Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ireland (and Ireland)
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:48 pm 

New Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni will not close the door on Stephen Ireland if he refuses to immediately return to the fold.

Manchester City midfielder Ireland has not played for his country since a European Championship qualifying draw with Slovakia in Bratislava last September.

Ireland then withdrew from the squad for the game with the Czech Republic that immediately followed, initially citing the passing of his maternal grandmother, and then the death of his paternal grandmother.

Ireland was discovered to have lied on both occasions to cover the fact girlfriend Jessica had suffered a miscarriage, which led to profuse apologies for the embarrassment caused.

Although called into the squad for the matches with Germany and Cyprus in October, he again withdrew, with then manager Steve Staunton stating he was "not mentally ready to play for his country."

Following Staunton's sacking, Ireland failed to see eye-to-eye with caretaker manager Don Givens, who subsequently left him out for the friendly against Brazil in February.

Despite his problems, the 21-year-old still won the Young Player of the Year honour at the Football Association of Ireland's awards dinner earlier this year.

Appreciating Ireland is a vital player if the Republic are to qualify for the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa, Trapattoni has already spoken to City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson.

The 69-year-old Italian will also speak to Ireland personally in the hope of coaxing him to return, either now - for a training camp in Portugal later this month - or sometime in the future.

"He is a very important player for us. He is young, but he has quality," Trapattoni said.

"I have spoken with Sven and he has said I will have to speak to him, but he has not said he is not coming (to Portugal).

"Sven has said if I talk to him then it is possible he will come back because Stephen has never said he does not want to play for the national team again."

Trapattoni concedes "patience" is likely to be the key with Ireland, adding: "It takes a lot of that.

"Anybody who has children knows how much patience it takes. That and calm are very important.

"I need players on the pitch, and I need them to trust me, so I will always try and bring players back. I will keep my options open."

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:50 pm 

Not not much point in Trapper Tony talking to Sven now.
We are so short of quality players we need him very badly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:52 pm 

Not sure if it's amusing or disturbing that Ireland gets compared to a child towards the end of the article. Ah who am I trying to kid, of course it's funny!

These are the cries of the carrots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm 

Labmonkey wrote:
Not sure if it's amusing or disturbing that Ireland gets compared to a child towards the end of the article. Ah who am I trying to kid, of course it's funny!

Even less funny when you realise he has 2 kids of his own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:01 pm 

It will be good to see him back playing for Ireland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:15 pm 

slart wrote:
Even less funny when you realise he has 2 kids of his own!

should have kept his winky in his superman pants

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:34 pm 

It's better for Ireland to go back to the international level, if will improve his game.