Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:13 am 

Quote:
Rooney the lone Englishman in battle with Messi and co for coveted FIFA gong
By CHRISTOPHER DAVIES
Last updated at 10:25 AM on 25th October 2011

Comments (7)
Add to My Stories
Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman on the provisional list for the FIFA Balon D’or award.
While world football’s governing body will not officially release the list until November 1, the Manchester United striker is the lone Englishman according to Spanish daily Mundo Deportivo.

Lone striker: Manchester United star Wayne Rooney is the only Englishman in contention for FIFA's coveted Balon D'or award
His United team-mate Javier Hernandez is also listed along with Manchester City’s David Silva and Sergio Aguero plus Liverpool’s Luis Suarez.
Inevitably, European champions Barcelona dominate the list with nine candidates: current holder Lionel Messi, Xavi, Andres iniesta, Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol, Cesc Fabregas, David Villa, Dani Alves and Eric Abidal.

Real Madrid have Cristiano Ronaldo, Xabi Alonso, Iker Casillas, Mesut Ozi and Sami Khedira.
The Bayern Munich five of Thomas Mueller, Phillip Lahm, Sebastien Schweinsteiger, Mario Gomez and Franck Ribery, plus ex-Bayern striker Miroslav Klose, now at Lazio, are also there.

Holding on: Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi is hoping to retain the FIFA Balon D'or award his landed last year
Like England, Italy have only one representative in Udinese's talisman Antonio de Natale.
The final three, chosen by national coaches and captains, will be announced on Decemebr 5 with the winner presented with the award at a glitzy gala dinner in Zurich on January 9.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2053166/Wayne-Rooney-lone-England-player-FIFA-Balon-Dor-prize-list.html#ixzz1bmqt10WW

Woo!
*Facepalm*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:01 am 

suarez shouldn't be anywhere near that award list. rooney is debateable as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm 

He's a horrible human being tbf, both are in fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pm 

fifa are twats.

Fifa stands by England shirt poppy ban but allows remembrance silence• Fifa 'acknowledges significance' of honouring armistice
• England forbidden from wearing poppies against Spain

Tweet this

reddit this Jamie Jackson guardian.co.uk, Saturday 5 November 2011 23.01 GMT Article history
Poppies on England shirts are outlawed under Fifa's rules forbidding 'political, religious or commercial messages'. Photograph: John Sibley/Action Images
England will be allowed to hold a minute's silence on the eve of Remembrance Sunday before the start of their friendly against Spain on Saturday after Fifa – who have banned England from wearing poppies on their shirts – approved an appeal from the Football Association.

World football's governing body said in a statement: "Fifa fully acknowledges the significance of the poppy appeal and the ways in which it helps commemorate Remembrance Day."

But on wearing poppies on shirts, they said: "Players' equipment are that they should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages. The same regulations are applied globally, and uniformly, in the event of similar requests by other nations to commemorate historical events."

The FA are still talking to Fifa and have not ruled out being allowed to wear the Armistice Day emblem. An FA spokesperson said: "We are still in dialogue with Fifa and have not completely [written off] the possibility of poppies being allowed on the kit on Saturday. Their training kit will carry the emblems and this will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to the armed forces."

The Poppy Appeal, which is in its 90th year, is run by the Royal British Legion. A spokesman for the charity said: "We appreciate that showing support is not always possible under some regulations and we would never seek to impose ourselves in these situations."

also -

Fifa news: total transparency
The top two Fifa deals since Sepp launched his "Good Governance Road Map" for "total transparency" last month:

1) Control of Asian World Cup TV rights sold to Swiss firm Infront – run by Sepp's nephew Philippe. Fifa: "Infront offered the best package for this very complex project."

2) Hospitality rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups sold to Swiss firm Match Hospitality, part-owned by Infront. Match emerged as "the most suitable candidate … following an industry evaluation by Fifa".

Also last week
• General secretary Jérôme Valcke warns Brazil's politicians to stop their "sad and perplexing" attacks on Fifa's commercial and tax demands. "Brazil will not defeat Fifa. Either we work together or no one wins." (Senator Randolfe Rodrigues: "This is absurd blackmail from an entity shrouded in suspicion.")

• Emirates says it is "disappointed" by Fifa's recent corruption record, which has gone "beyond an internal problem" since the airline signed up as a sponsor in 2006. (Other Fifa headlines in 2006: Jack Warner reselling marked-up World Cup tickets; four Fifa execs sacked for "lying repeatedly" to sponsors; Plus Sepp pledging a "new-look ethics committee" to handle bribery claims, bringing "more transparency" to Fifa.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:33 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
fifa are twats.

also -

Fifa news: total transparency
The top two Fifa deals since Sepp launched his "Good Governance Road Map" for "total transparency" last month:

1) Control of Asian World Cup TV rights sold to Swiss firm Infront – run by Sepp's nephew Philippe. Fifa: "Infront offered the best package for this very complex project."

