This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:01 pm 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/o/oldham_athletic/7945172.stm

Royle replaces Sheridan at Oldham
Joe Royle
Royle was in charge at Boundary Park from 1982-94

Joe Royle is to return to Oldham as manager until the end of the season after John Sheridan parted company with the club on Sunday.

Royle, 59, previously guided the Latics to a League Cup final, two FA Cup semi-finals and the top flight during his first spell from 1982-94.

He later went on to manage Everton, Manchester City and Ipswich but has been out of the game for three years.

His first game in charge will be at home to Tranmere next Saturday.

The Latics are currently eighth in League One but are without a win in their last three games.

His appointment comes just hours after they parted company with Sheridan following a week of controversy at Boundary Park.

They were hammered 6-2 by promotion hopefuls MK Dons on Saturday, for a disappointing end to a week which included a number of alleged incidents following a team night out at Belle Vue greyhound track.

The club announced on Thursday that one player had been fined two weeks' wages with two others warned abo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:03 pm 
I fully expect him to do a shit job and then try and sue the team he just relegated on a technicality. Twat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 pm 

Shame it went sour with Royle. He did a great job with us. He underestimated the Premier League taliban, but the two promotions were superb. Getting us straight back up from division two was crucial, you look at other big teams who've dropped and stayed down there and you think it could have been pretty grim for us.

Shame he shat on us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:13 pm 
Squidge wrote:
Shame it went sour with Royle. He did a great job with us. He underestimated the Premier League taliban, but the two promotions were superb. Getting us straight back up from division two was crucial, you look at other big teams who've dropped and stayed down there and you think it could have been pretty grim for us.

Shame he shat on us.

Not doubting his success at City. But as you said, he shat on us, and that is unforgivable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:31 pm 

We used to play hockey on platt lane when City trained there. One of our players had a heart attack and died during a game. The next week , City were not playing for somwe reason but were training. Royle had heard about the guy and came across to offer his condolences.
Maybe he is not all bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 pm 

Squidge wrote:

Shame he shat on us.

Pretty much what I wanted to say. Winds me up when people slag off Royle, or worse, try to give Keegan credit for our revival/survival.

I don't think he underestimated the Premiership. He had to build a Prem team from a squad that was for the most part in Div 2 two seasons before. Most teams struggle to stay up even when they don't have that additional handicap.

As for him shitting on us, it did show a lack of class, but so did we when we sacked him and sullied his name after all he'd done for us. If I were him I'd have felt pretty bitter about it.

Good luck to him.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:47 pm 

Got Lucky wrote:
Pretty much what I wanted to say. Winds me up when people slag off Royle, or worse, try to give Keegan credit for our revival/survival.

I don't think he underestimated the Premiership. He had to build a Prem team from a squad that was for the most part in Div 2 two seasons before. Most teams struggle to stay up even when they don't have that additional handicap.

As for him shitting on us, it did show a lack of class, but so did we when we sacked him and sullied his name after all he'd done for us. If I were him I'd have felt pretty bitter about it.

Good luck to him.

GL, this doesn't happen too often so this is a weird thing for me but......i conker.

I don't really hold any bad feelings towards him. Wish that shit hadn't happened but it doesn't take away from what he did.

I do think he underestimated it a tad though....i may be wrong but i seem to remember talk of qualifying for europe? Or maybe that was just George Weah, it came from somebody though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:08 am 

Got Lucky wrote:

Good luck to him.

Conker.

Good luck big Joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:12 am 

Never had a problem with Joe and he did do a superb job for us and was responsable for the only two times I have cried over city

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:16 am 

Timpblue wrote:
Never had a problem with Joe and he did do a superb job for us and was responsable for the only two times I have cried over city

Ipswich away, beaten 2-1 and relegated. That's my only time. I was inconsolable. I cried after the match and then nearly burst into tears on the way into school the next morning. If we ever get to a cup final and lose it i know i'll cry. Well, assuming we haven't won before it. You know, i wouldn't cry at losing an FA Cup final in ten years if we've won a few between then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:47 am 

Squidge wrote:
Ipswich away, beaten 2-1 and relegated. That's my only time. I was inconsolable. I cried after the match and then nearly burst into tears on the way into school the next morning. If we ever get to a cup final and lose it i know i'll cry. Well, assuming we haven't won before it. You know, i wouldn't cry at losing an FA Cup final in ten years if we've won a few between then.

Gillingham
Blackburn

only two times

ok, ok Stoke away as well

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm 

I wept last time we went down, who actually put us down? Cant remember but I started tearing up and thought I was gonna be okay but my mate who isnt a City fan created a song and a dance where he bounced up and down on the spot to him singing 'relegashuuun, relegashuuun, relegashuuun', put me over the edge, I had no come back I just wanted to forget that I follow football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:18 pm 

Ipswich away - then we sacked joe off and got keegan

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
Ipswich away - then we sacked joe off and got keegan

and did Joe then go to Ipswich?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:28 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
and did Joe then go to Ipswich?

think so

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:31 pm 

Timpblue wrote:
think so

thoughtful of him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:59 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I wept last time we went down, who actually put us down? Cant remember but I started tearing up and thought I was gonna be okay but my mate who isnt a City fan created a song and a dance where he bounced up and down on the spot to him singing 'relegashuuun, relegashuuun, relegashuuun', put me over the edge, I had no come back I just wanted to forget that I follow football.

Yeah Ipswich away, that was mine. Horrible horrible night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:04 pm 
Last time I cried over a game of football was Borussia Mönchengladbach away in 1977. I had placed a lot of my childhood hopes on winning the UEFA cup that year having been to every home leg. Oh and I might have had a small tear in 1981 after the Cup Final Replay.

Also, the minutes silence at Maine Road for Joe Mercer. There were a lot of burly men stood around me in the Kippax and we were all choking back the tears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 pm 

Timpblue wrote:

Mine are...

'81 Cup Final. I was young.

'99 Play Off Final. Really was shit or bust that match.

Baggies, Baggies, Boing, Boing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:09 pm 

I filled up a little bit when I heard we'd sold Sweep. I was in Thailand on very powerful hallucinogens at the time though.

Didn't realise Sheridan had left the latics. Shocker. He'll go on to be a good manager in time I suspect.

Funny one for big Joe to go back there. Will he cope without the plastic pitch this time?