Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am 

Steven Taylor suffers 'broken jaw' after bust-up with Andy Carroll• Taylor likely to be out for at least 'two weeks'
• Altercation allegedly came after exchange of text messages
(25)Tweet this (6)Everton Gayle
The Guardian, Tuesday 23 March 2010 01.31 GMT
Article history

Newcatle are carrying out an internal inquiry after Steven Taylor was injured in a training ground incident. Photograph: Michael Regan/Action Images

Steven Taylor has been widely reported to have suffered a suspected broken jaw in a training-ground incident involving his Newcastle team-mate Andy Carroll.

The former England Under-21 captain, now 24 and who was returning from a long lay-off with a knee injury, will be out for at least "two weeks" but more likely the rest of the season.

Newcastle refused to comment on reports that the injury was a result of a disagreement with Carroll. Rumours circulating on Tyneside have suggested that the pair, both of whom were boyhood Newcastle supporters, had been involved in an altercation that came about after an exchange of text messages. The club are reportedly carrying out an internal investigation.

The alleged incident will be an unwelcome distraction to the Newcastle manager Chris Hughton as he prepares for the match at Doncaster Rovers tonight.

Carroll, who scored his 15th goal of the season with the equaliser at Bristol City on Saturday, had been included in the squad although it has been suggested he has a damaged hand and may not play.

Taylor, recently named Newcastle's Sport Personality of the Year, injured the knee during the 2-2 draw at West Bromwich in January and has been missed.

However Joey Barton could make a first appearance for the first team since September, although he is expected to begin the match on the bench. The controversial midfielder has been sidelined with a serious foot fracture and has since seen his attacking central-midfield role filled by Danny Guthrie.

Barton, though, is likely to play some part after being included in Hughton's squad for the trip to south Yorkshire today. "Joey's been training very well," said the manager, whose players aim to extend their lead at the top of the Championship but could be in for a tough night against Sean O'Driscoll's play-off hopefuls.

"Guthrie's recent form in central midfield has given us another option in the middle," added Hughton, well aware he will also be without the injured Alan Smith . "But we've always said we'd like Joey back fit and involved again.

"Whether that involvement sees Joey get parts of games or whole games between now and the end of the season, we don't know. But I'd rather have him available than not available."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 am 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
Is it just me or Is Jonas Gutierrez too good for newcastle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am 

AmBeRt0nTe wrote:

not whenever I've seen him

good in the championship - kack in the prem

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am 

AmBeRt0nTe wrote:

Timpblue wrote:
not whenever I've seen him

good in the championship - kack in the prem

he looked alright when i saw him, but never really did a great deal. timps is spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:53 pm 

I heard it was because Taylor had been playing at it with Carrol's girlfriend haha :p I hate Newcastle, I hate their fans, but we generally do okay there and it's a good night out and one I will be looking out for when the deluded bastards come up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:23 pm 

JoeCity wrote:
I heard it was because Taylor had been playing at it with Carrol's girlfriend haha :p I hate Newcastle, I hate their fans, but we generally do okay there and it's a good night out and one I will be looking out for when the deluded bastards come up.

You tramp. The night life of that whole Tyne/Wear/Tees disaster area is as if it were for the benefit of an as yet unscreened reality TV documentary called Terrifying Violent Sluts un Pricks on Wife Beater Going To Hell In A Handcart... On Fire.

You can't help but search for the hidden cameras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 am 

Irelandiniho wrote:
You tramp. The night life of that whole Tyne/Wear/Tees disaster area is as if it were for the benefit of an as yet unscreened reality TV documentary called Terrifying Violent Sluts un Pricks on Wife Beater Going To Hell In A Handcart... On Fire.

You can't help but search for the hidden cameras.

LOL. Each to their own I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:12 pm 

Chris Hughton gets sack - thats just ludicrous....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:28 pm 

ThunderinScitters wrote:

Yeah, but their chairman is ludicrous too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 pm 

ThunderinScitters wrote:

very weird sacking that is imho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:34 pm 

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Yeah, but their chairman is ludicrous too.

The guy's a fucking moron. Just when the Newcastle fans might be coming round to the idea of him being about he goes and does this. He's crying out for a Hick / Gillette situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:08 pm 

Daft twats. I know it'll be bullshit but I do love pointless rumours so...

Some City fan on Twitter has just said that he has a source who is 80% certain that their next manager is a current Prem manager and it'll be a big shock.

