Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: England V Montenegro
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:21 am 

Who gives a flying......... Savic Hat-trick and to wreck Shreks and Wellbecks careers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 am 

England. Meh.
Bunch of overhyped and overpaid footballers.

Barton has a point in that nothing has changed. It's still more or less going to be the same grouping of players who will fail.

Turkey v Germany for me tonight. Could be fun.
Özil the German to bag a hat-trick. :D

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:33 am 

Ozil to cling to the rafters of the stadium camouflaged against the background lurking in wait for any unsuspecting flies imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 am 

Read a surprisingly coherent and interesting interview by Jamie Carragher saying every England manager from now on should be English. The team doctor should be the best English doctor, the boot man should be the best English boot man etc. A national team made up of people from England. I reckon that's where a lot of the apathy towards the national team comes from. It is for me anyway. I fucking hate Capello and the fact that the manager of England still hasn't got a decent grasp of English, not to mention the fact that he's still being paid millions of pounds a year despite having failed miserably in every tournament we've competed in since he's been in charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:37 am 

I think that'd just raise my apathy levels to heights never before reached. Capello's grasp of English is roughly on a par with Rooney's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:49 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
Read a surprisingly coherent and interesting interview by Jamie Carragher saying every England manager from now on should be English. The team doctor should be the best English doctor, the boot man should be the best English boot man etc. A national team made up of people from England. I reckon that's where a lot of the apathy towards the national team comes from. It is for me anyway. I fucking hate Capello and the fact that the manager of England still hasn't got a decent grasp of English, not to mention the fact that he's still being paid millions of pounds a year despite having failed miserably in every tournament we've competed in since he's been in charge.

I think there is more to it than just that, even though several well good points are stated. The FA itself is to blame for the apathy in regards to Wembley. When there was no Wembley stadium, the team toured the country. People around the country got to see England play. Now it has returned to being a London team in an expensive stadium.
Also players showing a lack of interest in playing for England, has hardly helped matters either. Last year's World Cup certainly showed up our players for their lack of skill and interest in the international scene.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am 

I Was surprised at Scholes admission (not really surprised tbh) That when on England Duty the U*d players were altogether, Liverpool players , Tottenham etc and none of the players mixed together,Sounded like none of them could be bothered mixing it up a bit. No wonder where a fucking shambles, i still say Wenger for England.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
I think there is more to it than just that, even though several well good points are stated. The FA itself is to blame for the apathy in regards to Wembley. When there was no Wembley stadium, the team toured the country. People around the country got to see England play. Now it has returned to being a London team in an expensive stadium.
Also players showing a lack of interest in playing for England, has hardly helped matters either. Last year's World Cup certainly showed up our players for their lack of skill and interest in the international scene.

Yeah all that certainly doesn't help.

Gallagheresque wrote:
I Was surprised at Scholes admission (not really surprised tbh) That when on England Duty the U*d players were altogether, Liverpool players , Tottenham etc and none of the players mixed together,Sounded like none of them could be bothered mixing it up a bit. No wonder where a fucking shambles, i still say Wenger for England.

I just don't see why a Frenchmen should be given the task of leading the England team anymore than an Italian. I'm not particularly patriotic but it seem to detract from the whole point of it for me. I don't know if that smacks of xenophobia, it's probably politically incorrect to say it these days, but that's one job that shouldn't be open to jonny forienger IMO.

Are you with me Winny?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:18 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
i still say Wenger for England.

under 17s, maybe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:23 am 

Yeah all that certainly doesn't help.

I just don't see why a Frenchmen should be given the task of leading the England team anymore than an Italian. I'm not particularly patriotic but it seem to detract from the whole point of it for me. I don't know if that smacks of xenophobia, it's probably politically incorrect to say it these days, but that's one job that shouldn't be open to jonny forienger IMO.

Are you with me Winny?

England will mostly always fail because we simply aren't that good and the problems run a lot deeper than the nationalities of the staff around the England squad. It's more down to the ridiculous boom/bust cycle of the press raising everyone's expectations before every major tournament then blaming it all on a foreign manager/referee when it inevitably comes crashing hilariously down around us. This is all going to lead to Harry fucking Redknapp being England manager after Euros and it's going to be horrible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:32 am 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
England will mostly always fail because we simply aren't that good and the problems run a lot deeper than the nationalities of the staff around the England squad. It's more down to the ridiculous boom/bust cycle of the press raising everyone's expectations before every major tournament then blaming it all on a foreign manager/referee when it inevitably comes crashing hilariously down around us. This is all going to lead to Harry fucking Redknapp being England manager after Euros and it's going to be horrible.

English footballers look scared as soon as they have the ball. Like keeping possession isnt a good thing. Look at all levels of the English game, and it's full of people, including parents- berating their kids to run fast and be tough. WTF?
When opposed by teams that like to keep the ball and move it around, English players look in the main confused. When a foreign player has hold of the ball, we all wait with baited breath, while he looks elegant and stylish before producing some magic on the ball (well it's what we and the commentator seem to anticipate). An english player is the opposite, looking either like a startled bunny in the headlamps full of fear, or Forrest Gump.
Until this attitude changes, English football and England hasn't a hope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:33 am 

Are you with me Winny?

The person best qualified for the job should get the job, I don't care about nationality but they need to speak good English.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:36 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:
The person best qualified for the job should get the job, I don't care about nationality but they need to speak good English.

You let me down there Winny.

What if the best qualified person was an Islamic cleric who spoke good English?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:

Just like in the 'real' world? :rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 am 

You let me down there Winny.

What if the best qualified person was an Islamic cleric who spoke good English?

If he was into blowing up little kids and stuff he'd probably not be suitable would he?:rolleyes:

Frank Blue wrote:
Just like in the 'real' world? :rolleyes:

Nope, I'd love us to live in a meritocracy instead of the tick box culture we currently do.:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:43 am 

Frank Blue is right, the problem is prevalent at all levels of the English game where coaches still have the fat dad mentality of 'win the granthamstowe west riding youth cup' at all costs which results in the intricate playing philosophy of 'get stuck in, bomb on, lump it to the tricky/big lad up front' being valued above cultivating teamwork and skill meaning by the time they're noticed by decent clubs and the national set up they're already ingrained with that mentality, hence the England senior team having the problems that it does because at its heart they're all just tricky lads trying to do it themselves or sulking that they're not getting the ball instead of playing like cogs in a cohesive unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am 

Steve MCclaren Got well n truly fucked over by the media after the croatia Game at Wembley, Wally with the Brolly n all that, he got some unfair stick and now it follows him round, The players fucked up that day, I seem to Remember Carson well n truly did Gaff up that day n all. England Manager job is a curse. It's probably THE biggest Managerial job in the world with the expectations that come with it. Wengers been at Arsenal say 13-14 years i think he'd get the most out of our players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:56 am 

He really showed what he was capable of a Forest though didn't he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:57 am 

Winston_Smith wrote:
If he was into blowing up little kids and stuff he'd probably not be suitable would he?:rolleyes:

Why would you say that, because he's a Islamic cleric?

That's more like the Winny we know and love!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:58 am 

Why would you say that, because he's a Islamic cleric?

That's more like the Winny we know and love!

That's one of the first things I'd check for in an Islamic cleric tbh:)