Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:18 pm 

aye, but i thought part of the idea was to embroider the shirts and then auction them off.

fifa are c nts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:05 pm 

Shi rts with black sleeves with 10 poppies on each arm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:50 pm 

Ive not said anything about this..the man i ever respected the most was my grandad, and he died new years eve just gone.
Royal artillery, and a ww2 vet..
The british legion asked if they could come to his funeral and when the curtains closed, they would lower the standard....

Now thats respect...

I have nothing but utter loathing for blatter and fifa, for their utter disrespect of the poppy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 pm 

And for a bit of contrast to that last post, here's an article that sums up my feelings on the matter pretty well

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/09/football-fiver-poppies-england-spain-zlatan-ibrahimovic

Quote:
LEST WE FORGET THOSE WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES SO THAT FUTURE GENERATIONS MIGHT SQUABBLE CHILDISHLY OVER HOW BEST TO REMEMBER THEM

The Fiver can think of no better way of remembering Great Britain's war dead than sending England's footballers out to play their Spanish counterparts at Wembley. If anything is likely to remind us of the fallen, it's the sight of wave after wave of young Englishmen being picked off by Johnny Foreigner, having launched one ill-advised over-the-top attack too many in a series of depressingly futile attempts to get behind enemy lines.

But for some, a commemorative re-enactment of various historical slaughters soundtracked by idiots singing about Twelve German bombers is not enough, so the FA, assorted fans and media outlets have decided to mark the sacrifice made by millions sent needlessly to their deaths over the past century by relentlessly squabbling over a football team's right to wear shirts decorated with commemorative poppies during a match against Spain. Not before or after a football match against Spain, but during it, when ... let's face it, England's players will have far more pressing concerns than the absence of an embroidered flower from their sweat-drenched kit.

Anyone lucky enough to have been tripping on acid for the past 48 hours may be unaware that the mother of all stinks has been kicked up over a Fifa rule that forbids England's players from wearing poppies on the grounds that it is a political symbol that could jeopardise "the neutrality of football". Despite having been in place for a long time, it is a rule that has singularly failed to perturb the FA in nine previous Novembers of yore; Novembers, coincidentally, when English football's governing body didn't feel the need to generate spurious controversies because of sour grapes over failed World Cup bids, or to deflect media attention away from a national team captain who'd become embroiled in an embarrassing race row.

In order to confirm that the wearing of poppies could never be construed as a political act, Great Britain's prime minister, David Cameron, who is a politician, got involved this morning, going so far as to condemn the ban as "outrageous", but not so far as to declare it a great excuse for him to avoid tricky questions about an embarrassing controversy involving his home secretary telling fibs about her role in a scandal undermining national security. Cameron then declared his intention to write an angry letter to Fifa, demanding that England's footballers be allowed to show their respect for all those who have lost their lives in conflict in places like Afghanistan by sporting a symbol of the Islamic republic's lucrative heroin export trade. Whether or not he did this before or after the carefully orchestrated photo op in which he was spotted having a poppy pinned to his lapel by some young people remains unclear.

Ironically enough, one of very few voices of reason to have been heard over the unseemly din of the increasingly bonkers poppy-cock of the past couple of days has been that of Chris Simpkins, director general of the Royal British Legion, the charity which benefits financially from funds raised by the sale of the lapel decorations. "The FA has helped us explore every alternative available and we are satisfied that England will enter the competition knowing they have shown proper respect for our armed forces," he said, apparently satisfied with the planned pre-match Fifa approved minute's silence, during which England's players will wear Fifa-approved training tops featuring poppies.

For hysterical Little Englanders who consider such perfectly adequate marks of respect tantamount to peeing on the Cenotaph, the FA has helpfully issuing a list of other ways Remembrance Day will be marked during England's friendly against Spain, including a commemorative poppy wreath being brought out on the pitch before kick-off, poppies being sold inside Wembley, a giant poppy-shaped blimp being flown in the air above the stadium and all supporters being obliged to change their name to 'Poppy' by deed poll in order to gain access to the ground.

