Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
It's outrageous you can buy a Premiership football club one day and sell it the next. Should have to sign up to some mininum period of ownership

So much for the FA's fit and proper test.

The owner of a club must be able to show they have the means to run the club and have a business plan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:10 pm 

I wonder who this twat is going to support now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:17 pm 

slart wrote:
Portsmouth will only go into administration if there is some cash to keep them going. This doesn't seem to be the case. If the club cease to trade/ play, then the points won against them will be lost.

Which is our worst case. We lose 6 points, Liverpool lose 0.
Got to wait a week to find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:18 pm 
PintoMcGuinness wrote:
Which is our worst case. We lose 6 points, Liverpool lose 0.
Got to wait a week to find out.

They only need a couple of mil. We need to give them the money to survive. Doubt it will come to that though. The Prem league cannot afford the fallout of a club ceasing to exist mid season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:23 pm 

Emigre wrote:
They only need a couple of mil. We need to give them the money to survive. Doubt it will come to that though. The Prem league cannot afford the fallout of a club ceasing to exist mid season.

The Premier League have a responsibility in making sure that the owners of the club are up to the job and can fulfil their obligations. It is only a matter of time before a big club goes belly up.

Chelsea were on the verge before Roman stepped in. It could have been us when we were owned by Frank.

Nex time it could be Liverpool or the rags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:25 pm 
slart wrote:
The Premier League have a responsibility in making sure that the owners of the club are up to the job and can fulfil their obligations. It is only a matter of time before a big club goes belly up.

Chelsea were on the verge before Roman stepped in. It could have been us when we were owned by Frank.

Nex time it could be Liverpool or the rags.

Doesn't change the fact that the FA won't let this happen. The rags will lose 6 points and Chelsea only 3. You think Ferguson will let his cronies at the FA take points off them and potentially cost them the title? I don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:34 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Doesn't change the fact that the FA won't let this happen. The rags will lose 6 points and Chelsea only 3. You think Ferguson will let his cronies at the FA take points off them and potentially cost them the title? I don't.

How can they stop it? The winding up order is out of their hands. Other clubs can't have a whip around because for them either and why should they get a hand out from the FA or the Prem? They've been given enough help to date so bollocks to them.

And their fans are twats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 pm 
slart wrote:
How can they stop it? The winding up order is out of their hands. Other clubs can't have a whip around because for them either and why should they get a hand out from the FA or the Prem? They've been given enough help to date so bollocks to them.

And their fans are twats.

And bollocks to our Champions league place? Fuck that. Keep em alive until the end of the season and then fuck them off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 pm 

Emigre wrote:
And bollocks to our Champions league place? Fuck that. Keep em alive until the end of the season and then fuck them off.

It is sickening that this might happen.

Manchester City should sue the FA and the Prem for not making sure that the multiple new owners of Portsmouth were suitable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm 

As a supporter of a team that have been in administration twice in recent years, I'd be shocked to see Portsmouth get wound up. The players wages are presumably the largest issue in regards to the club seeing out the season - the PFA has a fund set aside for when clubs aren't paying the players, so that should cover that issue (whether the players get the full amount is a different matter). The administrators will go in and basically lay off everyone who isn't 'necessary' in the functioning of the club. A date will be set (probably in the summer) as to when a new buyer has to be found - a last-minute buyer will probably buy the club paying only one pence in the pound or something like that. Portsmouth will be deducted ten points, all the players will leave in the summer and they'll end up around about where Southampton are now.

As for the Wimbledon scenario - they didn't exactly fold. They just became Franchise FC and so the majority of the remaining Wimbledon fans went to support AFC Wimbledon instead of the club that the majority of lower league clubs despise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:32 pm 

9 day stay of execution in court to get something sorted.

If the premier League or FA cough up for them then they have to do it for everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm 

We can expect a team or two to go this way every season from now on.

I hope the rags are next in line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 pm 

slart wrote:
We can expect a team or two to go this way every season from now on.

I hope the rags are next in line.

In the Premiership? Doubt it - clubs are now making efforts to cut down expenses (as can be seen by the last transfer window) and there's still plenty of TV revenue (in the Premiership).

It's been going on in the lower leagues for years. Boston, Carlisle, Rotherham, Luton, Chester, Darlington, Southampton.... Macclesfield are supposedly close to the brink and Accy Stanley have been for god knows how long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:23 pm 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
slart wrote:

Happens in the eircom league all the time.

Slight exaggeration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:13 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
As a supporter of a team that have been in administration twice in recent years, I'd be shocked to see Portsmouth get wound up. The players wages are presumably the largest issue in regards to the club seeing out the season - the PFA has a fund set aside for when clubs aren't paying the players, so that should cover that issue (whether the players get the full amount is a different matter). The administrators will go in and basically lay off everyone who isn't 'necessary' in the functioning of the club. A date will be set (probably in the summer) as to when a new buyer has to be found - a last-minute buyer will probably buy the club paying only one pence in the pound or something like that. Portsmouth will be deducted ten points, all the players will leave in the summer and they'll end up around about where Southampton are now.

As for the Wimbledon scenario - they didn't exactly fold. They just became Franchise FC and so the majority of the remaining Wimbledon fans went to support AFC Wimbledon instead of the club that the majority of lower league clubs despise.

Plastic

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:29 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
9 day stay of execution in court to get something sorted.

If the premier League or FA cough up for them then they have to do it for everyone

Seven days isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:54 pm 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
Plastic

I like to think of myself as polyethylene terephthalate - I'm a special kind of plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:59 pm 

Portsmouth are getting relegated for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 pm 

I can't describe how depressed this has made me thinking about it, I don't really care about portsmouth as a club but man, imagine how bad you wold feel if one day you woke up and City just weren't there. Like you couldn't just support someone else (except darlo, 'cause he already does) and your whole view on football is gone forever. I can't bare to think of this. I'm suddenly very aware the arabs could fuck off once we've won the CL and leave us with rediculous wages to pay and thus the same thing occurs. Scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:09 pm 

hogeymack wrote:
I can't describe how depressed this has made me thinking about it, I don't really care about portsmouth as a club but man, imagine how bad you wold feel if one day you woke up and City just weren't there. Like you couldn't just support someone else (except darlo, 'cause he already does) and your whole view on football is gone forever. I can't bare to think of this. I'm suddenly very aware the arabs could fuck off once we've won the CL and leave us with rediculous wages to pay and thus the same thing occurs. Scary.

Nah, it wont be a bottomless pit forever, at some stage in future City needs to be an operating business, working at evens or better...a profit. To get a wage bill sky high and then pull the financial backing from it suddenly would be a bastard of a thing to do.