Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: England euro 2012.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:39 am 

Just laughing at the shit the journos are putting out at the moment.
Do they think the vast majority cant see what really happened in this tournament?
To put any positive spin on it is embarrassing.
But at least those who can be bothered replying to the likes of the Sun and the Mirror are letting the journos know that we arent fooled.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:00 am 

balky wrote:
Everyone could see that the Yooited Diver would miss that Penalty! What a piss Young is, but Rooney was awful, even more disgusting.

England deserved this, i mean wtf are you thinking to win something with a half Liverpool Squad? it s a wonder the team got to the groupstage, must be coz France were shite too.

This happends when you leave Micah and Johnson out, noone Yooited Player deserved to play the Euro, especially not Shrek who played better in Las Vegas than on the Euros.

Pirlo was brilliant, De Rossi was good and Balotelli had a brilliant hold-up but should score twice.

In that system, Micah would have been no improvement on Johnson (who, Sweden aside, had a solid defensive tournament). Johnson wasn't playing often enough towards the end of the season but perhaps warranted a place ahead of Downing or Oxlade-Chamberlain. It would be foolish to suggest his presence would have had much of an impact for the tournament though. Putting Micah or Johnson (or Carrick - who also has a right to feel aggrieved in my view) would have had little influence. England beat the teams you'd expect them to beat and were found wanting against the teams you'd expect them to struggle against. The whole tournament was just a bit 'meh' that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:24 am 

DarloBlue wrote:
balky wrote:
Everyone could see that the Yooited Diver would miss that Penalty! What a piss Young is, but Rooney was awful, even more disgusting.

England deserved this, i mean wtf are you thinking to win something with a half Liverpool Squad? it s a wonder the team got to the groupstage, must be coz France were shite too.

This happends when you leave Micah and Johnson out, noone Yooited Player deserved to play the Euro, especially not Shrek who played better in Las Vegas than on the Euros.

Pirlo was brilliant, De Rossi was good and Balotelli had a brilliant hold-up but should score twice.

In that system, Micah would have been no improvement on Johnson (who, Sweden aside, had a solid defensive tournament). Johnson wasn't playing often enough towards the end of the season but perhaps warranted a place ahead of Downing or Oxlade-Chamberlain. It would be foolish to suggest his presence would have had much of an impact for the tournament though. Putting Micah or Johnson (or Carrick - who also has a right to feel aggrieved in my view) would have had little influence. England beat the teams you'd expect them to beat and were found wanting against the teams you'd expect them to struggle against. The whole tournament was just a bit 'meh' that way.

That may be true. However, the truth is they were very luck in the group. They could have so easily lost all 3 games. In all 3 games they saw much less than 50% of the ball. You can't expect to get away with that all the time and as finally shown by Italy, they were wanting as a team. They were lucky to be 0-0 after 120 minutes.
It was negative tactics, no possession, no ideas all the way through in all 4 games played.
Ukraine and Swden felt aggrieved, and to a greater extent, rightly so. They outplayed England. Just didnt get the lucky breaks that England had.
I am worried that certain players are selected and played purely on account of the teams they play for.

I think the teams in the group for World Cup qualifying will be thinking that they have a good chance against England based on these 4 games. Ukraine and Poland can definitely get results. It's going to be ugly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:32 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
Rooney does not deserve to escpae criticism. He looks out of shape, couldnt get into either game really that he appeared in.
looks like he just thinks he needs to turn up.

but why do we bother with England at all?

For someone who had only featured in one game, he looked the most tired of all of them. You'd have thought he'd have been busting a gut in training through the group stages; getting himself super fit and raring to go. Instead he just looked fooked

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am 

I can't see what all the fuss is about. We had low expectations and we have lived up to them.

Job done.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:02 pm 

DarloBlue wrote:
balky wrote:

a travesty that he took up a seat on the plane. at least oxlade-chamberlain looks a decent player, if very raw.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm 

On the plus, how good was Balotelli last night? He's gonna be shit hot next season I reckon, we need to be keeping hold of the mad lad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:30 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
On the plus, how good was Balotelli last night? He's gonna be shit hot next season I reckon, we need to be keeping hold of the mad lad.

very. lovely technique to bounce the ball up and try for an overhead. noticed a lack of petulance during the tournament as well, barring the bit where his team mate covered his mouth.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm 

ah, sharapova's on centre court. time to turn it up, close my eyes and wank furiously.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:36 pm 

whysoangry?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:22 am 

oh dear, Roy, stop making excuses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18586809

England manager Roy Hodgson insists lack of fitness was not behind Wayne Rooney's poor display in the Euro 2012 quarter-final defeat to Italy in Kiev.

Hodgson insists statistics backed up his claims that Rooney was in good shape - but admitted the weight of expectation on England's most gifted attacking talent may have been too great.

Rooney returned from a two game ban to score England's winner against Ukraine, only to deliver a below par performance in the quarter-final as Italy won 4-2 on penalties after a goalless 120 minutes.

Hodgson said: "We haven't noticed any problems with Wayne's fitness levels. We've monitored it in training and he's looked very fit."
He added: "In the first game against Ukraine he didn't show any particular signs of lacking fitness. He played 120 minutes [against Italy].

"What you might be saying is that you are a bit disappointed with his performance and maybe thought he could have played better."

