Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Nike sponsorship
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:57 pm 

Thats it for Umbro then... shame, I liked them. Best kits we've had in years. However, for fans outside the UK it will be much easier to get new kits...

From the OS:

Quote:
Manchester City Football Club and NIKE Inc. today announced a new partnership that will see the sponsorship of the Club move from Umbro to the Nike brand from the start of the 2013/14 season.

The Umbro sponsorship, which has been in place since June 2009, will continue to the end of the 2012/13 season, after which all kit, training wear and related products will be designed, manufactured and distributed by Nike. The contract will run until 2019.

“We’re excited by the opportunity to further develop the relationship between City and Nike Inc, which builds on the successful partnership the club has already enjoyed with Umbro, and reflects both the ambitions of the club and the Nike brand’s position within the world of football”, commented Nike Brand President, Charlie Denson.

John MacBeath, Interim Chief Executive Officer of Manchester City Football Club added "We are delighted to have further strengthened our relationship with the Nike family.

"Nike's deserved reputation as the leading global sports brand, its unparalleled R&D capacity, leading global retail distribution networks and award winning marketing capabilities mean that this is a very important step forward in the evolution of Manchester City.”

Post subject: Re: New Nike sponsorship
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:21 pm 

O Blue wrote:
Thats it for Umbro then... shame, I liked them. Best kits we've had in years. However, for fans outside the UK it will be much easier to get new kits...

From the OS:

Quote:
Manchester City Football Club and NIKE Inc. today announced a new partnership that will see the sponsorship of the Club move from Umbro to the Nike brand from the start of the 2013/14 season.

The Umbro sponsorship, which has been in place since June 2009, will continue to the end of the 2012/13 season, after which all kit, training wear and related products will be designed, manufactured and distributed by Nike. The contract will run until 2019.

“We’re excited by the opportunity to further develop the relationship between City and Nike Inc, which builds on the successful partnership the club has already enjoyed with Umbro, and reflects both the ambitions of the club and the Nike brand’s position within the world of football”, commented Nike Brand President, Charlie Denson.

John MacBeath, Interim Chief Executive Officer of Manchester City Football Club added "We are delighted to have further strengthened our relationship with the Nike family.

"Nike's deserved reputation as the leading global sports brand, its unparalleled R&D capacity, leading global retail distribution networks and award winning marketing capabilities mean that this is a very important step forward in the evolution of Manchester City.”

ugh.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:29 pm 

It's all about money. we will make more from a Nike branded kit. Fact.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:32 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
O Blue wrote:

From the OS:

Quote:

ugh.

Umbro is owned by Nike anyway tbf. Hopefully the kits won't see a radical departure from recent efforts.

The major thing for a club of our position is the income we'll get - higher sponsorship revenue means easier to comply with FFP rules.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:13 pm 

it was always going to happen tbf, as darlo said nike own umbro anyway, they were always going to take over once we grew in profile a bit.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:43 pm 

the rag's nike shirts have been gash recently, i just hope they don't fuck around with the colour or do any wanky shirts. this season's came close to over fussy, but the soundwave graphic saved it.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:35 pm 

Nike..ffs, i never buy nike trainers or nike gear..and now its been ragified, its like sharp innit...
and you right about the latest rag kits..i feel like we have one over them everytime we get new kits...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:37 pm 

Tough old job designing City kits - they're either too different and everyone raises hell because they break with the tradional look too much, or they're not different enough from the previous season's kit and everyone accuses them of trying to rip us off :cool:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 pm 

I vote for kappa..99 ish../teary eyed nostalgia ftw..

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:45 pm 

reckon i like this a lot, too the point made earlier, Nike owns Umbro so its not really much of a change.

In fact all this does is symbolize our growth and our presence in the world game. I imagine that Nike assumed if we were close to the title they would sign us up from their smaller company Umbro.
Must say i like this a lot, while Nike is a lot bigger and attention to detail sometimes can get lost, I really look forward to seeing what they produce for us, the new warm up jacket will probably be awesome ( there already really cool), and players boots will probably be all sorts of crazy colors and designs. I have to think the players like this a lot better than us the fans.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:49 pm 

ideal scenario which won't happen is that nike are giving us lots more money (this bit will be true) to stick their logo on our shirts but they stick with the same designers

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:55 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
ideal scenario which won't happen is that nike are giving us lots more money (this bit will be true) to stick their logo on our shirts but they stick with the same designers

that would be pretty much perfect.

the home shirt is easy to not fuck up, make it different enough to the previous seasons but keep a general theme - sky blue, no flashy bits of trim or side vents or pin stripes or odd bits. basically like the 09/10 and 10/11 kits.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:

that would be pretty much perfect.

the home shirt is easy to not fuck up, make it different enough to the previous seasons but keep a general theme - sky blue, no flashy bits of trim or side vents or pin stripes or odd bits. basically like the 09/10 and 10/11 kits.

Good point. I would like to see them do something a little off the beaten path for the third kit....I would say an all black jersey with light blue trim kind of like Napoli's but the rags have had the black jersey thing already...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:20 pm 

I remember when there was only umbro.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:34 am 

I thought the reason they'd given us Umbro rather than Nike in the first place was that they were looking to build the brand. Much prefer their kits to the Nike ones I've seen. But Nike stuff hasn't been too bad. They've been responsible for some of the better kits at Euro 2012, including the great Dutch one.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:33 pm 

Wasn't the Umbro deal signed for 10 years in 2009?
And this deal runs to 2019?

Presumably just a continuation of the previous deal but re-branded? Shame, I liked Umbro.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 pm 

kippax_in_my_blood wrote:
I vote for kappa..99 ish../teary eyed nostalgia ftw..

I'm with you its the best kit in a long time.

On Nikee, better than Umbro IMO in general.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 am 

Ugh?! Fucking Nike?! My mortal corporate enemy. Fucking Nike. Ugly as a hatfull of scousers. Fucking Nike. :evil: :mad:

Bollox.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:33 am 

These are, supposedly, the rags kits for next season :eek:

If Nike plans anything like that for us in two years they fuck off :snooty: