Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Deluded
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:14 pm 

Rafael Benítez one of world's 'top five managers', says George Gillett• Liverpool co-owner backs 'unlucky' manager
• Blames injuries for disruption to side
Buzz up!
Digg it
Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 20 January 2010 11.51 GMT
Article history

Liverpool co-owners George Gillett (left) and Tom Hicks at Anfield. Photograph: Christopher Furlong/Getty Images

Liverpool's co-owner George Gillett believes Rafael Benítez is one of the top five managers in the world and that this season's disappointing results are just a "blip".

The club have endured a torrid season so far and have fallen off the pace in the Premier League, compounded by early exits from the Champions League and FA Cup. Benítez has been unmoved in his belief that he will turn things around and now he has received the backing of Gillett. That is significant as Gillett has always been seen as less enthusiastic in his support for the Spaniard than fellow co-owner Tom Hicks, who has been behind Benítez from the moment the two Americans' relationship began to become strained.

"We believe if you were to put a list together of the top five coaches, managers in the world, he would definitely be on that list for us," said Gillett, who was united in his agreement with Hicks to give Benítez an improved five-year contract towards the end of last season.

"And we think he's been tossed a curve ball by circumstance, injuries and so forth. I think that's been a real challenge to the coach. He's had to really make some innovations and play some players out of position and so forth. I really believes it's a blip."

Injuries have certainly compounded Liverpool's problems with striker Fernando Torres, captain Steven Gerrard, right-back Glen Johnson and midfielder Yossi Benayoun all currently sidelined.

But they have also been unlucky in other areas, such as when a beach ball on the pitch at Sunderland back in October contributed to the only goal of the game.

"That was a real low blow," Gillett told Canadian radio station Prime Time Sports. "He has had a struggle getting the morale of the boys back up but we've got a great group of young men."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:23 pm 

These twats are running out of excuses.

On Saturday Rafa blamed the shite pitch at Stoke for not winning. Feeble and insulting.

I think we've got more players on the treatment table than they have right now. Arsenal and the rags are also missing key players. Rafa won't be sacked because they can't afford the pay off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:26 pm 

The longer they keep Rafa the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:28 pm 

slart wrote:
These twats are running out of excuses.

On Saturday Rafa blamed the shite pitch at Stoke for not winning. Feeble and insulting.

I think we've got more players on the treatment table than they have right now. Arsenal and the rags are also missing key players. Rafa won't be sacked because they can't afford the pay off.

two man team, no money, no depth, no hope.
and yeah, that's probably why he's still in a job.
blueduck wrote:
The longer they keep Rafa the better.

yup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 pm 

rafa is a wanker
he wears a wankers hat

and so on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:57 am 

he said in his pre match interview last night that the club had got
it's pride back

i know, i didn't understand it either

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am 

more comedy from those good humoured scouse bastards...

Albert Riera hits out at Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez

Riera's only appearances since January have come in the Europa League
Liverpool winger Albert Riera says he is considering leaving the club after being given the silent treatment by Reds manager Rafael Benitez.

Riera, who wants to get into Spain's World Cup squad, thinks Benitez has something "personal" against him and is "turning a deaf ear" to his players.

"He's never sorted out a situation with a player by talking with him," the 27-year-old player told Spanish radio.

Liverpool go into Thursday's Europa League tie trailing Lille 1-0.

The competition offers the Reds their only remaining chance of silverware in a disappointing season which included early exits from the Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup.

Bentiez has been under pressure as Liverpool have not picked up a trophy since winning the FA Cup in 2006.

The Reds are fifth in the Premier League and are battling with Manchester City, Tottenham and Aston Villa to finish fourth and qualify for next season's Champions League.

Riera's only two appearances since January have been in Europe, and his exclusion from the side for Premier League matches has prompted him to consider offers from two clubs in Russia.

"I would like to spend my whole career here (at Liverpool), but we players live to play," said Riera. "My aim is to go to the World Cup and for this I have to be playing."

