Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm 

WE ARE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE TRAVELLING TO THE WORLD CUP!!

If you are, or if you know anybody who is, maybe you can help us...

We are organising a 5-a-SIDE FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT taking place in or near Cape Town during the World Cup, to raise money for the Starfish Greathearts Foundation (http://www.starfishcharity.org).

Starfish work to provide a future for children in South Africa who have been orphaned and made vulnerable by the AIDS epidemic - it is a huge problem in that country and they need support in the good work that they do.

The more players and teams we can get to play, the more money we can generate from sponsors! If you are travelling in small numbers, we can help put you together with others to form teams - email us:

info@theworldcupchallenge.com

http://www.theworldcupchallenge.com

Full details of our charity scheme can be found on our website, where we will provide updates such as tournament date and schedule, as soon as they are confirmed...

Please help spread the word by joining our facebook group and inviting your friends:

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=2361831622#!/group.php?gid=366159653720

It is one of the best ways we can reach people who will be travelling to South Africa. We will have local teams but we would LOVE to find international travellers who can form teams to represent their nations!!

note - non-english speakers please do email, specifying your nationality in the subject field - we will do our best to find someone to translate...

We are a couple of guys from Edinburgh, Scotland, and we decided to organise this fundraiser when we ended up with too many World Cup tickets...

We are going on a group holiday to South Africa and all of us applied for tickets, and asked friends to apply on our behalf... we were more successful than we expected and had a problem-- because it is difficult to resell tickets legitimately.

We decided instead that we should give the tickets away to underprivileged children in the local area, kids who would never dream of having the opportunity to witness such a spectacle.

This led to the idea to stage a small tournament to raise money (and we will be running a tournament for local kids at the same time!)... We only started this in February, with very little time to organise the event, and from 10,000km away!

The challenge is on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:09 pm 

tl; dr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:13 pm 

best help you could be to the aids orphans is killing zuma, a man who prescribes vitamin supplements as a cure for aids, and who described in his recent rape trial that he was unconcerned about contracting aids from his victim because he "had a shower".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:31 pm 

so, basically you bought too many tickets, and can't sell them, so you are deciding to simply take a load of disadvantaged kids to south africa, get them to play a 5 a side tournament, and then donate to money to charity, rather than using it to cover your losses from overbuying tickets?

yeah, that looks legitimate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:50 pm 

No, that's not exactly the idea. I am not going to South Africa, I am just helping these 2 guys and the organization to spread the word. I have to say that they didn't buy the tickets and they are not going to sell them, instead of that they are going to give these tickets to unprivileged local kids from South Africa. And the idea is that the tournament is gonna be played for supporters of the different national teams that will go to Cape Town.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 pm 

and how did they get these tickets? how can they give what they don't have?

they are sellign tickets to the wc for fucking peanuts. and in supermarkets because they ahve so many left. fifa have royally fucked everyone in south africa in the process of staging the competition there. no locals are going to benefit to anywhere near the degree that blatter says they will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:06 am 

well, they have the tickets and they are helping this charity to raise money for these kids, some people try to help another with actions altough they are not so big.every little helps.
I'm not going to judge Battler, supermarkets, peanuts or people who is just angry with the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 am 

The World Cup should never have been given to South Africa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 am 

slart wrote:

Racist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am 

EalingBlue wrote:
Racist

White supremacistist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm 

wcchallenge wrote:
well, they have the tickets and they are helping this charity to raise money for these kids, some people try to help another with actions altough they are not so big.every little helps.
I'm not going to judge Battler, supermarkets, peanuts or people who is just angry with the world

well you should.

also, they just have tickets? really?
slart wrote:

nope. but seeing as it has been, it should've been tailored to actually help the country, rather than ticket prices equivalent to the monthly wage, fleecing traders for licensing etc etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:33 pm 

Location: Huddersfield, West Yorkshire (originally from denton mcr)
so what will happen is.....

We turn up, we get mugged and arse raped by the locals and left for dead...

Oh yeah please....count me in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:46 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
well you should.

also, they just have tickets? really?

nope. but seeing as it has been, it should've been tailored to actually help the country, rather than ticket prices equivalent to the monthly wage, fleecing traders for licensing etc etc.

Allegedly there is an allocation for locals that start at £16.
I have no idea what the average tribesman earns per month though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:57 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
Allegedly there is an allocation for locals that start at £16.
I have no idea what the average tribesman earns per month though.

£1 a week or so. it is poverty. a mate was over in south africa, the guy who abortively emigrated, and bought some tickets. apparently they are waaaaaaay outside the price range of your average soweto resident. the guy who is in charge of WC stuff locally is, when there is a power failure, the only property with it's lights on. he has loads of expensive, near silent, generators. fair play to the guy though, he stil lives in the township.

also, he had a conversation with a local, went along the lines of "what do you call a white guy in soweto? a corpse" "really, we have that word in england" "yeah, same word"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:59 pm 

£1 a week or so. it is poverty. a mate was over in south africa, the guy who abortively emigrated, and bought some tickets. apparently they are waaaaaaay outside the price range of your average soweto resident.

also, he had a conversation with a local, went along the lines of "what do you call a white guy in soweto? a corpse" "really, we have that word in england" "yeah, same word"

I had a friend who moved to cape town with her family, they were back within 6 months. And they were South Ifricin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

durban is meant to be relatively civilised. jo burg is only to be visited if you fancy an interesting death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:37 pm 

Hi Everyone!
We have already the official place and date for the tournament!
It will take place the 28th of June in Stellenbosch(near Cape Town)
See ya!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:40 pm 

durban is meant to be relatively civilised. jo burg is only to be visited if you fancy an interesting death.

Getting necklaced would be cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:43 pm 

Your friend sounds like a bit of a tool