Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:48 am 

For the last 50 he spent more time off the pitch than on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:46 am 

meh - couldn't give a monkey's

england can feck off as far as I'm concerned,

Aguero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:54 am 

The Spanish play was redolent of Barcelona this season. England typified the lumpen style of the Premier League. Speculative aerial 50/50 balls. Very much reminded me of Chelsea.

Capello will realize that even with Rooney, Gerrard and Ferdinand back we will always struggle against sides like Spain, Portugal and Brazil. Their tempo and style of play is too sophisticated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:58 am 

Candy Sausagehead wrote:
The Spanish play was redolent of Barcelona this season. England typified the lumpen style of the Premier League. Speculative aerial 50/50 balls. Very much reminded me of Chelsea.

Capello will realize that even with Rooney, Gerrard and Ferdinand back we will always struggle against sides like Spain, Portugal and Brazil. Their tempo and style of play is too sophisticated.

We had our chances in the first half. Bring back those key players you mentioned and take away the home advantage and we'd be in with half a chance against the likes of Spain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 am 

SWP should have done better with his chance to be honest. Great first touch... but he virtually passed it to Reina. May have changed the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:14 pm 

I feel if that was earlier in the Game sweep may have troubled the keeper a lot more. Beckham will be alright in cameo appearences, he come on last night and did 2 superb passes to create probably our only shots on target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:00 pm 

D-A-Z wrote:
108 caps the same as moore. He should not have made 100 caps

Instead of just coming out with a statement like that, any chance of explaining why he doesn't ?, accept from the usual "ive never seen him beat a man " shite. Beckham was class for United, basically had an assist every single game, won the champions league, a couple of Prem titles, F.A cup, inspirational England captain, helped hugely in Real Madrids capture of the title, and has made a quality start in A.C Milan, last time i checked those three are pretty major players in Europe, Beckham is a unique talismanic player, and I'd love to see somebody tell me why he isnt ?.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:05 pm 

LegendKiller63 wrote:
Instead of just coming out with a statement like that, any chance of explaining why he doesn't ?, accept from the usual "ive never seen him beat a man " shite. Beckham was class for United, basically had an assist every single game, won the champions league, a couple of Prem titles, F.A cup, inspirational England captain, helped hugely in Real Madrids capture of the title, and has made a quality start in A.C Milan, last time i checked those three are pretty major players in Europe, Beckham is a unique talismanic player, and I'd love to see somebody tell me why he isnt ?.

Spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:29 pm 

LegendKiller63 wrote:

The amount of times he has played when off form, unfit etc.

He was good at united, but the champs league win was ten years ago. He was basically a sub at Real, played well for a few months at the end which was highlighted in england, because he's english. Spent what should be his peak years in america.

Last night is a prime example of what pisses me off. Unless Young and Milner were unfit, why werent they involved? They are playing brilliantly at the moment. Cos beckham came on swp had to play on the left, johnson was getting a chance and everytime he gave beckham a pass and made a run beckham just played another bullshit hollywood 70 yard pass which doesnt benefit anyone, they just look pretty.

He is possibly the best free kick taker and crosser in the world.. or was. if he had stayed wide and done this then yes, id have played him all these times. but he wants to play the dream ball, lose discipline and wander off.

I dont rate him as he plays and i never will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:48 pm 

Bluewythy wrote:
The amount of times he has played when off form, unfit etc.

He was good at united, but the champs league win was ten years ago. He was basically a sub at Real, played well for a few months at the end which was highlighted in england, because he's english. Spent what should be his peak years in america.

Last night is a prime example of what pisses me off. Unless Young and Milner were unfit, why werent they involved? They are playing brilliantly at the moment. Cos beckham came on swp had to play on the left, johnson was getting a chance and everytime he gave beckham a pass and made a run beckham just played another bullshit hollywood 70 yard pass which doesnt benefit anyone, they just look pretty.

He is possibly the best free kick taker and crosser in the world.. or was. if he had stayed wide and done this then yes, id have played him all these times. but he wants to play the dream ball, lose discipline and wander off.