During an interview for Radio Marca, he described Benitez as an aloof figure who has little relationship with his players.

"When the coach says nothing to you and you are well, with no physical problems and training well, you cannot help but think it must be something personal," he added.

606: DEBATE
Riera does go missing in games but it would be a shame to lose him as the lad has talent and offers something different

PAisLeYs_PaTTerNeD_DrEaMs
"If I'm doing something badly and you are my boss, and you value me, then you are going to come and tell me what I have to do to play again. This is what hurts me.

"You see that the team are not doing well and there are no changes. It's a little frustrating because you see that you can help."

Benitez signed Riera for £8m from Espanyol in August 2008 but the winger has struggled to make an impact at Anfield.

"I've been here two years and I know how he (Benitez) is. He's never sorted out a situation with a player by talking with him," stated Riera.

"He thinks he's in charge and everything else falls on deaf ears. His dialogue with the players is practically nil."

Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler, signed by Benitez for a second spell at the Anfield club in 2006, says it may be time for a change of manager.

Fowler, who recently returned from a season in the Australian A-League, told BBC Radio 5 live: "Rafa in his first year won the Champions League but they have not really won too much since then.

"For the sake of Liverpool fans I want them to do as well as they can and if that means getting a new manager then so be it."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:16 pm 

Here's a list of players Benitez has bought. Not sure if it's complete.

Xabi Alonso
Luis Garcia
Josemi
Antonio Nunez
Peter Crouch
Fernando Morientes
Jose Manuel Reina
Mohamed Sissoko
Mark Gonzalez
Scott Carson
Antonio Barragan
Besian Idrizaj
Jack Hobbs
Mauricio Pellegrino
Boudewijn Zenden
Godwin Antwi
Ramon Calliste
Miki Roque
Dirk Kuyt
Jermaine Pennant
Craig Bellamy
Daniel Agger
Gabriel Paletta
Fabio Aurelio
Nabil El Zhar
Robbie Fowler
Jan Kromkamp
Paul Anderson
David Martin
Fernando Torres
Javier Mascherano
Ryan Babel
Lucas Leiva
Yossi Benayoun
Alvaro Arbeloa
S Leto
Mikel San Jose
Krisztian Nemeth
Dani Pacheco
Alexander Kacaniklic
Andriy Voronin
Emiliano Insua
Charles Itandje
Damien Plessis
Mikail Alexandrov
Jordy Brouwer
Gerardo Bruna
Ryan Crowther
Francisco Manuel Duran
Ronald Huth
Gary Mackay Steven
Nikolay Mihaylov
Marvin Pourie
Andras Simon
Danielle Padelli
Robbie Keane
Albert Riera
Andrea Dossena
Martin Skrtel
Diego Cavalieri
David Ngog
Alex Cooper
Philipp Degen
Lauri Dalla Valle
Vitor Flora
Peter Gulacsi
Emmanuel Mendy
Nikola Saric
Vincent Lucas Weijl
Victor Palsson
Sotirios Kyrgiakos

:eek:

And they're a two man team :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:00 pm 

because the other 98 are/were shit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:02 pm 

Kubrick wrote:

