Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:01 am 

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/11/ched-evans-to-train-with-sheffield-united-according-to-reports

Quote:

Ched Evans to train with Sheffield United, according to reports

• BBC reports Evans will train with Blades this week
• Evans scored 35 in 42 appearances in 2011-12 season
• United board will decide if Evans returns, says Clough

Guardian sport

Ched Evans scored 35 goals in 42 appearances for Sheffield United in the 2011-12 season.

The convicted rapist Ched Evans will train with his former club Sheffield United later this week, according to the BBC.

Evans, who was freed from prison last month after serving half of a five-year sentence, has divided opinion as to whether he should return to the club for whom he scored 35 goals in 42 appearances in the 2011-12 season.

As many as 157,000 people signed a petition urging Sheffield United not to re-sign the 25-year-old, who maintains his innocence and released a video statement on his personal website last month stating his intention to return to football.

The Sheffield United manager, Nigel Clough, has maintained that any decision to re-sign the striker will rest with the owners, Prince Abdullah Bin Musa’ad Bin Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia, and Kevin McCabe, but allowing Evans to train will be perceived by many as the first step towards his return to the club.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:12 pm 

Part ofme says he has been punished and should be allowed to return to his previous lfe it another says that itis wrong

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:10 pm 

i think what makes it wrong is that he has been convicted of rape, yet maintains and insists it was an act of infidelity. If he had accepted that he had been found guilty and showed a scrap of contrition then i would be onboard with the "served his time" thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:42 pm 

Cheddertron returns.....
keep you're back to the wall folks.. :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:42 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
i think what makes it wrong is that he has been convicted of rape, yet maintains and insists it was an act of infidelity. If he had accepted that he had been found guilty and showed a scrap of contrition then i would be onboard with the "served his time" thing.

He hasn't pleased guilty though and doesn't accept his guilt, so why would that ^^ matter. If he isn't guilty, then why would he just roll over and accept the shitstorm he's going to get? Would any of us?

The Criminal Case Review Commission has announced it's going to fast-track his case review in the light of new evidence, so there may yet be some substance to his claims of innocence. There are certainly some things about the conviction that look on the dodgy side - the victim's deleted tweets, her false claim that she'd been drugged, the CCTV footage of her at the hotel etc. Be interesting to see how it pans out. I do think he'd be better keeping his head down for the time being though.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:26 pm 

ok, maybe not accepted his conviction, but setting up a website protesting his infidelity is kind of too far in the other direction, rather than keeping his head down and waiting for the appeal. tbf not aware of any of the specifics regarding evidence.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:45 am 

I guess he's probably not the first to do that website thing, but he's probably the first with a millionaire girlfriend to do it for him while he was inside, and with a high enough profile to guarantee the traction he's got.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:19 am 

Bastard wrote:
gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:

He hasn't pleased guilty though and doesn't accept his guilt, so why would that ^^ matter. If he isn't guilty, then why would he just roll over and accept the shitstorm he's going to get? Would any of us?

The Criminal Case Review Commission has announced it's going to fast-track his case review in the light of new evidence, so there may yet be some substance to his claims of innocence. There are certainly some things about the conviction that look on the dodgy side - the victim's deleted tweets, her false claim that she'd been drugged, the CCTV
footage of her at the hotel etc. Be interesting to see how it pans out. I do think he'd be better keeping his head down for the time being though.

He has everything to gain and nothing to lose by protesting his innocence though doesn't he?

Personally, I reckon like any ex-offender, it boils down to whether he would continue to represent a risk to others by virtue of the job he's going to do. Does re-employing him as a footballer make him any more likely to re-offend or not? If not, then he's done his time and is entitled to rehabilitation and re-employment.

