All times are UTC

Post subject: GB team confirmed
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:06 pm 

Britain united for 2012 football

Page last updated at 14:27 GMT, Tuesday, 21 June 2011 15:27 UK

E-mail this to a friend
Printable version

Graphic

Footballers from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England will be available for selection for Team GB at the 2012 Olympics.

There has been opposition to all-British teams competing in London from every home nation apart from England.

But the British Olympic Association said an "historic agreement" has now been reached.

"It has been a long, six-year journey to get to this point," said BOA chief executive Andy Hunt.

However, the BOA announcement has sparked outrage from the Scottish and Welsh FAs.

Scottish Football Association president George Peat told the Press Association: "I am absolutely astounded that they have put out this statement. I know nothing about any such agreement and we want nothing to do with this tournament."
Continue reading the main story

The FA have no authority to speak on our behalf - they do not represent Wales whatsoever and that's a fact

Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard Britain united for 2012 football

Welsh FA president Phil Pritchard was equally furious, saying the FA had no right to speak on behalf of the other associations on Olympic matters.

Pritchard told the Press Association: "We are not part of any agreement. The FA have no authority to speak on our behalf - they do not represent Wales whatsoever and that's a fact.

"We have not discussed this at any time recently."

The BOA's statement indicated that all home nations were behind the move to field a GB team made up of players from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

"The FA has consulted with its partner associations in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland in developing the player-selection criteria and timeline," read the statement.

"All four associations have received a written assurance from the secretary general of the Federation Internationale de Football Association (Fifa), the international federation for football, that participation in the 2012 Olympic football tournament will in no way compromise their autonomy and independence for other Fifa-sanctioned tournaments, nor will it have any impact on their positions of leadership within the Fifa governance structure."

The BOA statement went on to detail how the men's squad would be made up, explaining that it would comprise of 18 players - 15 under-23s and three 'open age' players.

It added that the process of selecting players would begin later this year, while "an announcement of the managers for both Team GB sides will be made in due course".

The last time Britain competed in an Olympic football event was in 1960, when the men's side failed to win a medal in Rome after beating Taiwan 3-2, drawing 1-1 with Italy and losing 4-3 to Brazil.

Team GB has never fielded a women's football team at an Olympics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:09 pm 

Why do we need agreement from any of the other nations to have team GB?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm 

why would we want a team GB anyway? Just to get Gareth Bale in it?

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm 

who gives a fuck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:01 pm 

Wales, Ireland and Scotland aren't having it, does that then just make it an England team then??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:13 pm 

Scotland, N Ireland and Wales are only allowed their own FA's because they have separate national teams to England. Historically we never enter a football team GB because it would mean FIFA and the Olympic commission would stop allowing those nations to have their own leagues/FA's (and hence their own money), since they would be showing they lack national identity (or something).

An agreement was reached so that we could have a team GB and they could keep their own FA's/national teams. FIFA promised they wouldn't mess about with things. Scotland/Wales/N Ireland still refused because they didn't believe FIFA (can't blame them). In the end the Olympic guys and the English FA have just overuled the other countries and done it anyway.

At one stage team GB was going to be an all English squad, it's good this has happened.

I think players have to be under 21 or 23 or something with 2 or 3 players over age.

If the players want to play the FA's can't do anything. FIFA and the Olympic guys outrank them i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:15 pm 

Tresidentevil wrote:
Scotland, N Ireland and Wales are only allowed their own FA's because they have separate national teams to England. Historically we never enter a football team GB because it would mean FIFA and the Olympic commission would stop allowing those nations to have their own leagues/FA's (and hence their own money), since they would be showing they lack national identity (or something).

An agreement was reached so that we could have a team GB and they could keep their own FA's/national teams. FIFA promised they wouldn't mess about with things. Scotland/Wales/N Ireland still refused because they didn't believe FIFA (can't blame them). In the end the Olympic guys and the English FA have just overuled the other countries and done it anyway.

At one stage team GB was going to be an all English squad, it's good this has happened.

I think players have to be under 21 or 23 or something with 2 or 3 players over age.

Thats us Fucked straight away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:39 pm 

It's under 23s so young England team with prolly Bale and Ramsey, and the over 23s would prolly be one each from Scotland and NI and Beckham wants in aswel.

Hart
Richards-Smalling-Caldwell-Gibbs
Beckham-Ramsey-Wilshere-Bale
Healy-Walcott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:33 am 

Welsh and Scottish FA both crying about keeping their own identity, Swansea and Cardiff both play in our league and the old firm have wanted in for god knows how long, If you want your own identity take your teams and keep them in your shitty little leagues then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:37 pm 

The irony is that if Swansea and Cardiff played in the Welsh leagues they'd probally get the Welsh Champions League spot. lol. Then again they'd also be shit and have no fans/money.