Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:21 pm 

cooder wrote:
Did LA Galaxy state they want to sell Beckham or have they felt obliged to due to the fact the Beckham has in no uncertain terms stated he wants to stay at Milan. Galaxy then have the option of having an unhappy and therefore tainted product back or cashing in, something they obviously didn't want to do, the loan and not sale is evidence of this. Any money they receive for Beckham is as much compensation more than anything else.

That this man should be held up by you to be a role model is the issue

But they still only have to sell at a price they are happy with, and let's not forget the massive wages they'd be offloading as well.

And i go back to one of the first points they made, did they really think they could allow one of the world's top footballers (debatable i know, but just for the sake of arguement), harbouring ambitions of carrying on at international level to go to Milan (one of the world's top clubs) on a temporary and not have his head turned? At best that is extremely naive.

And compensation? Isn't that what every transfer fee is, essentially? "We're taking you're player but we'll compensate you for it", pretty much? Didn't Galaxy get him on a free transfer? I would guess, when counting shirt sales and other Beckham merchandise sold worldwide, that if they sell now they will have a made a very decent profit. Oh, and raised the clubs profile worldwide almost immeasurably.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:22 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Squidge we will have to agree to disagree. You can't see what my argument is and I don't feel like trying to explain it yet again. Cooder sees my point , perhaps he can explain it better than I

I do Bert, i am just not entirely convinced of it's relevance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:34 pm 

Squidge wrote:
I do Bert, i am just not entirely convinced of it's relevance.

Beckham committed to Galaxy, that he's upsticks at his first possible convenience is just like I said earlier, tantamount to dumping your girlfriend the second something better comes along.

We're not talking about money or the nature of the game. What Bert is saying is that a man who is argued to be a role model should be a man of his word. If Beckham was a man of his word, he'd have gone to Milan and then returned, no questions asked to honour his contract. This isn't about Galaxy being naive, you could argue that they too felt that Beckham was a man true to his word and trusted he would return after his loan spell. I seem to remember them being quite reluctant about the whole affair actually.

The long and short of it is that Beckham is a money grabbing twunt (agreed, like many others) but for him then to be termed a 'top bloke' and 'role model' is just plain wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 pm 

cooder wrote:
Beckham committed to Galaxy, that he's upsticks at his first possible convenience is just like I said earlier, tantamount to dumping your girlfriend the second something better comes along.

We're not talking about money or the nature of the game. What Bert is saying is that a man who is argued to be a role model should be a man of his word. If Beckham was a man of his word, he'd have gone to Milan and then returned, no questions asked to honour his contract. This isn't about Galaxy being naive, you could argue that they too felt that Beckham was a man true to his word and trusted he would return after his loan spell. I seem to remember them being quite reluctant about the whole affair actually.

The long and short of it is that Beckham is a money grabbing twunt (agreed, like many others) but for him then to be termed a 'top bloke' and 'role model' is just plain wrong

Right, i agree with the whole principal of that but i honestly think you can't seperate morals and money in this debate, because i think it distorts the real picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:56 pm 

Benny wrote:
This country...

Going to the dogs in a handcart...

These are the cries of the carrots.