Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:35 pm 

We are talking Morality not money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 pm 

I work for 2 agencies as a supply teacher. One pays £15 a day less than the other. The cheap one phones me and asks me to work tomorrow and I say yes and the other phones me an hour later and asks me to go to a better school , what do I do.

I go with the first one that I promised.

Do you not think that I am right Squidge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:39 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
We are talking Morality not money.

Unfortunately Bert, they're tied together here. You've already used the money arguement to back up your point a couple of times anyway.

Why is it morally wrong for him to seek a new employer? Surely everybody has done this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:40 pm 

I work for 2 agencies as a supply teacher. One pays £15 a day less than the other. The cheap one phones me and asks me to work tomorrow and I say yes and the other phones me an hour later and asks me to go to a better school , what do I do.

I go with the first one that I promised.

Do you not think that I am right Squidge?

You are right because it is your choice. You have made that decision because that's what you want and what you feel is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:42 pm 

I don't feel it is right
I know it is right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:47 pm 

I don't feel it is right
I know it is right.

By your morals? Of course.

If we go back to the money issue though, as you did by mentioning the rates of which the respective schools would pay, then it is actually no comparison is it? Because, no disrespect to the good work i'm sure you do Bert, it isn't going to result in multi-million pound profits for the school is it? There isn't going to be a school that can offer a better quality of student willing to buy your services for millions of pounds from your current employer either.

The comparison fails, in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:48 pm 

it is not a comparison it is a matter of principle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:49 pm 

it is not a comparison it is a matter of principle

So we'e back to personal principles?

In which case i ask again, who are we, really, to judge where Beckham plays his football, or even what his reasons are for doing it?

Everybody looks out for number one Bert, surely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm 

Squidge wrote:
By your morals? Of course.

If we go back to the money issue though, as you did by mentioning the rates of which the respective schools would pay, then it is actually no comparison is it? Because, no disrespect to the good work i'm sure you do Bert, it isn't going to result in multi-million pound profits for the school is it? There isn't going to be a school that can offer a better quality of student willing to buy your services for millions of pounds from your current employer either.

The comparison fails, in my opinion.

If you were the school and on good faith offered Bert a position to which he'd agreed, would you then not be a bit pissed off and bring Bert's character in question when you found out that he had since accepted another school's offer because it is more money.

Or, how about this... you meet a girl you like, you date and you commit to each other. She later dumps you and you find out that the reason for this is that she has chosen someone better looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:52 pm 

Squidge wrote:
So we'e back to personal principles?

In which case i ask again, who are we, really, to judge where Beckham plays his football, or even what his reasons are for doing it?

Everybody looks out for number one Bert, surely?

You were the one claiming he is a top bloke and a role model

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:52 pm 

Quite Coods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:53 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:56 pm 

cooder wrote:
If you were the school and on good faith offered Bert a position to which he'd agreed, would you then not be a bit pissed off and bring Bert's character in question when you found out that he had since accepted another school's offer because it is more money.

Or, how about this... you meet a girl you like, you date and you commit to each other. She later dumps you and you find out that the reason for this is that she has chosen someone better looking.

A) From an employers perspective, left with a gap to fill i would obviously be disapointed. Would i call his character into question for accepting more money than i could/would? No. I'd be very frustrated of course, as i thought i had the man for the job.

KEY DIFFERENCE: Milan will have to BUY Beckham's services. Galaxy don't even have to sell if they don't want. Therefore ruling the schools comparitive point near pointless.

B) You're talking about human emotion, not business, which the Beckham issue is. Again, not a comparison i can really see the point of i'm being honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:59 pm 

If a school has 30 kids without a teacher they are not likely to ask me again. i might then have days without work and schools talk to each other . The only loser there is me because I put money before morals.
I am sad that you can't see this .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm 

If a school has 30 kids without a teacher they are not likely to ask me again. i might then have days without work and schools talk to each other . The only loser there is me because I put money before morals.
I am sad that you can't see this .

Oh my God. Bert, i seriously would have expected a better arguement from you but we're just going round in circle's and it seems to me that you are missing the point somewhat. In the above situation we are talking about a completely different situation to the Beckham one. I know you said you weren't making a comparison, but that begs the question, what was the point in the post in the first place?

Of course, in everyday life it is beneficial and just plain good form to stick to promises but in the Beckham situation we are talking about a good, in the business/product sense that can be bought and sold. If the selling party and the buying party find a price they are both happy with then who loses there? The product, in this case is a person, changes hands at an agreed fee where both parties feel they have got a good deal.

And, to add a happy ending, the "product" is happy too.

What on Earth is morally wrong with that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:12 pm 

Squidge wrote:
Oh my God. Bert, i seriously would have expected a better arguement from you but we're just going round in circle's and it seems to me that you are missing the point somewhat. In the above situation we are talking about a completely different situation to the Beckham one. I know you said you weren't making a comparison, but that begs the question, what was the point in the post in the first place?

Of course, in everyday life it is beneficial and just plain good form to stick to promises but in the Beckham situation we are talking about a good, in the business/product sense that can be bought and sold. If the selling party and the buying party find a price they are both happy with then who loses there? The product, in this case is a person, changes hands at an agreed fee where both parties feel they have got a good deal.

The final word is with Beckham --ask Kaka__ and he should have moral decency unlike a bag of potatos .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:13 pm 

Squidge wrote:

Did LA Galaxy state they want to sell Beckham or have they felt obliged to due to the fact the Beckham has in no uncertain terms stated he wants to stay at Milan. Galaxy then have the option of having an unhappy and therefore tainted product back or cashing in, something they obviously didn't want to do, the loan and not sale is evidence of this. Any money they receive for Beckham is as much compensation more than anything else.

That this man should be held up by you to be a role model is the issue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:15 pm 

The final word is with Beckham --ask Kaka__ and he should have moral decency unlike a bag of potatos .

Yes, the final word is with Beckham. And so he can have his say if his employer decide they are willing to sell his services on.

At this point Beckham is free to make whatever choice he wants happy in the knowledge that Galaxy have allowed him to leave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:19 pm 

Tottenham angered over Robbie Keane's Liverpool transfer
Liverpool last night completed the signing of Robbie Keane from Tottenham on a four-year contract for an initial fee of £19 million, but the move did not pass off without controversy.

By Graham Chase
Last Updated: 4:01PM BST 29 Jul 2008
Liverpool gamble on Robbie Keane
Walk on: Robbie Keane's move to Liverpool angered Spurs chairman Daniel Levy Photo: PA

Although Liverpool apologised for the 'inappropriate' way that their official website had reported comments made by manager Rafael Benitez regarding Keane – prompting the London club to drop an official complaint to of tapping up – Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy was still left furious by events.

"I have already made my opinion clear on this transaction," Levy said. "I don't regard it as a transfer deal – that is something which happens between two clubs when they both agree to trade – this is very much an enforced sale."

"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:20 pm 

Squidge we will have to agree to disagree. You can't see what my argument is and I don't feel like trying to explain it yet again. Cooder sees my point , perhaps he can explain it better than I

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next