Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whoops
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:33 pm 

Droylsden have been thrown out of the FA Cup after they were found guilty of fielding an ineligible player in their second-round win over Chesterfield.

Sean Newton scored both goals to help his side to a 2-1 win.

But Chesterfield asked the Football Association to intervene when they discovered Newton should have been serving a one-match ban on 23 December.

Chesterfield will now face Ipswich on 3 January, although Droylsden have lodged an appeal.

According to the FA website, any appeal must be made with the association by 0900 GMT on Tuesday 30 December, with the appeal to be heard the following day.

Droylsden manager and chairman Dave Pace told BBC Radio Manchester: "It is ludicrous as we have beaten Chesterfield fair and square on the field.

"It is not as if we have brought a ringer in at the last minute. Sean Newton is one of our players.

"It was a genuine mistake by our secretary. Fine us by all means but don't kick us out."

Chesterfield manager Lee Richardson said: "This has been a cup tie with many talking points and it seems that the FA has now had the last word.

"The outcome is no real surprise as the rules clearly set out what it likely to happen if a club plays an ineligible player."

An FA statement added: "The FA Cup prize fund payment of £30,000 should be redirected to Chesterfield.

"There is no fine imposed against Droylsden and the club's participation in future FA Cup competitions is not affected."

Bloods manager and chairman Pace had previously given his version of the Newton situation.

He said the club sent a fax to the FA explaining that as far as they were concerned, Newton would serve his ban in their league game on Boxing Day.

"If there was any doubt from our point of view that he should not have played against Chesterfield then he would not have," he told BBC Radio 5 Live at the time.

Pace then added that he would "go to the nearest bridge" and throw himself off if Droylsden were thrown out of the Cup.

606: DEBATE
What do you think of the decision?
The second-round match between the two sides was played four times.

The first and third matches were abandoned because of fog and floodlight failure, with a controversial 2-2 draw at Saltergate sandwiched in between.

The Blue Square North side had protested furiously when Jack Lester put Chesterfield 2-1 up, lobbing the keeper from a throw-in after the visitors had put the ball out of play for an injured player.

The home side then allowed Steve Halford to walk unchallenged into their half to tap the ball in for the equaliser.

In 2006, Bury were expelled from the competition for a similar offence.

In that incident, Stephen Turnbull played in Bury's second-round tie against Chester, who were reinstated and allowed through to the third round, where, by a bizarre twist, Ipswich were once again the waiting opposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 pm 

Is their manager the mouthy twat who whinged like a little girl over the goal scored against them when he felt the ball should have been given back?

Serves the twat right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:40 pm 

I should so. It's not even like the player they fielded came on for a minute at the end. They have played an inelligble player and he scored their two goals.

Break the rules, take the punishment. Tough shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:45 pm 

The only reason i found it funny is that it got replayed that about 4 times didn't it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:24 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
The only reason i found it funny is that it got replayed that about 4 times didn't it.

Yeah, they played 4 matches... Droylsden finally win and get booted out! madness.

I'm gutted for them. £30k prize money is a hell of a lot for a club like them, now they've got to give it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:36 pm 

Jona_Volume wrote:
Yeah, they played 4 matches... Droylsden finally win and get booted out! madness.

I'm gutted for them. £30k prize money is a hell of a lot for a club like them, now they've got to give it back.

I'm not. I feel sorry for the fans obviously but not the club. They broke the rules. They have to face the punishment. Lucky they didn't get fined as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:45 pm 

Squidge wrote:
I'm not. I feel sorry for the fans obviously but not the club. They broke the rules. They have to face the punishment. Lucky they didn't get fined as well.

Yeah, I understand all that but the manager is saying it wasn't clear which match newton was banned for... and he didn't think it was this one... or he obviously wouldn't have played him. Lack of communication between the club and the FA. If he picked him on purpose knowing he shouldn't have then he's a muppet for doing so.

Will see what the appeal brings. Might see Chesterfield v Droylsden Part 5 yet!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 pm 

It is a bit iffy the ruling on When a player is banned for a game. I thought Ireland would have missed the FA Cup game as the Blackburn player who got booked misses their Cup game, but because of something to do with a week thing it'll be less than a week after his 5th booking So Ireland has to miss the Portsmouth game but because the Blackburn fellas next game is over a week he can miss the FA cup match. Confused???? so am i.:confused:. I can't see the Droylsden manager purposely playing an ineligible player it's them bloody Rules they're mad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:54 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
It is a bit iffy the ruling on When a player is banned for a game. I thought Ireland would have missed the FA Cup game as the Blackburn player who got booked misses their Cup game, but because of something to do with a week thing it'll be less than a week after his 5th booking So Ireland has to miss the Portsmouth game but because the Blackburn fellas next game is over a week he can miss the FA cup match. Confused???? so am i.:confused:. I can't see the Droylsden manager purposely playing an ineligible player it's them bloody Rules they're mad.

:confused:Exactly!:confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:05 pm 

Must be gutting, a team to go that far in the cup and then be thrown out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:15 pm 

i guess that secretary wont keep the job for too long :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:34 pm 
GermanCityFan wrote:
i guess that secretary wont keep the job for too long :rolleyes:

He should have spent more time looking at the rules and less time painting his nails and reading Heat magazine or whatever it is that secretaries do these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:43 pm 

Emigre wrote:
He should have spent more time looking at the rules and less time painting his nails and reading Heat magazine or whatever it is that secretaries do these days.

nowadays they dont read magazines anymore. they read blogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:44 pm 
GermanCityFan wrote:
nowadays they dont read magazines anymore. they read blogs.

Then who buys Heat magazine because somebody sure as shit is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:49 pm 

Emigre wrote:
Then who buys Heat magazine because somebody sure as shit is?

thats a good question. maybe the publisher himself?

Or most realistic: medical practices to put them into bacteria contaminated antechambers.