2) Hospitality rights for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups sold to Swiss firm Match Hospitality, part-owned by Infront. Match emerged as "the most suitable candidate … following an industry evaluation by Fifa".

Also last week
• General secretary Jérôme Valcke warns Brazil's politicians to stop their "sad and perplexing" attacks on Fifa's commercial and tax demands. "Brazil will not defeat Fifa. Either we work together or no one wins." (Senator Randolfe Rodrigues: "This is absurd blackmail from an entity shrouded in suspicion.")

• Emirates says it is "disappointed" by Fifa's recent corruption record, which has gone "beyond an internal problem" since the airline signed up as a sponsor in 2006. (Other Fifa headlines in 2006: Jack Warner reselling marked-up World Cup tickets; four Fifa execs sacked for "lying repeatedly" to sponsors; Plus Sepp pledging a "new-look ethics committee" to handle bribery claims, bringing "more transparency" to Fifa.)

If true, its an outrage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:44 pm 

grauniad said & done, usually true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:42 pm 

fifa are twats.

Agreed.

"Fifa fully acknowledges the significance of the poppy appeal and the ways in which it helps commemorate Remembrance Day."

Actually, no you clearly don't FIFA. You think it's a comercial, political or religious message. It isn't any of those. Theres nothing political about it.

"Players' equipment are that they should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages."

But it's fine for FIFA to sell comercial TV rights and recieve hundreds of millions in revenue and accept bribes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:01 pm 

See the Daily Mail reckon it's in case we play Germany around Rememberance Sunday in the future. If that's the case, simply don't arrange that ficture; it isn't like any major tournaments are played in November

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:26 pm 

which is probably balls tbh, on both the fifa and mail's part

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:28 pm 

Just leave FIFA. If everybody did they wouldn't exist and we could set up something else. It wouldn't even take that. If Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, The Netherlands, Uruguay, England, Italy and France all quit FIFA would lose all their prestige as an organisation. Even if 3 or 4 of those left it would shock them into changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 pm 

playing hardball i see. however, i fail to see a mark of remembrance such as the poppy is either religious or political.

Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies• Referee ordered to abandon Spain game if emblem is on show
• Sports minister had written to Fifa appealing decision

Tweet this

reddit this Jamie Jackson guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 8 November 2011 17.47 GMT Article history
The sports minister, Hugh Robertson, argued in his letter to Fifa that poppies are neither a religious nor a political symbol. Photograph: Rebecca Naden/PA
England will not be able to defy Fifa's ban on wearing poppies on their shirts for Saturday's friendly against Spain at Wembley, as the referee is under orders from the governing body to call off the match if the emblems are present on their kit.

Fifa has turned down two requests from the FA to wear poppies, despite government support from the sports minister, Hugh Robertson, saying that allowing them to do so would "jeopardise the neutrality of football". Football's world governing body decrees that shirts should not carry political or religious messages.

Yet the FA is prepared to go as far as it can to mark Remembrance Day with measures that include poppies on the kit players will wear during the national anthem and black armbands during the match, a poppy possibly being on permanent display on the Wembley scoreboard, and a wreath being laid by the match mascots, as well as a minute's silence before kick-off.

In its rejection letter Fifa said: "We regret to inform you that accepting such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football. Therefore, we confirm herewith that the suggested embroidery on the match shirt cannot be authorised.

"There are a variety of options where the FA can continue supporting the cause of Remembrance. One of them already was approved by Fifa, the period of silence."

Fifa's stance was met with widespread disapproval, with the England midfielder Jack Wilshere tweeting: "My Great Granddad fought for this country in WW2 and I'm sure a lot of peoples grandparents did so #WearThePoppy." Earlier the Arsenal midfielder wrote: "England team should wear poppies on saturday. Its the nations tradition and it would be disrespectful not to."

Rio Ferdinand, whose brother Anton is at the centre of a racism investigation involving the England captain, John Terry, also wrote on Twitter: "Powers that be do make stands on certain issues I see," before adding the hashtags #selective #onlysaying.

Speaking just before Fifa's final response became public, Robertson had suggested he would back the FA and FAW – Wales also play a friendly on Saturday, against Norway – if they chose to put poppies on their shirts even if his plea proved unsuccessful.

"Once we have a decision from them, clearly we can plan what to do next," said Robertson. "That will primarily be a matter for the FA, if they wish to take this further they will have my full support. I can't understand Fifa's position at all."

