Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Taggart's minions start
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:59 am 

early this year. Why do they keep talking about us if we are not a threat?

Giggs continues the party line that all is well at the swamp and city are 'just another team'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/19/ryan-giggs-manchester-united-city

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:17 am 

I read this in The Irish Times this morning.

Truth is, we aren't challanging for the title and until then we can't be seen as a threat by Chelsea, Arsenal or the rags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:22 am 

slart wrote:
I read this in The Irish Times this morning.

Truth is, we aren't challanging for the title and until then we can't be seen as a threat by Chelsea, Arsenal or the rags.

Rather stating the obvious there aren't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 am 

then why the need to comment?

just let ickle city get on with our piddly little business

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:32 am 

Timpblue wrote:
then why the need to comment?

just let ickle city get on with our piddly little business

It was the headling in The Irish Times. I suppose he was just answering a question. The main part of the article was the bullshit than the youngsters at the swamp will be able to replicate the achievements of Giggs and co from the 90s.

Given the spending power we have and the fact that the rags haven't got a pot to piss in must be a worry to someone at the swamp. It is clear that we will eclipse them in near future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:33 am 

There are some Wes Brown quotes kicking about today about us being their biggest game of the season now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:37 am 

EalingBlue wrote:
There are some Wes Brown quotes kicking about today about us being their biggest game of the season now.

That's cuz he's from Manchester tho innit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:45 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Rather stating the obvious there aren't you?

Timps asked why don't the rags talk of us as a threat. So, yes, I am stating the obvious.

I don't really care what they think. The fact is we have gone from being a yo-yo team, to settling in the prem at mid-table, to finishing in 5th and having decent cup runs.

We have some the best players in the world and are an improving team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:56 am 

where as they have a transfer budget that is dwarfed by the likes of tottenham, sunderland and brum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 am 

i quite like that the derby isn't solely about local pride now though, and actually means something in the league. hence it being their most important game, if wes "are you sure i'm a defender" brown is to be believed then it probably has that relevance for them now as well.

anyway, gigg's dribbling of the wordy variety

Ryan Giggs says Manchester United are unperturbed by rivals' spending• Welshman believes pressure will be on City
• Giggs expects young players to make an impact
(7)Tweet this (26)Andy Hunter in Philadelphia The Guardian, Monday 19 July 2010 Article history
Ryan Giggs anticipates a strong challenge from Manchester City next season but believes United still have the players to be the city's dominant force. Photograph: Mike Egerton/Empics Sport
Ryan Giggs says Manchester United are unperturbed by the latest influx of expensive signings at Manchester City and that the pressure is on their rivals to at least qualify for the Champions League next season.

While City are on course to break the £100m spending barrier on transfers for the second successive summer under the Abu Dhabi United Group – their tally will reach £77m should Aleksandar Kolarov agree to a £17m move from Lazio – United's outlay has been modest by comparison.

Sir Alex Ferguson has signed Chris Smalling and Javier Hernández for £12m from Fulham and £7m from Guadalajara respectively, and is banking on the club's latest batch of young players to improve a team who finished two points behind Chelsea last season.

Giggs believes the disappointment of relinquishing the title and the emergence of young talent will inspire a stronger challenge next term. Although he anticipates increased competition for the four Champions League places, the 36-year-old thinks City have still to discover the consistency required to advance under Roberto Mancini.

"Until we play them I don't take any notice of what City are doing, like any other team really," said Giggs, who has extended his Old Trafford contract until the end of this coming season. "If they get a run together, if they get the consistency, they'll be a force, and no one knows if they're going to do that.

"It's a similar scenario to last season really. They've got so many talented players that, if they gel as a team, they'll be a force. If they don't then obviously it could be a frustrating season for them and they'll probably get a little bit of stick. But, if they gel as a team, like they proved in games last year, they can beat anyone."

Giggs also agreed that City's owners view a top‑four finish as a minimum return for their investment. "I think with the players they've acquired over the last two years, that is probably the case."