Xabi Alonso
Luis Garcia
Josemi
Antonio Nunez
Peter Crouch
Fernando Morientes
Jose Manuel Reina
Mohamed Sissoko
Mark Gonzalez
Scott Carson
Antonio Barragan
Besian Idrizaj
Jack Hobbs
Mauricio Pellegrino
Boudewijn Zenden
Godwin Antwi
Ramon Calliste
Miki Roque
Dirk Kuyt
Jermaine Pennant
Craig Bellamy
Daniel Agger
Gabriel Paletta
Fabio Aurelio
Nabil El Zhar
Robbie Fowler
Jan Kromkamp
Paul Anderson
David Martin
Fernando Torres
Javier Mascherano
Ryan Babel
Lucas Leiva
Yossi Benayoun
Alvaro Arbeloa
S Leto
Mikel San Jose
Krisztian Nemeth
Dani Pacheco
Alexander Kacaniklic
Andriy Voronin
Emiliano Insua
Charles Itandje
Damien Plessis
Mikail Alexandrov
Jordy Brouwer
Gerardo Bruna
Ryan Crowther
Francisco Manuel Duran
Ronald Huth
Gary Mackay Steven
Nikolay Mihaylov
Marvin Pourie
Andras Simon
Danielle Padelli
Robbie Keane
Albert Riera
Andrea Dossena
Martin Skrtel
Diego Cavalieri
David Ngog
Alex Cooper
Philipp Degen
Lauri Dalla Valle
Vitor Flora
Peter Gulacsi
Emmanuel Mendy
Nikola Saric
Vincent Lucas Weijl
Victor Palsson
Sotirios Kyrgiakos

bloody hell..
didn't realise he bought bellers..i thought he was already there..
what a nob head..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:17 pm 

Colly was saying on talksport how rafa was always wanting to buy an enormous number of young players for £1-3m each to build a squad for the future but he bought shite. I can see
What he was saying now. I have literally never heard of half those players. Never even remember the transfer being done or anything

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm 

Kubrick wrote:

Xabi Alonso
Luis Garcia

Josemi
Antonio Nunez
Peter Crouch
Fernando Morientes
Jose Manuel Reina
Mohamed Sissoko
Mark Gonzalez
Scott Carson
Antonio Barragan
Besian Idrizaj
Jack Hobbs
Mauricio Pellegrino
Boudewijn Zenden
Godwin Antwi
Ramon Calliste
Miki Roque
Dirk Kuyt
Jermaine Pennant
Craig Bellamy
Daniel Agger

Gabriel Paletta
Fabio Aurelio
Nabil El Zhar
Robbie Fowler
Jan Kromkamp
Paul Anderson
David Martin
Fernando Torres
Javier Mascherano
Ryan Babel

Lucas Leiva
Yossi Benayoun
Alvaro Arbeloa

S Leto
Mikel San Jose
Krisztian Nemeth
Dani Pacheco
Alexander Kacaniklic
Andriy Voronin
Emiliano Insua
Charles Itandje
Damien Plessis
Mikail Alexandrov
Jordy Brouwer
Gerardo Bruna
Ryan Crowther
Francisco Manuel Duran
Ronald Huth
Gary Mackay Steven
Nikolay Mihaylov
Marvin Pourie
Andras Simon
Danielle Padelli
Robbie Keane
Albert Riera

Andrea Dossena
Martin Skrtel

Diego Cavalieri
David Ngog
Alex Cooper
Philipp Degen
Lauri Dalla Valle
Vitor Flora
Peter Gulacsi
Emmanuel Mendy
Nikola Saric
Vincent Lucas Weijl
Victor Palsson
Sotirios Kyrgiakos

those are just the ones i've heard of or remember seeing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:25 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
those are just the ones i've heard of or remember seeing.

You ain't heard of Sissoko or Fabio Aurelio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:28 pm 

because the other 98 are/were shit?

Not necessarily (though most of them are/were). To have brought in so many players and basically be a two man team highlights how rubbish he has been in the transfer market.

Benitez transfer figures as of June 15 2009
Total gross spend: £192.609m
Total recouped: £109.51m
Total net spend: £83.099m
Players signed: 70

More details of ins/outs and fees here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article6506040.ece

Benitez likes to moan about the lack of funds he gets in comparison to others. He likes to paint the picture that he's cobbled together his team on a shoestring budget. It's not true.

The second table here ( http://www.transferleague.co.uk/ ) shows that - Net Premier League spending club by club since '04 (when he took over).

