Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am 

so.... can he not be done for discriminatory comments?

Fifa boss Sepp Blatter sparks Qatar gay controversy

Qatar's Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani accepts the World Cup trophy

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says gay fans travelling to the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should "refrain from any sexual activities".

Gay rights groups have criticised the decision to award the tournament to a country where homosexuality is illegal.

But Blatter, apparently joking, said: "I would say they [gay fans] should refrain from any sexual activities."

On a more serious note, Blatter added: "I'm sure when the World Cup will be in Qatar there will be no problems."

However, former NBA star John Amaechi, who revealed that he was gay in 2007, was highly critical of Blatter's comments.

The Islamic country of Qatar was the surprise winner of the race to host the 2022 World Cup, beating Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States when the 22-man Fifa executive committee voted in their favour in Zurich on 2 December.

If sport can not serve to change society, even temporarily during the duration of an event like the World Cup that invites the world to participate, then it is little more than grown men chasing a ball

Former NBA star John Amaechi
Fifa has since come in for criticism after the decision to take the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.

Concerns were raised about hosting the tournament during the summer months in a country where temperatures can reach 40C to 50C while current laws mean drinking alcohol in public is forbidden.

Gay groups are also worried about the acceptance of homosexual fans, with the Gay Football Supporter's Network saying at the time of Fifa's decision: "We strongly condemn Fifa's decision and will be leading a LGBT [Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender] boycott of all activities associated with World Cup 2022.

"We do not feel the World Cup should be held in any country that abuses and disregards the basic human rights of LGBT people."

But Blatter does not foresee any difficulties, saying: "You see in the Middle East the opening of this culture, it's another culture because it's another religion, but in football we have no boundaries.

"We open everything to everybody and I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings be it on this side or that side, be it left, right or whatever.

"If they want to watch a match somewhere in Qatar 2022, I'm sure they will be admitted to such matches."

Blatter says even if there are problems, there is still plenty of time to sort out any issues.

"I think there is too much concern for a competition that will be done only in 12 years," he added.

"But this gives me the opportunity to say that in Fifa, and this is in the statutes of Fifa, whether it is in politics, whether it is in religion, we don't want racism, and we know what this means, and neither do we want discrimination.

"What we want is just to open this game to everybody and open it to all cultures and this is what we are doing in 2022."

Amaechi was the first NBA star to reveal that he was gay
But Amaechi did not see the funny side of Blatter's "refrain from any sexual activities" comments, telling his official website: "The statements and the position adopted by Sepp Blatter and Fifa regarding LGBT fans who would pay the enormous ticket and travel prices to attend the World Cup in 2022 should have been wholly unacceptable a decade ago.

"Instead, with little more than an afterthought Fifa has endorsed the marginalisation of LGBT people around the world.

"Anything less than a full reversal of his position is unacceptable and if the FA and football and sporting associations around the world fail to acknowledge this insult, they too will be complicit.

"If sport cannot serve to change society, even temporarily during the duration of an event like the World Cup that invites the world to participate, then it is little more than grown men chasing a ball and we should treat it as such."

Blatter, who was visiting South Africa - the hosts of the 2010 tournament, insisted money had no part in taking the competition to new parts of the world.

Russia won the right to host the 2018 competition.

"This is development of football and don't speak about money," said Blatter.

"This has nothing to do with money as it had nothing to [do with it] with Africa.

"It is the development of the game. We have to take to places where it can improve and have a social and cultural impact. And it's what we did here in Africa."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:30 am 

Septic Bladder wants putting down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:36 am 

He's a twat. He should be kicked out of office.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:46 am 

He is a c*nt but I had to laugh at one of the headlines, "Blatter Causes Gay Furore".

I'd love to be involved in a Gay Furore. It just sounds so.....gay.

Anybody up for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:51 am 

every day at man city forum is Gay Furore day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 am 

Particularly gay in my office this morning. One of the production staff was kneeling down on the floor exposing half his backside, I say "put your arse away Matt", he replies; "What. That's a working man's bum".