I dont rate him as he plays and i never will.

I think your totally wrong in saying hes spent his peak years in America, in this day an age, at 32 onwards you are at the close of your career, also since when has being able to spray 70 yard passes all over the park not beneficial, and last nite from what I rememember Beckham pinged it about 70 yards to SWP, and he skipped inside and had a shot, he also was the only England player to carve the Spanish defence apart, when he played the through ball to Carleton Cole, you also say about Milner and Ashley Young playing brilliantley at the moment, it would be hard to argue that Beckham is playing brilliantley aswell surely ?, two goals in 4 starts I think.
For the record aswell Im not saying that Beckham should be starting, im saying that he deserves his 108 caps because hes class, and I think people in England should recognise him as one of the true world class talents this country has produced in the last 20 or so years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm 

There have been loads of players over the years who deserved caps as much as Beckham and never got half as many.
Jimmy Armfield was one of the best right backs ever. A truly Loyal one club man , a thoroughly decent chap. Bobby Robson , the same. Although I don.t like saying it Bobby Charlton, won a world cup and champions league, championships, FA cups, one club man, never chased the money.
Our own Alan Oakes , again one club , can't remember if he played for England. Mike Doyle, Colin himself would have had loads more caps had he not been injured. Giggs and Scholes even.
Beckham has done well, both for football and himself, but mainly for being in the right place at the right time, but he is thick, Last night in his post match interview he could not remember Bobby Moore's name , called him " Bobby -----er----- Charlton".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
There have been loads of players over the years who deserved caps as much as Beckham and never got half as many.
Jimmy Armfield was one of the best right backs ever. A truly Loyal one club man , a thoroughly decent chap. Bobby Robson , the same. Although I don.t like saying it Bobby Charlton, won a world cup and champions league, championships, FA cups, one club man, never chased the money.
Our own Alan Oakes , again one club , can't remember if he played for England. Mike Doyle, Colin himself would have had loads more caps had he not been injured. Giggs and Scholes even.
Beckham has done well, both for football and himself, but mainly for being in the right place at the right time, but he is thick, Last night in his post match interview he could not remember Bobby Moore's name , called him " Bobby -----er----- Charlton".

True dat.
Brian Clough; Jimmy Greaves

It's jobs for the boys the England set up. That's why England tends to underperform.
England's only world cup win was quite fortunate. Alf Ramsey almost made a hash of it in 1966 and got found out in 1970. Overrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:22 pm 

Mike Duxbury , Martin Dobson. Alan Shearer, Stanley Matthews, Tom Finney, the list is endless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:42 pm 

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
Our own Alan Oakes , again one club , can't remember if he played for England. Mike Doyle, Colin himself would have had loads more caps had he not been injured. [B]Giggs[/B] and Scholes even.

Erm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:48 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Erm...

Played for England boys I think and then made a bad decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:56 pm 

Frank Blue wrote:
Played for England boys I think and then made a bad decision.

apparently boys is based on where your school is and he never actually qualified for proper england.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:01 am 

LegendKiller63 wrote:
I think your totally wrong in saying hes spent his peak years in America, in this day an age, at 32 onwards you are at the close of your career, also since when has being able to spray 70 yard passes all over the park not beneficial, and last nite from what I rememember Beckham pinged it about 70 yards to SWP, and he skipped inside and had a shot, he also was the only England player to carve the Spanish defence apart, when he played the through ball to Carleton Cole, you also say about Milner and Ashley Young playing brilliantley at the moment, it would be hard to argue that Beckham is playing brilliantley aswell surely ?, two goals in 4 starts I think.
For the record aswell Im not saying that Beckham should be starting, im saying that he deserves his 108 caps because hes class, and I think people in England should recognise him as one of the true world class talents this country has produced in the last 20 or so years

so precedent for getting an england cap is 4 good games? other players have to put in a good full season before getting recognition. yes his passes to swp and cole were good. but i think his whole game since he became famous has been about making him look good. while he may have input as an individual, i think the team misses out, loses shape and players lose rhythm.

just my opinion.