Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: cyprus vs italy
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:39 am 

just watching a replay not knowing the result, and its 1-1 , upset on the cards maybe? cyprus are playing quite well.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:57 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
just watching a replay not knowing the result, and its 1-1 , upset on the cards maybe? cyprus are playing quite well.

I hope so, fucking wops.

Cypriats and Italians, couldnt get daylight between who is worse to do a business deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:58 am 

how about a dutchman? worst of all?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:01 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
how about a dutchman? worst of all?

I find the Dutch great to work with. Easy, up front and you know where you stand.

By the way, Petrov scored for Bulgaria and they drew 2 - 2 with Moldova.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:03 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
I find the Dutch great to work with. Easy, up front and you know where you stand.

By the way, Petrov scored for Bulgaria and they drew 2 - 2 with Moldova.

cool

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:25 am 

Best result yesterday was Austria kickin the Frenchmen Asses badly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:32 am 

GermanCityFan wrote:
Best result yesterday was Austria kickin the Frenchmen Asses badly :)

The French team is in tatters right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:54 am 

fucking wogs , sooo didnt deserve the win

edit: i feel as though i resolved the mis understanding

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:58 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:
fucking w***, sooo didnt deserve the win

I think that might be a mistype that you want to edit Miggsy...otherwise you've used a racial slur far more offensive than the one you intended, and it has nothing to do with the Italians!

I've **** it on mine so it doesn't get edited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:06 pm 

a wog is an italian in australia, nothing to do with a gollywog which i think is what youre referring to?

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:07 pm 

there is even a movie about it.

I was born with "
methemoglobinemia"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:08 pm 

Miggs V3 wrote:
a wog is an italian in australia, nothing to do with a gollywog which i think is what youre referring to?

Ah right. Well, yes, you've guessed correct. I assumed you hadn't meant that...obviously just has a different meaning to the English readers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:15 am 

One of the most unfair results I've ever seen in a game of football! Cyprus far outplayed the Italians and was 100% entitled to win it. Missing great opportunities to score from the opening minutes to as late in the game as the 80th or 86th min, a draw would have been hugely unfair, but actually losing the game was simply unbelievable the way the two teams played. Lipi must be the luckiest coach on earth!

Cyprus had more posession, shots on goal, about 9 (!) corners and Buffon was named man of the match! With Cyprus attacking and creating huge goal scoring opportunities from the opening minutes through to injury time, Italian players stated after the game they were praying for the ref to end it so they could keep the draw. That they could actually score a winner on the final minute of added time was..... I don't know. I mean... how lucky can you be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:34 am 

CYPRUS 1 - ITALY 2

(From Gazzetta Dello Sport): Let’s not be picky here: the main take-home message today, is that Italy started their road to World Cup 2010 with a win. 2-1, 3 points, and thank you. And let’s try to put this generous and hard-working Cypriot team aside, the Azzurri played a good match and eventually deserved their wi… mwahahahhaha sorry, I just can’t keep a straight face while saying that. For those of you who aren’t following: Italy played bad.

The match’s first 20 minutes were a rare concentrate of emotions, thanks in no little part to both teams’ offensive work. Wait, let me rephrase that: thanks in large part to both teams’ defensive work (or lack thereof). For Italy in particular, I guess Alessandro Gamberini and Fabio Grosso’s 4th and 18th minute injuries probably didn’t help (both players will have to skip Wednesday’s match vs. Georgia). What certainly didn’t help was Barzagli’s entrance… kinda like seeing the Euro 2008 opening-game disaster all over again. Brrrrr…

But back to the game. We were talking about Andrea’s shortcomings… let’s talk about Gigi’s achievements. In one word: lifesaver. Without Buffon, Italy could have easily gone 2-0 down in the first quarter, had it not been for the super-keeper’s saves on Aloneftis (Omonoia) and Constantinou. Ironically, and as I love to say on this site (”but raté, but encaissé” remember?), Cyprus immediately paid a heavy price for their poor finishing rate: on their first shot on target, the Azzurri (i.e. Totò Di Natale) took the lead (smart acceleration to fool two defenders and low hard shot inside the left post). 1-0 Italy.

Game over? Hah! Right… not with this defense (and I’m talking about both teams). After Italy’s opener, scoring chances for Cyprus just seemed to multiply faster than horny rabbits. Buffon and Cannavaro combined to deny a double shot by Okkas (Omonoia) and Constantinou, Barzagli continued to send shivers down Lippi’s spine (almost conceding a penalty for an obvious trip inside the box), and eventually… well, eventually the home team scored. Surprised? Nikolau got through on the right wing (yet another overlap), crossed for Kostantinou, Buffon made another miracle, but could do very little on point-blank poke of Stathis Aloneftis (Cassetti nothing more than a spectator on the occasion). 1-1 in minute 28.

The match thus proceeded to the half-time break and Lippi, despite having made two changes already, was forced to use substitution nº3 for Luca Toni. Indeed, except from the fact the Bayern Munich striker was just not “in it” today, the team crucially needed some re-balancing. So exit Toni, enter Gennaro Gattuso. The substitution definitely improved things somewhat, and also particularly seemed to please Alberto Gilardino (really not in his element on the right wing). Italy started to play better, and the Cypriots’ first 45 minutes of thunder had definitely left their mark fitness-wise (the hot weather also contributing). Coach Anastasiades pulled off his big tall striker and attempted to take cover, while Di Natale tried his luck again from mid-range (wide).