It reads like bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 pm 

Pardew, A. 5/4
O'Neill, M. 7/2
Curbishley A 6/1
Lambert, P. 12/1
Hughes, M. 12/1
Beardsley P 14/1
Di Matteo, R. 14/1
Shearer, A. 16/1
McClaren, S. 16/1
Jol, M. 16/1
Eriksson, S. 16/1
Stone, S. 20/1
Moyes, D. 20/1
Poyet, G. 20/1
Grayson, S. 20/1
Hoddle, G. 25/1
Bilic, S. 25/1
Jones, D. 25/1
Rodgers B 25/1
Keegan K 25/1
Hiddink, G. 28/1
Ince, P. 33/1
Allardyce, S. 33/1
Clarke, S. 33/1
Strachan, G. 40/1

needs addition of Martin Jol, tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm 

He'll probably bring the dream team of Joe Kinnear and Dennis Wise back, the stupid c*nt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
He'll probably bring the dream team of Joe Kinnear and Dennis Wise back, the stupid c*nt.

Was the team not Keegan and Wise? I seem to recall Kinnear doing a decent job but then falling ill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:58 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
Was the team not Keegan and Wise? I seem to recall Kinnear doing a decent job but then falling ill.

No he was pretty bad

Did a good job of roasting journos though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am 

Ashley needs taking out back and be kicked to death by a dozen geordies wearing pairs of his outrageously priced, chav trainers

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 am 

Pardew is no better than Hughton. What's the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:13 am 

Will mike Ashley have the balls to turn up to their next home game??? Just having a look on a Barcodes forum and if i were Ashley i'd stay right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:41 pm 

Newcastle look dim after turning the lights out on Chris HughtonNewcastle United's decision to dispense with Chris Hughton is quite possibly the most stupid in recent footballing memory

Tweet this Comments (321)

Chris Hughton celebrates after leading Newcastle to the Championship title last season. Photograph: Steve Drew/Empics Sport
Is this the stupidest managerial sacking in recent memory? Instant reaction to the news that nice, honourable, decent Chris Hughton has been sacked by Newcastle has tended to centre on the they-shot-Bambi angle. There is another side, though. He was also successful Chris Hughton. Champions of the Football League in May, Newcastle have been a sprightly presence in the Premier League. Six weeks ago they outplayed West Ham at Upton Park. Five weeks ago they beat Sunderland 5-1. Four weeks ago they won at Arsenal. Last week they drew with the champions. This week – is this really right? – they sacked their manager.

It is the most self-destructive of axings and Newcastle may pay dearly for underestimating their ex-manager's grasp on his players. Hughton's success lay in uniting a potentially volatile bunch: Andy Carroll, beset by legal process and tabloid sting, might have disappeared off the radar this season. Instead, through careful husbandry, he has flourished. Even Joey Barton has for the most part seemed agreeably focused. This has been a tactfully engineered balancing act. Whoever steps in next ... well, good luck with all of that.

Right up until about 2pm this afternoon Newcastle did not look like a club in any imminent danger of sliding down the table into serious relegation trouble. It is hard to be quite so confident now. There is no doubt Mike Ashley is some way short of a footballing oracle, but surely even Ashley would have grasped the truism that sacking your manager in finely-poised mid-season rarely has a positive effect.

There had been indications elsewhere that the mania for aspirational managerial sackings, the twitchy, grass-is-always-greener, sacking-for-sacking's-sake, might have abated. Hughton is the first Premier League sacking of the season, the longest wait for managerial blood since 1995-96. It seems an ignominious thing, not just because Hughton's Newcastle were an engaging team playing to their potential; not just because he is a nice man curating a difficult group of players with an engagingly light touch; but because it provides a reminder of the enduring block-headedness of a certain species of Premier League chairman.

Presumably Mike Ashley has an alternative lined up. There has already been some talk about Martin O'Neill, the usual Alans (Curbishley, Pardew, Shearer) plus – God help him – Frank Rijkaard. The club has indicated it requires more managerial "experience". And perhaps Ashley, rather than simply wanting to stay in the Premier League long enough to sell the club, really has bought into grandiose misconceptions of sleeping giants, massive football clubs, Geordie nations et al and believes 11th in the table, one spot above Liverpool, is underachievement.

O'Neill, already among the favourites, would be a sound appointment for pretty much any club in the Premier League. But it is still hard to see Newcastle finishing this season above where they are now; and even harder to avoid the feeling that a period of careful retrenchment has just been rather mindlessly truncheoned into tiny pieces. Certainly football looks a little bit stupider – not to mention unerringly self-destructive – as of this afternoon.