The sports minister's letter pointed out that while England wanted to respect the rules "the British public feel very strongly about this issue which is seen as an act of national remembrance to commemorate those who gave their lives in the service of their country. It is not religious or political in any way. Wearing a poppy is a display of national pride, just like wearing your country's football shirt."

Jim Boyce, the Fifa vice-president who is Northern Irish, also supported the move. He said: "Personally I think there has to be a bit of common sense used when requests like this come in. Armistice Day is a very important day in the FA calendar, as it is with other associations, and I don't think it would offend anybody to have a poppy on the shirts.

"I am not involved in the decision and I do understand there have to be rules. But as this is a special request from a member of Fifa and is not of a political nature I believe that common sense should prevail and that it should be looked at in a different light."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:21 pm 

Been racking my head for a way round this, how about selling poppies outside for 50 p or having a poppy on every seat with the FA giving some money to the Royal British legion.Or, how about the crowd holding up pieces of paper or something and recreating a poppy on all sides of the ground, bit like we did that time to recreate a blue moon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 pm 

Just have poppies on the shirt and keep it secret then walk out with them on and fuck FIFA. Then see them stop the match in front of all those angry England fans :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm 

Tresidentevil wrote:
Just have poppies on the shirt and keep it secret then walk out with them on and fuck FIFA. Then see them stop the match in front of all those angry England fans :D

the ref is under instructions to do just that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 pm 

Cant remember if its home or away. If away my idea is potentially shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:54 pm 

Tresidentevil wrote:

That is why the FA will eventually cave in to Fifa's demand.The FA should cancel it now and refund the tickets. It is a friendly not a competitive match so Fifa cannot complain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm 

I don't think it's a political symbol per se but I can understand the reservations about setting a precedent, and there's plenty of other ways we can remember the dead without having a messy argument with FIFA over whether or not the players themselves will actually wear the poppies during the match. It's undignified and goes against the whole idea of poppies as a personal demonstration of quiet respect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:03 pm 

I like wearing a poppy but I wouldn't like it if it was seen as mandatory and shoved down peoples throats and people were judged for not wearing one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:26 pm 

Prince William demands Fifa U-turn on poppy ban

Prince William has written to Fifa demanding it lifts the ban on England shirts being embroidered with poppies.

Fifa decrees that shirts should not carry political, religious or commercial messages.

But the Duke of Cambridge is "dismayed" by Fifa's stance in this case for Saturday's match against Spain.

Clarence House said: "The Duke's strong view is the poppy is a universal symbol of remembrance, which has no political, religious or commercial connotations."

In the letter Prince William, the president of the FA, demands Fifa makes "an exception in this special circumstance". The full contents of letter are being kept private.

Earlier on Wednesday, Prime Minister David Cameron said he would write to Fifa asking it to lift the ban ahead of England's game with the world champions.

On Tuesday, football's governing body rejected a second Football Association (FA) request to overturn the ban.

"It seems outrageous," said Mr Cameron. "I hope Fifa will reconsider."

As an alternative, the FA said England players will wear black armbands during the game and lay a wreath on the pitch during the national anthems.

Mr Cameron added: "The idea that wearing a poppy to remember those who have given their lives for our freedom is a political act is absurd.

"Wearing a poppy is an act of huge respect and national pride."

"Such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football," it said.

Fifa has allowed a period of silence to be held prior to the game against Spain, which takes place the day before Remembrance Sunday.

During Prime Minister's Questions in the House of Commons, Mr Cameron said a clear message needed to be sent to Fifa from the government.

Asked about the matter, he replied: "I think [the questioner] not only speaks for the whole House, but in fact the whole country, [in] being completely baffled and frankly angry [at] the decision made by Fifa.

"If teams want to be able to put the poppy on their shirt, as many teams in our football league do, they should be able to at the national level, whether it is the English team or whether it is the Welsh team.

"I think this is an appalling decision and I hope they'll reconsider it."

England will wear poppies on their training kit and will stand for a two-minute silence during practice on Friday. The players will also wear poppy-embossed jackets during the national anthems on Saturday.

The Royal British Legion has backed the FA's efforts to mark Remembrance Sunday.

"There are other ways to honour the poppy than by wearing it on a shirt," said its director general Chris Simpkins.

"We are satisfied that England will enter the competition knowing they have shown proper respect for our Armed Forces."

Wales, who play Norway in Cardiff on Saturday, are set to wear a poppy on their training shirts for the warm-up and tracksuits for the national anthem, with the words "Cymru'n Cofio" ("Wales remembers") underneath the poppy.