This makes for an interesting read though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29883813

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 pm 

Having said that, he was refused the right to appeal at the trial which could be seen as indicative of guilt. A case review is a different matter. Also, any apparent actions which could indicate that it was consensual on the CCTV are irrelevant as consent can be withdrawn at any point, or someone can no longer be capable of consent, before or during the act. That doesn't mean she didn't withdraw consent after and decide to press charges, or fabricate the matter or whatever, but it could make the CCTV irrelevant.

given jesus's point about the relatively low conviction rate at trial, and the prevalence of certain prejudices (she was drunk and asking for it) and attitudes, that he was convicted also lends weight to the evidence and the verdict being correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 pm 

I think she claimed she wasn't capable of consenting to it because she was so drunk, which doesn't really come across in the CCTV of her getting out of the taxi, going into the hotel, then going back to the taxi for the pizza tbf.

Also what I don't understand is Ched's mate supposedly shagged her first, but that was OK? Is the suggestion that she shagged the other bloke, then carried on drinking and passed out, which is when Ched hopped on?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:53 pm 

i think she'd left with ched's mate, then he followed after. possibly he wasn't with them, not sure on that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:57 pm 

Quote:
An appeal against Evans's conviction was rejected by three judges at the Court of Appeal in 2012. His case is due to be looked at by the Criminal Cases Review Commission.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:06 am 

Well whether he is a raper or not he has served his punishment for the crime. Do we now say that he should never integrate as a normal member of society again? He is not Ched Evans that works at burger king, he is Ched evans, the former rapist that now works at Burger King.

Sadly for any girls that are actually rape victims out there, I am entirely doubtful of any rape claims where a z-list celeb or higher is involved.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:19 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Sadly for any girls that are actually rape victims out there, I am entirely doubtful of any rape claims where a z-list celeb or higher is involved.

Possibly the most cretinous comment I've ever read on the forum and one that demonstrates precisely why people like Savile, Harris, Clifford, Glitter, Travis et al got away with it for years and years.

Google "Elm Guest House" if you're not already aware of it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:25 am 

Works both ways JoN, I am in no doubt there has been organised, institutionalised rape of people. That is not in question, and in terms of ANY church group I automatically believe them guilty of this. Cos religion is manifestly evil. However a drunk chick with a pro footballer claiming rape when drunk, my ears prick up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:40 am 

Studs has a point, unfortunate as it may be. You get the impression from hearing agents interviewed that making a rape claim against a footballer is seen as a cash cow in certain quarters.

South East Citizen wrote:
I think she claimed she wasn't capable of consenting to it because she was so drunk, which doesn't really come across in the CCTV of her getting out of the taxi, going into the hotel, then going back to the taxi for the pizza tbf.

Also what I don't understand is Ched's mate supposedly shagged her first, but that was OK? Is the suggestion that she shagged the other bloke, then carried on drinking and passed out, which is when Ched hopped on?

and this ^^. When you hear his mate's side of the story, it just seems fucking weird that one's guilty and not the other.

edit: his mate in the Brum paper: http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mi ... ks-6788373

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:02 am 

Bastard wrote:
Studs has a point, unfortunate as it may be. You get the impression from hearing agents interviewed that making a rape claim against a footballer is seen as a cash cow in certain quarters.

Oh, I did not know that. If their agents say it then it must be true.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 am 

Jesus O'Nazareth wrote:
Bastard wrote:

Oh, I did not know that. If their agents say it then it must be true.

You sound strikingly pro-guilty under any circumstance here rather than objective JoN. If you think for a moment I am against those that are guilty getting punished then you have me wrong. If you accept that there is an element of celeb/rape claims then...we can get along. Otherwise, we cannot. Except in person. Where we are besties, again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:49 am 

Imagine if it was the other way round, a white girl shagging a white dude then a black guy doing the same thing and being done for rape. We wouldn't have heard anything about it - prosecutors wouldn't have touched it with a 10 foot barge pole.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:56 pm 

Bastard wrote:

it just seems fucking weird that one's guilty and not the other.

Really? Does this mean that when a girl agrees to have sex with a bloke she automatically agrees to have sex with his mate later that night as well?

Ched Evans was found guilty, his appeal was turned down and the conviction stands.