Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 pm 

I see the FAI have requested that Ireland be included as 33rd team at the World Cup.

Fucking idiots. Why would they be inlcuded? They didn't qualify. They were not even winning the tie when it happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:04 pm 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
Sigh john delaney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 pm 

Squidge wrote:
I see the FAI have requested that Ireland be included as 33rd team at the World Cup.

Fucking idiots. Why would they be inlcuded? They didn't qualify. They were not even winning the tie when it happened.

The FAI are fucking idiots.

I am going to write to them and propose they put Jedward in charge. They would do a better job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:02 pm 

Yep, pretty pathetic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:49 am 
Bono backs brave Ireland
Tue Dec 01 08:39AM

Ireland's flagging campaign to go to the World Cup got the political shot in the arm it so desperately needed yesterday when it received the backing of Dublin's greatest son.

A man who heals the sick, protects the children, cures the lepers and gives succour to the poor. An inspiration and a figure of hope to the world's downtrodden and a financial lifeline to makers of crap sunglasses.

Yes - and Early Doors is genuflecting as it types this - Bono himself has lent his backing to the risible and ill-thought-out Irish appeal to become the 33rd team at South Africa 2010.

The FIFA president revealed the request yesterday morning, although he could not help smirking and adding "yes, really" as he did so. When Sepp Blatter thinks you're ridiculous, it could be time to rethink your strategy.
But Bono, the patron saint of lost causes*, has thrown his weight behind the appeal, sobbing: "The whole country received a devastating blow. The country's going through a lot of difficult times at the moment anyway.

"I think it would be really a noble thing for FIFA to do. I think it's OK for FIFA to say: 'Look, things are changing, that game was an affront to FIFA's concept of fairness.'

"And I think there are smart people in FIFA who will see this as an opportunity to show that FIFA is not a huge, giant bureaucracy that can't be turned around. It can be turned around, and it should allow Ireland to be at the cup."

Bono thinks he can turn FIFA around? He should stick to the easy stuff, like eradicating AIDS from Africa.

As the joke goes, what's the difference between Bono and God? God doesn't walk around Dublin pretending he's Bono.

With each passing day, Roy Keane's insistence that his countrymen simply "get over it" seems less like bitter griping and more like good sense.

* The U2 frontman claims he bought the image rights from Jude the Apostle and is now in a costly legal battle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:56 am 

Bored of this now.

:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:00 am 
Danny's Studs wrote:
Bored of this now.

very

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:11 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Bored of this now.

I have told you a number of times.
You are now trying my patience, and No you cannot use the fact that you are an illiterate colonial boy as an excuse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:14 am 
Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
You are now trying my patience, and No you cannot use the fact that you are an illiterate colonial boy as an excuse.

When the British National Corpus (BNC) was assembled in the early 1990s, there were 246 instances of 'bored with', but only 10 hits for 'bored of' -- and most of these came from recorded conversations rather than from written texts. The bored of variant would still, I suspect, be regarded as incorrect by most teachers, but a search on Google finds 112,000 instances of this pairing, as against 340,000 examples of bored with. It is always a bad idea to make predictions about language, but bored of seems to be catching up with bored with, and may well end up being recognized as an acceptable alternative. un:cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:15 am 

What's wrong with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:16 am 

Emigre wrote:
When the British National Corpus (BNC) was assembled in the early 1990s, there were 246 instances of 'bored with', but only 10 hits for 'bored of' -- and most of these came from recorded conversations rather than from written texts. The bored of variant would still, I suspect, be regarded as incorrect by most teachers, but a search on Google finds 112,000 instances of this pairing, as against 340,000 examples of bored with. It is always a bad idea to make predictions about language, but bored of seems to be catching up with bored with, and may well end up being recognized as an acceptable alternative. un:cool:

I worry about your life sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:17 am 
I worry about your life sometimes.

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:18 am 
South East Citizen wrote:
What's wrong with that?

'Bored of' is grammatically incorrect. It should be 'bored with'. A lot of the problems started with the book 'Bored of the rings,' a parody of Lord of the rings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:20 am 

Emigre wrote:
Why?

That you should spend time looking up the number of examples on google when you could be doing far better things, taking nice photos or being kind to Mrs E etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 am 
That you should spend time looking up the number of examples on google when you could be doing far better things, taking nice photos or being kind to Mrs E etc.

I was quoting. (Without the use of quotation marks) Someone else did the hard work. I just stepped in and took all the glory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:22 am 

Emigre wrote:
I was quoting. (Without the use of quotation marks) Someone else did the hard work. I just stepped in and took all the glory.

Well I suppose someone has to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:24 am 

Emigre wrote:
'Bored of' is grammatically incorrect. It should be 'bored with'. A lot of the problems started with the book 'Bored of the rings,' a parody of Lord of the rings.

News to me, I've been using bored of all my life. When I think back to all the letters, emails, essays - oh the shame!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:29 am 

Blatter yesterday.

http://www.footytube.com/video/blatter-on-ireland-s-controversial-play-off-loss-to-france-28572

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:31 am 
South East Citizen wrote:
News to me, I've been using bored of all my life. When I think back to all the letters, emails, essays - oh the shame!!

I'm fairly sure I've fallen foul of that one myself a good few times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am 

Bono has said his piece. He seems to think that cameras would be a good idea as it would help the ref make better decisions.

He also thinks these cameras would be useful for crowd control.

It is obvious this twat has only ever been in a football stadium when he has been bellowing out his shallow songs and shouting about Amnesty and saving the world.

He can piss off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next