Beat that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:16 am 

Hark at the thought police:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:19 am 

His idea to get chicks to wear skimpy clothes when playing football was a good one.

You have to give credit when its due.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:22 am 

blatter is a homophobic, sexist mysoginistic twat

i like him

;)

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:25 am 

Timpblue wrote:
blatter is a homophobic, sexist mysoginistic twat

i like him

;)

and a crook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:26 am 

I'm not sure it was homophobic.
Someone asked him what gays were to do cos gay sex is banned, he said don't have sex, seems perfectly logical to me.
Aren't we supposed to honour the customs of countries we visit?
You aren't allowed to drink either, this would bother me far more than not being able to bone the missus for a week or two:whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:28 am 

We all know that the World Cup shouldn't even be held there. You might as well give the World Cup to fuckin Bury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:40 am 

Unless we can all go to a World Cup and do lots of public bumming without fear of prosecution I for one am not interested.

It's what the World Cup is all about ffs.

They're ruining the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:46 am 

EalingBlue wrote:
Someone asked him what gays were to do cos gay sex is banned, he said don't have sex, seems perfectly logical to me.
You aren't allowed to drink either, this would bother me far more than not being able to bone the missus for a week or two:whistle:

His comments wasn't homophobic in itself but it was a stupid thing to say and was obviously going to rile activists. In reality, I'd imagine there will be a very real possibility of homosexuality being legalised in Qatar by then, or at least the laws will be relaxed on a temporary basis. Qatar is starting to try and put itself across as an alternative to London for international litigation (yawn) and so a decent Human Rights/anti-discrimination policy is likely to advance its goals in that department anyway. I'd imagine they'll probably end up with some sort of rule prohibiting public displays of affection but allowing it in private, but then they're hardly pro-PDofA with heterosexual relationships anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
His comments wasn't homophobic in itself but it was a stupid thing to say and was obviously going to rile activists. In reality, I'd imagine there will be a very real possibility of homosexuality being legalised in Qatar by then, or at least the laws will be relaxed on a temporary basis. Qatar is starting to try and put itself across as an alternative to London for international litigation (yawn) and so a decent Human Rights/anti-discrimination policy is likely to advance its goals in that department anyway. I'd imagine they'll probably end up with some sort of rule prohibiting public displays of affection but allowing it in private, but then they're hardly pro-PDofA with heterosexual relationships anyway.

Exactly.
Homo activists get riled by everything, they need to justify their existence. They haven't got much to do since the sodomising of 16 year olds was legalised:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:17 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
You aren't allowed to drink either
, this would bother me far more than not being able to bone the missus for a week or two:whistle:

Drinking laws will be relaxed for the WC. Bud are a sponsor and they will be allowed to sell beer in fan zones.

Perhaps George Michael should be a sponsor as well. His fan zone could be the nearest public toilet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:30 pm 

I'd like to see George Michael have much closer ties with the football community. Maybe this is something Blatter could concentrate his efforts on to bring us fans back on side?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:50 pm 

considering the efforts made for gay footballers to come out of the closet, to have the head of fifa make such comments is a bit ratarted. but then again, homophobic or racist chanting or comments from chairmen and managers usually incur smaller fines than players having slogans on tshirts under their kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:57 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
considering the efforts made for gay footballers to come out of the closet, to have the head of fifa make such comments is a bit ratarted. but then again, homophobic or racist chanting or comments from chairmen and managers usually incur smaller fines than players having slogans on tshirts under their kits.

I bet they love it in the closet anyway, groping each other in the dark like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:03 pm 

Bastard wrote:
I'd like to see George Michael have much closer ties with the football community. Maybe this is something Blatter could concentrate his efforts on to bring us fans back on side?

Totally agree. If he dressed up all like off of that Faith video though, he'd be a positive masculine role model for straights and gays alike. Not sure about all them screaming Mary woofters though. Sepp should tell them ones to stay at home. Same goes for Russia 2018 imo.