-season review to Liverpool's owners during direct talks with John W Henry and Tom Werner in the United States that will determine his fate as manager.

Dalglish had been scheduled to give his assessment on a contrasting season of Premier League disappointment and cup success following the final game of the season at Swansea City. However, mindful of the uncertainty that has surrounded his position since losing to Chelsea in the FA Cup final on 5 May, he travelled to Boston after defeat at the Liberty Stadium seeking clarification that Fenway Sports Group want him in charge for next season.

The Liverpool manager is due to go on holiday on Wednesday and wants the uncertainty resolved as he attempts to proceed with rebuilding plans in the continued absence of a director of football at Anfield. Dalglish was not summoned to Boston by FSG, who are naturally concerned at Liverpool's failure to have any impact on Champions League qualification despite their £120m investment on new players. The club won the Carling Cup this season and reached the final of the FA Cup but, on the flip side, recorded their lowest points tally in the Premier League era and lowest league placing since 1993-94.

Werner claimed that Dalglish's position was safe in the wake of Damien Comolli's departure in April, the former director of football paying the price for Liverpool's largesse in the transfer market. The Liverpool chairman, the principal owner Henry and the managing director, Ian Ayre, would not confirm that this remained their position after the FA Cup final, however, and Dalglish admitted on Friday that he had received no further assurances from the club's owners. He is expected to receive a definite answer this week.

FSG have also sacked Liverpool's head of sports science, Dr Peter Brukner, and head of communications, Ian Cotton, as they conduct a root-and-branch review that has extended to changing the publisher of the club's official magazines. They requested an end-of-season assessment from Dalglish and his coaching staff of Steve Clarke and Kevin Keen several months ago and the Liverpool manager reiterated his belief that the squad does not require a major overhaul to mount a top-four challenge next season.

Xavi Valero, Liverpool's former goalkeeping coach under Rafael Benítez, is considering an offer to rejoin the club and Dirk Kuyt has revealed he rejected a return to Feyenoord as, "if I returned to Holland, I would have to take an 80% cut in my Liverpool wages". Kuyt, who has fallen out of favour under Dalglish, added: "If you are 35 or 36, you know your career is almost done. But I'm only 31 and in the prime of my life. I still have two or three years left at the top. I still have the ambition and fitness to play at the highest level, a club in a major competition or a big club with European ambitions."

Kuyt's future at Liverpool remains in doubt, as does that of Maxi Rodríguez, but the Liverpool manager claims only a few additions are required and believes the club can resist approaches from rivals in the Champions League.

Dalglish said: "The only one we are losing is Fabio [Aurelio] because his contract is up. We are not interested in losing anyone else. I don't know what the Champions League clubs are going to do but we are looking to bring people in. I would say that's the natural course of events – there are very few seasons that any club hasn't moved someone in. Our intention is to add to what we have got.

"We don't want anyone to go. We are going to have a lot of games next year – the Europa League, Carling Cup and Premier League all before Christmas. The better we do in the first two competitions, by the turn of the year we could have four competitions."