He can argue he had a lot of work to do from the Houllier era. He probably has a case. They had a lot of shit players, but he did (somehow) manage to win the Champions League with that squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm 

not sissoko, although yes the other one. not when looking at that list though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:34 pm 

not sissoko, although yes the other one. not when looking at that list though.

Great player

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:26 pm 

catch all thread for red bin dippers

Javier Mascherano praises Rafael Benítez after recent criticism• Mascherano expected to sign a new contract soon
• 'I'm a better player and person for working with Rafa'
Tweet this (6)Press Association
guardian.co.uk, Friday 26 March 2010 10.50 GMT
Article history

Javier Mascherano has said Liverpool will probably need to win all their remaining league matches to finish fourth. Photograph: John Walton/Empics Sport

Javier Mascherano has praised Rafael Benítez for making him 'a better player and a better person'.

The Liverpool manager was last week criticised by the winger Albert Riera for his communication skills and handling of players. That outburst appears certain to see the Spain international sent out on loan in the next fortnight to a club in Russia, where the transfer window does not close until early next month.

However, Argentina captain Mascherano, who yesterday said he expected to sign a new contract very soon, has praised Benítez. "All managers have different ways of working," said the 25-year-old, who was rescued from the fringes of a struggling West Ham United squad in January 2007 by Benítez. "Rafa is totally different from [Argentina coach] Diego Maradona and the other managers I've had.

"For three and a half years I've been working with Rafa and I can now say I'm a better player and a better person from when I arrived here. That's down to Rafa and his staff."

Mascherano, who has been one of Liverpool's most consistent performers this season, believes the team have to win their remaining seven matches to secure Champions League football next season.

If they were to do that they would finish with 72 points, which was more than enough for Arsenal to clinch fourth last season as they finished nine points clear of Everton. "I think we will have to win all our games. We have seven finals and we have to win all of them to have hope of finishing fourth," he said.

"If we can win 21 points, maybe we will be there. If not, it will be very difficult."

And the Argentinian has singled out their three remaining away matches – against Birmingham City, Burnley and Hull City – for special attention. Liverpool have won only four times away in the league this season, with their last victory coming at Aston Villa on 29 December.

"I think the problem for us this season has been the away form," he said. "Obviously we have to keep going in the same way at home, but if we want to have hopes of finishing fourth, we have to improve away."

"yes rafa sir, you can slip it in now rafa sir" mascherano added.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:03 am 

Quote:
Rafa's riches: Juventus offer Benitez £16m deal and £70m to spend to leave Liverpool
EXCLUSIVE By JOHN EDWARDS
Last updated at 11:02 PM on 15th April 2010
Comments (0)
Add to My Stories
Rafa Benitez has been offered a four-year deal worth £16million and a £70m transfer fund in the latest attempt by Juventus to lure him away from Liverpool.
Details of the Italian club’s determination to install him in the summer emerged in the wake of a six-hour meeting between the Liverpool manager’s agent and two Juve board members in Milan last weekend.

Big deal: Benitez could soon wave goodbye
Club president Jean-Claude Blanc and director Carlo Barel di Sant’Albano told Manuel Garcia Quilon a contract worth almost £4m a year had been drawn up and that up to £70m would be available for new signings.
It is understood potential transfer targets were discussed, with Wolfsburg striker Edin Dzeko and Fiorentina left back Juan Manuel Vargas figuring prominently, after it was made clear Benitez would demand a complete overhaul of Juventus’s defence.

On the shopping list: Dzeko (left) and Vargas
Benitez has yet to decide whether to continue with a Liverpool contract that runs until 2014 and is aware there could be a vacancy at his old club Real Madrid, with Manuel Pellegrini expected to be sacked.
But Juventus believe the Spaniard could yet be swayed by the terms and conditions in Turin.
Apart from the financial inducements, they are debt-free and on schedule to move into a new stadium next year after being given land to build on

Baffling, am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 am 

tbf his record in spain was excellent

Aguero