Rooney was with England at their pre-Euro 2012 training camp in Krakow and travelled to the early group games in Donetsk and Kiev.

Rooney, 26, looked sluggish and out of touch in the game against Italy, but Hodgson defended him, saying: "His running stats in the training sessions and in the game were actually very good.

"Of course we put a lot of expectations on him. When he missed the first two games there was a suggestion we all believed that all we need to do is get to the third game and Wayne Rooney will win us the championship. That was maybe too much to ask of him. He certainly tried very hard.

"He didn't have his best game - I'm sure he will admit that.

"That could be down to a number of factors but I don't think the fitness itself was a particular factor."

Wayne Rooney's Euro 2012

Games: 2
Goals: 1
Time on pitch: 207 mins
Touches: 111
Key passes: 2
Crosses: 4
Shots: 6
Shots on target: 2
He just has a poor attitude and constantly underperforms where England is concerned.
Time for him to be dropped and not picked on his reputation and club.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:25 am 

Been thinking this morning on how much of a overhaul would I Give the England squad ahead of the WC and with qualifiers to play and no doubt some friendlies including the Italy game coming up.

Hart, Butland, Green

Walker, Richards, Cahill, Smalling, Shawcross, Jones, Baines, Gibbs

Walcott, Chamberlain, AJ, Sinclair, Henderson, Mceachran, Spearing, Wilshire

Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll, Someone else

Bloody awful when yer can't think of any young bloody English players coming up, probably missed some out that i thought of this morning though.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:55 am 

My next England 11, total and utter Overhaul.

Hart

Walker Cahill Shawcross Gibbs

Walcott Wilshire Henderson Johnson

Carolll Sturridge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:05 am 

Gallagheresque wrote:
My next England 11, total and utter Overhaul.

Hart

Walker Cahill Shawcross Gibbs

Walcott Wilshire Henderson Johnson

Carolll Sturridge

I'm just going to go all out and say that England then have no future in the world of football with that team (Please feel free to say the same about my suggestion also).
Just don't agree with Caroll too Raw/No skill apart from ariel ability.
Henderson....cant see improving much more.
Gibbs (maybe can improve but no high hopes there for him).
Walcott (too inconsistent-relies on his speed far too often-his finishing is pretty poor).

Walker however is probably going to feature regularly, I used Micah as he would be my preferred option.

My suggestion for the England team for 2014 WC would be:
Hart
Richards Cahill Lescott Cole

Johnson Wilshere Barry Oxlaide-Chamberlane

Sturrige
Welbeck

Also Barry is probably a bit of long shot in there. Who else is there though?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:40 am 

I agree with most of Noel's PA assessment - Henderson? No fucking way. I differ in that you'd have to have Shriek in your team, he's England's best player. He didn't have a great tournament but you have to say a lot of that was down to the midfield behind him not being able to keep the ball.

I reckon England's best team at the moment, if everyone was fit (which I know wasn't an option open to Woy), and with one eye on the future would be;

-------------Hart
Micah--Lescott--Cahill--Cole
---Wiltshire------Barry
-----------Gerrard
Walcott/Ox-C---------Sturridge
------------Rooney

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:59 am 

Well i did say i'd pretty much overhaul it, fed up with the so called old guard now I'd maybe have Baines in a new starting line up, whatever happen to Huddlestone???? Take it injuries took there toll on him.

I'd really try and do a Germany and have fresher faces in, i realise Henderson and the likes are indeed shit now but given first team chances at their respective clubs i'd give them a run in our national side.

I would have called Victor Moses up but he's played for Nigeria.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:28 pm 

I agree we need to shift some of the old guard out, but when you consider Gerrard was the our best player by a mile during the tournament, the thought of putting a clown like Henderson ahead of him is absurd. By 2014 Gerrard will only be the age that Pirlo is now, and look what he did to us.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:40 pm 

Sorry, SEC, but Rooney needs a reality check. he needs leaving out. he has NEVER performed when England has needed him, be it the Euros or World Cup. Injuries, petulance, not many goals, underperforming, out of shape - world class? England cannot keep with a player like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm 

He's the same player than single handedly kept the rags in the title race last season. I hate the fucker but he's probably the only player we've got who would get in another decent national team, other than Hart and maybe Cole. He's got a poor record for his country in tournaments but so did Ronaldo until this year, and Tranny's a year older.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:10 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
I agree with most of Noel's PA assessment - Henderson? No fucking way. I differ in that you'd have to have Shriek in your team, he's England's best player. He didn't have a great tournament but you have to say a lot of that was down to the midfield behind him not being able to keep the ball.

I reckon England's best team at the moment, if everyone was fit (which I know wasn't an option open to Woy), and with one eye on the future would be;

-------------Hart
Micah--Lescott--Cahill--Cole
---Wiltshire------Barry
-----------Gerrard
Walcott/Ox-C---------Sturridge
------------Rooney

Shit yes I forgot about old granny shagger. Throw him in instead of Welbeck/Sturrige. Time will tell which to replace. But if he plays like he did for this tournament then don't even bother.
Also on Gerrard, he was the top performer for England at the Euro's, if he still can produce as well around the time of the WC then by all means but if not then he needs to be replaced.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 763 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39  Next