In the final 15 minutes, things went from crazy to insane. Cyprus came close (three times!) to the killer blow, especially on set-pieces (two point-blank headers by Charalambous (Omonoia) just inches wide), and Barzagli even had the chance to make amends for his mistakes with a short-range tap-in (following a parried Pirlo free-kick), lacking power in the finish however. As for Buffon, the phrase “Thank God for Gigi” once again took a new meaning…

And then: a glimmer of light in a sky full of clouds. Second minute of stoppage time: a long kick by Buffon arrived all the way to Gilardino. The Fiorentina striker let the ball drop, backheeled it towards Camoranesi in the center, who was now wide open for the shot. Instead of shooting however, the Juve winger delicately crossed it for Di Natale on the left: volley on the run and ball in the sack. 2-1 Italy. God must still like the Azzurri…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 am 

Cyprus 1-2 Italy: Di Natale double flatters Azzurri
Scoring Summary
Cyprus Italy
Efstathios Aloneftis (28) Antonio Di Natale (8)
Antonio Di Natale (90)

Match Stats
Cyprus Italy
Shots (on Goal) 18(8) 14(7)
Fouls 12 12
Corner Kicks 9 2
Offsides 1 3
Possession 51% 49%
Yellow Cards 3 3
Red Cards 0 0
Saves 8 7

Match Information
Stadium: Antonis Papadopoulos Stadium (Larnaca)
Attendance: 8,000
Match Time: 19:45 UK

Teams
Cyprus Italy
16 Antonis Georgallides (Omonoia)1 Gianluigi Buffon
8 Alexandros Garpozis 2 Gianluca Zambrotta
4 Marios Nicolau 3 Fabio Grosso
3 Elias Charalambous (Omonoia) 4 Alessandro Gamberini
2 Chrisou Paraskevas 5 Fabio Cannavaro
13 Chrysostomous Michail 6 Daniele De Rossi
10 Konstantinos Charalampidis 8 Mauro German Camoranesi
12 Konstantinos Makridis 10 Andrea Pirlo
7 Efstathios Aloneftis (Omonoia) 9 Luca Toni
9 Yiannis Okkas (Omonoia) 11 Alberto Gilardino
11 Michalis Konstantinou 7 Antonio Di Natale
Substitutes
1 Michael Morphis Morgan De Sanctis 12
6 Stelios Okkarides Andrea Barzagli 13
5 Andreas Constantinou Marco Cassetti 14
14 Christakis Marangos Ivan Gennaro Gattuso 15
17 Koullis Pavlou (Omonoia) Alberto Aquilani 16
18 Yiasoumi Yiasoumis Vincenzo Iaquinta 18
15 Dimitris Christofi (Omonoia) Alessandro Del Piero 17
Substitutions
Dimitris Christofi for Michalis Konstantinou (63)
Andrea Barzagli for Alessandro Gamberini (4)

Yiasoumi Yiasoumis for Chrysostomous Michail (72)
Marco Cassetti for Fabio Grosso (18)

Koullis Pavlou for Yiannis Okkas (74)
Ivan Gennaro Gattuso for Luca Toni (45)

Yellow Cards
Alexandros Garpozis (36)
Luca Toni (35)

Marios Nicolau (69)
Marco Cassetti (38)

Konstantinos Charalampidis (73)
Mauro German Camoranesi (85)

· Club Squads: Cyprus | Italy
Updated: September 6, 2008, 8:00 AM UK

LARNACA, Cyprus, Sept 6 (Reuters) - Antonio Di Natale scored twice as Italy started the defence of their World Cup crown on Saturday with a lucky 2-1 win over Cyprus in their Group Eight qualifier.

The striker fired home a stoppage-time winner after he had put the Azzurri ahead in the eighth minute, driving a low right-footed shot into the corner when allowed space outside the area by the Cypriot defence.

Efstathios Aloneftis had deservedly levelled for the hosts in the 29th, pouncing when defender Marco Cassetti dithered instead of clearing the rebound of a Gianluigi Buffon save from a Konstantinos Charalampidis shot.

Despite the result, Cyprus outplayed the Azzurri for long periods of the game, giving 2006 World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi a lot to think about after his first competitive match since being recalled to replace Roberto Donadoni.

Italy looked shaky in the opening exchanges when keeper Buffon had to make saves to keep out Aloneftis and Michalis Konstantinou.

The hosts remained aggressive after Di Natale's opener and Azzurri captain Fabio Cannavaro had to make a desperate clearance in front of goal from Konstantinou after Buffon had repelled an Ioannis Okkas effort in the 10th.

BAD LUCK

Italy had bad luck with injuries, defenders Andrea Barzagli and Cassetti coming on after Alessandro Gamberini and Fabio Grosso were hurt in the opening 18 minutes.

Lippi tried to buck up the world champions, bringing on midfielder Gennaro Gattuso for ineffective forward Luca Toni at halftime.

Italy's Alberto Gilardino failed to take advantage in the 68th when a deflection diverted the ball into his path in front of goal.

But Cyprus were still dangerous and substitute Dimitris Christofi wasted a great chance in the 75th, pulling his shot wide with only Buffon to beat after slipping between two defenders.

In the closing stages Cyprus's Elias Charalambous twice rifled the ball narrowly past the post before Di Natale snatched victory for the visitors in the 92nd minute, converting a chip from Mauro Camoranesi after a nice heel pass from Gilardino.

The Azzurri play Georgia in four days' time in the northern Italian city of Udine in their next game in Group Eight, which also features Bulgaria, Montenegro and Ireland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:18 am 

You are not happy are you OS?! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:55 am 

Danny's Studs wrote:
You are not happy are you OS?! ;)

Not at all!:mad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:21 am 

Miggs V3 wrote:

I thought that was wop?