As for United's prospects next season, the Welshman insists there is added motivation inside Old Trafford after Chelsea prevented them winning a fourth successive title. "There is that added hunger when you haven't won the league the previous season. It's difficult when you're defending the title because you're champions and everyone wants to beat you. But there's also that determination when you don't win it, to get it back, which is what we want to do."

Giggs has echoed Ferguson's belief that this can be the campaign when United's new generation imposes itself, adding that there are similarities with the famed group that emerged at Old Trafford in the mid-90s. "Last season we saw a lot of the young players featuring in the first team. Nani had a good season, Antonio [Valencia] had a fantastic debut campaign, Kiko Macheda had a frustrating season with injuries, Chris [Smalling] has come into the squad; so there are a lot of young players who experienced some first-team action last season.

"Hopefully their determination and hunger will see them kick on this season and do even better, because we're going to need them. The injuries we had in defence last season were unbelievable. We've strengthened with the arrival of Chris, and hopefully Rafael and Fabio [da Silva] can get through the season without the niggly injuries they've had. Hopefully these young players will get better and better, and I'm sure they will. I see their determination on the training ground. They want to do well, they want to learn, they want to play for United, get in the team and stay in the team. That's what we were like when we were younger and I see the same desire in these young players."

United have played only one friendly so far, a 3-1 victory over Celtic in Toronto on Friday, but Dimitar Berbatov's impressive display has also encouraged Giggs to believe the Bulgarian could finally begin to justify his £30.75m price-tag and reputation next season.

"I thought he was brilliant against Celtic, running the channels, always available. He was by far and away the best player on the pitch," Giggs said. "That's what he needed, to get off to a good start, and hopefully he can continue. Sometimes players bed in quicker than others, and he has started the season well."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:00 am 

"Until we play them I don't take any notice of what City are doing, like any other team really," said Giggs, who has extended his Old Trafford contract until the end of this coming season. "If they get a run together, if they get the consistency, they'll be a force, and no one knows if they're going to do that.

"It's a similar scenario to last season really. They've got so many talented players that, if they gel as a team, they'll be a force. If they don't then obviously it could be a frustrating season for them and they'll probably get a little bit of stick. But, if they gel as a team, like they proved in games last year, they can beat anyone."

It sounds quite respectful to me, to be honest. Red or not, you've got to admire Giggs. Fantastic footballer, keeps his head down, doesn't make headlines for the wrong reasons, just gets on with his job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 am 

I don't see any problem with this interview. It is hardly the droolings of a twat like Gary Neville.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:04 am 

him and scholes. two rags that can actually be respected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:12 am 

Buffbill wrote:
It sounds quite respectful to me, to be honest. Red or not, you've got to admire Giggs. Fantastic footballer, keeps his head down, doesn't make headlines for the wrong reasons, just gets on with his job.

Like beating up his Mrs? :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:16 am 

?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:23 am 

slart wrote:
It was the headling in The Irish Times. I suppose he was just answering a question. The main part of the article was the bullshit than the youngsters at the swamp will be able to replicate the achievements of Giggs and co from the 90s.

Given the spending power we have and the fact that the rags haven't got a pot to piss in must be a worry to someone at the swamp. It is clear that we will eclipse them in near future.

What i like is the fact that Taggart keeps trundling out the same crap, that why waste money on players when you can find a glassman like Michael Owen for free?

He never used to say that when he was buying Ferdinand for £30m, Rooney for £27m, Veron for £28m, Nistelrooy for £20m. Now he says he's done great business signing a Mexican gayboy known as 'Little Pea' and a defender out of Fulham's reserves. Good business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:26 am 

Apparently he is readying a 15m bid for Lahm, we should gazump him for the crack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:28 am 

EalingBlue wrote:
Apparently he is readying a 15m bid for Lahm, we should gazump him for the crack.

Can't see em getting him. It'll be a con to make people think he's got money to spend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:30 am 

EalingBlue wrote:

Like we did with Berbatov? I think they had to stump up an extra £10-12 million that for the donkey once the good sheik got involved in a last minute bidding war.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:31 am 

Half Bassman Half Biscuit wrote:
Can't see em getting him. It'll be a con to make people think he's got money to spend.

But they still have the ronaldo money right?