The Football Association of Wales supported the FA's request to Fifa for permission to wear a poppy on their kit.

Scotland, who face Cyprus in a friendly on Friday, will also wear poppy-emblazoned training tops.
DID YOU KNOW?
Continue reading the main story

No poppies were worn when England played Brazil on 14 November 2009

England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce insisted that Fifa's ruling would not detract from the England squad's observance of the occasion.

"Whether I understand it or not, you ask the question, they give a decision and you get on with it. That is the nature of it. But whether or not you have anything emblazoned on your shirt, it is what is in your heart that matters," said Pearce.

"We would have liked to have done it as an organisation and a country, but the powers that be say they don't want us to.

"That is the end of it, but it will not diminish what is in my heart and the respect for those who have given their lives for this country."

Former England captain Alan Shearer condemned the decision.

"I think it's terrible, I really do. I think they should let it go ahead and I don't understand their decision at all," he said.

"Everybody seems to agree it is wrong but I don't think Fifa will change their mind.

"I don't think relationships between the FA and Fifa are great so I'd be surprised if they were to change their minds now, but I just think it is a terrible decision."

Former FA chief executive David Davies told BBC Radio 5 live that the policy was necessary but needed tweaking.

"Around the world, if you didn't have this rule, people would use it for political or religious or for personal slogans," he said.

The British public feel very strongly about this issue - it is not religious or political in any way

Hugh Robertson Minister for Sport and the Olympics

"One of the first countries screaming out in protest would be our home nations. [But] things have changed. People do respect it [the poppy].

"After the game the FA must campaign, perhaps with the Germans, against this far too draconian and ill-thought-through policy."

On Tuesday, Sports Minister Hugh Robertson wrote to Fifa seeking permission for the England and Wales teams to wear poppies.

He commented: "Wearing a poppy is a display of national pride, just like wearing your country's football shirt.

"The British public feel very strongly about this issue - it is not religious or political in any way."

British Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce added: "I think there has to be a bit of common sense used when requests like this come in.

England team should wear poppies on Saturday. It's the nation's tradition and it would be disrespectful not to

Jack Wilshere

"Armistice Day is a very important day in the FA calendar, as it is with other associations, and I don't think it would offend anybody to have a poppy on the shirts."

Injured England midfielder Jack Wilshere tweeted: "My great-grandad fought for this country in WW2 and I'm sure a lot of people's grandparents did.

"England team should wear poppies on Saturday. It's the nation's tradition and it would be disrespectful not to."

England did not wear poppies for games close to Remembrance Day against Argentina on 12 November, 2005 and Sweden on 10 November, 2001.

But an FA spokesman said "a greater focus has been given to the level of support and respect shown by the national teams" over the past five years.

He said: "Since 2005, our clubs have all begun to wear poppies on their match shirts in domestic games for the early part of November as a mark of respect for those who lost their lives serving their country.

"The FA and England team have built very strong relationships with Tickets4Troops, Help for Heroes and the Royal British Legion over the past five years.

"As part of this growing commitment, we wanted to show our respect and support this weekend by wearing the poppy and our players are very passionate and vocal about this."

On Wednesday, Fifa confirmed to the BBC that two protestors from the English Defence League were on the roof of their headquarters in Zurich to protest Fifa's refusal to lift the ban.

England and Wales' rugby league players will be wearing poppies this weekend, along with the other two teams - Australia and New Zealand - involved in the Four Nations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:00 pm 

England will wear poppies
Agreement reached between FA and FIFA

England will wear poppies on their black armbands during Saturday's friendly international with Spain after the Football Association reached an agreement with FIFA.

Fabio Capello's side had wanted to wear the remembrance symbol embroidered on their shirts for the Wembley clash with the World and European champions this weekend.

But officials from FIFA had blocked their request as they do not allow political or religious statements on match shirts and told the FA that it could "open the door to similar initiatives" across the world.

That stance led to widespread condemnation with Prime Minister David Cameron and Prince William, in his role as president of the FA, both contacting FIFA to voice their concern.

However, following further consultation between the FA and world football's governing body, an agreement has now been reached which has been accepted by all parties.
Visible

A statement from the FA read: "The FA can confirm that FIFA has today agreed that the England team will now be permitted to wear a poppy on the black armbands the players will wear during Saturday's match with Spain.

"While continuing to adhere to the Laws of the Game, wearing the poppy on the armband does ensure the poppy will be visible throughout the game.

"The FA welcomes FIFA's decision and thanks them for agreeing to this.

"Earlier today, The FA announced extensive additional plans as to how they will support Royal British Legion in the wearing of the poppy."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next