Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
 Post subject: Re: Euro 2012
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:37 am 

Frank Blue wrote:
My thoughts from last night's game. Were Spain better? Yes. Did italy deserve that scoreline? No.
Prandelli really made a mess of it using his 3 subs with half an hour to go. That is a huge risk and it backfired - OK who can predict an injury like that, but things happen and italy were out of options. the game was over from then on, but Spain in total control just kept on beating Italy's 10 men. Hardly fair, as some italian players also needed replacing.

Best international team ever? Still a matter of debate. been so many over the years and training and tactics change.
Currently the best in Europe, but no overwhelmingly so, as the Portugese could have possibly beaten them.

I reckon it's quite unfair to fault them for struggling in one game tbf. Spain have looked pretty comfortable winning three tournaments on the bounce, and I would not dare bet against them to win the World Cup in 2014. It just seems that their keep-ball style can't be stopped. At least not when they're up for it.

Portugal had a good go at them and were unlucky. But on another day, you could argue that Spain would tear them a new one. I really think this side is the best international team of all time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 pm 

South East Citizen wrote:
My latest favourite Alan Shearer moment; right at the last knockings last night Linaker asks the pundits who's been player of the tournament, Shearer says "Pirlo", Hansen says in a really smug / triumphant way "Iniesta", Shearer shouts at him "you haven't mentioned him until tonight!", Hansen looks pissed off, credits roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug9D5530rrE&feature=player_detailpage

Shit. How do you post video's properly again??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:55 pm 

Haha! I missed that. Legend.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:26 pm 

superb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 pm 

So now that it's all said and done, was it all worth it? I thought it was mostly a bag of shit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 pm 

i'd be inclined to agree. some properly entertaining games but it was more marked by failures and dullness than success.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
i'd be inclined to agree. some properly entertaining games but it was more marked by failures and dullness than success.

Fair one. You see Spain won? Who'da thought that?! England and France sucked. Ireland should not have been there. it was dull. Tell you what I would have liked, is Polska or Ukraine going further, give the fans something, a bit of romance too it. But no, we had none of that. Very stale I thought. Thank fuck it's only every 4 year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:03 pm 

Good tournament in spite of the pundits/commentators trying so hard to ruin it for everybody.

I don't say this lightly but Martin Keown is the worst commentator I have heard in my life. A commentator is there to add some kind of insight to what you are seeing, no? Keown just tells you what you already know you are seeing. "He's kicked it with his left foot and then the guy has headed it in". Fucking woeful.

Adrian Chiles has been a c*nt. It was embarrassing to see him patronising Roberto Martinez after the Spain v France game, just because Martinez felt Spain's football was better than Germany's. Not saying Chiles isn't allowed to disagree but he was speaking down to RM like he was a child. Embarrassing to watch.

Lawrenson was a c*nt as always. Tried being a comedian as ever and couldn't pull it off. Called Mario "The bad boy of European football". He isn't even the bad boy of City or Italy. Cliched wank.

Was it Guy Mowbray or Jonathan Wilson who continuously called Silva "David Villa" during the Spain v Croatia game? One thing pronouncing a name wrong but to name a completely different person five times in one half when the other person isn't at the same tournament is ridiculous.

Shearer was, as ever, an absolute arsebollock. No insight. Dull as dogshit. "Balotelli hasn't achieved anything" probably being his lowest ebb.

Truly believe the punditry was the lowest I have heard at any tournament ever. Had me pining for Sky.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:39 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
So now that it's all said and done, was it all worth it? I thought it was mostly a bag of shit.

Nothing to do with you colonial boy.
We don't comment on your Pan Pacific championship or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:50 pm 

I enjoyed it. England were shit, which probably exceeded expectations. Some great games, cracking goals and a fair bit of schadenfreude seeing Holland, France and eventually Germany implode. It was always going to pale in comparison to the end of season for us, but it's still football and I'd rather watch football than 99% of the guff on TV nowadays.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 590 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30