Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Olympic Football
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:29 am 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm

Barcelona may launch an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after Fifa ruled the club must release Lionel Messi for the Olympic Games.

The Spanish side are reluctant to let the 21-year-old Argentine forward go, but Messi is keen to play in Beijing.

Fifa ruled on Wednesday that clubs must release players aged 23 or under for the Olympics if they are requested.

Barca, Schalke and Werder Bremen had argued that those matches are not included on the international calendar.

But Fifa said: "The judge determined that the international match calendar is not of relevance in establishing whether clubs are obliged to release players for the Men's Olympic Football Tournament."

Barcelona want Messi for the first leg of their Champions League third qualifying round tie on 12 August.

But with the Olympic football tournament due to begin on 7 August they would have to make do without their star player.

Schalke, who also feature in the Champions League qualifiers, and Werder Bremen must also release Rafinha and Diego respectively, so they can play for Brazil.
AC Milan have already told Brazil that they will not allow Kaka to play in the Olympics, while AC Milan's new signing Ronaldinho and Manchester United's Anderson are both included in Brazil's 18-man Olympic squad.

Real Madrid have asked Brazil to release Robinho from Olympic duty because of a suspected groin injury.

The 24-year-old has over 50 Brazil caps and is a reported target for Chelsea.

Real Madrid revealed their doctors had said Robinho's injury was discovered when he turned up for a medical examination and light training along with most of the club's squad.

Robinho said: "Unhappily, I can't go with Brazil to the Games, but it is Real Madrid's decision and I respect it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think football should be removed from the Olympics. No one needs this nonsense.

no no no, i like the foreigners. it's those c nts in white football shirts that get on my tits. - GA (on England)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:46 pm 

Frank Blue wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/football/7518008.stm

Barcelona may launch an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after Fifa ruled the club must release Lionel Messi for the Olympic Games.

The Spanish side are reluctant to let the 21-year-old Argentine forward go, but Messi is keen to play in Beijing.

Fifa ruled on Wednesday that clubs must release players aged 23 or under for the Olympics if they are requested.

Barca, Schalke and Werder Bremen had argued that those matches are not included on the international calendar.

But Fifa said: "The judge determined that the international match calendar is not of relevance in establishing whether clubs are obliged to release players for the Men's Olympic Football Tournament."

Barcelona want Messi for the first leg of their Champions League third qualifying round tie on 12 August.

But with the Olympic football tournament due to begin on 7 August they would have to make do without their star player.

Schalke, who also feature in the Champions League qualifiers, and Werder Bremen must also release Rafinha and Diego respectively, so they can play for Brazil.
AC Milan have already told Brazil that they will not allow Kaka to play in the Olympics, while AC Milan's new signing Ronaldinho and Manchester United's Anderson are both included in Brazil's 18-man Olympic squad.

Real Madrid have asked Brazil to release Robinho from Olympic duty because of a suspected groin injury.

The 24-year-old has over 50 Brazil caps and is a reported target for Chelsea.

Real Madrid revealed their doctors had said Robinho's injury was discovered when he turned up for a medical examination and light training along with most of the club's squad.

Robinho said: "Unhappily, I can't go with Brazil to the Games, but it is Real Madrid's decision and I respect it."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I think football should be removed from the Olympics. No one needs this nonsense.

i thought the olympic games were supposed to be for amatures only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:54 pm 

bluto46 wrote:
i thought the olympic games were supposed to be for amatures only

THey are but it's bollocks. They are all professional athletes-Linford Christie ran for a living, a la Paula Radclifee et al. Steve Redgrave is a professional rower. No different with footballers imho. Nadal will be in the tennis...

They haven't had amateurs for years and years and years.