At the time of writing, two bozos from the English Defence League, an organisation not renowned for it's tight grasp on the concept of irony, had muscled in on the farce by clambering up on the roof of Fifa HQ in Zurich to selflessly protest on behalf of those left with no voice as a result of being too dead from fighting against the kind of people who espouse similar views to supporters of the English Defence League. Remembrance of the war dead doesn't get more dignified - well done football, well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 am 

stereotypical grauniad is stereotypical.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:55 pm 

It makes a point though. Why is it only this year the FA have decided to buck the trend? It's only recently that it has apparently been decided that poppies are going to be shoved down everyone's throats and they have been politicised, which I resent, because I've always seen them as a dignified symbol of personal quiet reflection and respect. My Grandad is a WW2 veteran as well but I don't think he's too fussed about whether or not some football players (who are about as far as it is possible to get from servicemen and women) are wearing them while they run about for 90 minutes and I'm really honestly mystified as to why some people are acting like it's a heinous crime that they weren't going to be allowed to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 pm 

It probally wasn't really picked up by the media in previous years. Hence not a major issue in the FA's eyes.

Depends what other news is kicking off at the same time I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:04 pm 

Has England ever played so close to Rememberance Sunday before??? I guess they might have, i think if this was an away game then i don't really think a fuss would have been made so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:45 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Has England ever played so close to Rememberance Sunday before??? I guess they might have, i think if this was an away game then i don't really think a fuss would have been made so much.

three times in past 10 years i think.

thing is, we have a lot more servicemen in need of charity at the moment, what with bombing the shit out of poor brown people for 10 years. poppies aren't just for the vets of the "good" wars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 pm 

So blatter has put his foot in it again, not really been up to date with whats been happening after a heavy night but what i understand is that he has said that there is No Racism in Football. Open yer eyes Chief. Suarez/Evra, Anton/Terry and Chelseas own fans and Sturridge.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said football does not have a problem with racism, and believes any incidents should be settled by a handshake.

The Football Association is currently investigating Chelsea's John Terry, and has charged Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, over alleged racist remarks.

"There is no racism, but maybe there is a word or gesture which is not the correct one," he told CNN World Sport.

"The one affected by this should say this is a game and shake hands."

The 75-year-old's comments provoked immediate reaction, with England and Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand tweeting: "Tell me I have just read Sepp Blatter's comments on racism in football wrong....if not then I am astonished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:55 pm 

suarez charged as well.

and taylor calling for blatter to resign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:59 pm 

normally i'd disagree with mark bright on virtually everything as he makes a living out of platitudes.

however, he was bang on this morning. should blatter go? well, duh. will he? nope. the onyl thing that talks to fifa is money. if all the major sponsors threaten to pull theplug, then fifa will move like fucking lightning. until then, same old same old

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:44 pm 

fifa's response:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/president/news/newsid=1544067/index.html

to literally include a picture of sepp blatter hugging a black man to prove NOT RACIST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:50 pm 

It's totally beyond a fucking joke, to be honest. How can such a deluded, out of touch and incompetent fat old twat be allowed to spout his uninformed bollocks for so long and still be the head of FIFA? When I hear FIFA I don't even think about football anymore, I think about computer games, rampant corruption and that ridiculous prick. Only way he'll fuck off is if the sponsors start kicking up a fuss, which they really should because no-one wants to be associated with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:23 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
It's totally beyond a fucking joke, to be honest. How can such a deluded, out of touch and incompetent fat old twat be allowed to spout his uninformed bollocks for so long and still be the head of FIFA? When I hear FIFA I don't even think about football anymore, I think about computer games, rampant corruption and that ridiculous prick. Only way he'll fuck off is if the sponsors start kicking up a fuss, which they really should because no-one wants to be associated with that.

Good rant.:approve:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:36 pm 

It isn't just Blater. It's the entire organisation. Corrupt is an understatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:57 pm 

emirates have apparently kicked up a fuss already

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:05 pm 

[quote="BiscuitBlueCheese"]It's totally beyond a fucking joke, to be honest. How can such a deluded, out of touch and incompetent fat old twat be allowed to spout his uninformed bollocks for so long

How dare you talk about me like that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:09 pm 

I'm still staggered by the thought processes that went into putting that article up with a picture of Blatter hugging a black man like it means a single fucking thing. It's embarrassingly cringeworthy shit and exactly the same mindset that makes idiots say they can't be racist because they have a black/asian friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:45 pm 

I believe it is called PR and damage limitation thereby proving that the rest of the right thinking world is wrong and has misunderstood the whole affair

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next