Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Gary Cook
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 pm 

I FELT extremely disappointed when I read the story in yesterday's Sun about the e-mail sent to Nedum Onuoha's mum from Manchester City.
How can anyone possibly think it's acceptable to joke about someone suffering from cancer?

The vile message came from the account of City chief executive Garry Cook. Cook says it wasn't him and that someone he employed hacked into his system while he was on holiday.

Now City have to investigate this disgusting behaviour by a member of their staff and sack whoever wrote that e-mail.

They can't sweep this one under the carpet. Nor can the FA and the Premier League.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:13 pm 

bobobaggins wrote:
whoever wrote that e-mail.

but who could it possibly be?

:confused:

:rolleyes:

:whistle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:13 am 

bobobaggins wrote:
I FELT extremely disappointed when I read the story in yesterday's Sun about the e-mail sent to Nedum Onuoha's mum from Manchester City.
How can anyone possibly think it's acceptable to joke about someone suffering from cancer?

The vile message came from the account of City chief executive Garry Cook. Cook says it wasn't him and that someone he employed hacked into his system while he was on holiday.

Now City have to investigate this disgusting behaviour by a member of their staff and sack whoever wrote that e-mail.

They can't sweep this one under the carpet. Nor can the FA and the Premier League.

You're not really familiar with the forum are you?

Do you write for The Sun by any chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:41 am 

Khabom wrote:
You're not really familiar with the forum are you?

Do you write for The Sun by any chance?

dont be stupid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:44 am 

do you think that for one moment, manchester city would risk getting involved in an argument so complicated, that the entire british media would be interested?
man city want to keep their head down now at the minute. we dont want any attention we just want to get our squad back to playing fitness.

if we can do this without alerting the british tabloids, then fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:53 am 

bobobaggins wrote:
dont be stupid

I'm not. I'm just pointing out your terminology.

The message wasn't vile and I wouldn't class his behaviour as disgusting. Terms lifted straight from the Sun article.

city wrote:
do you think that for one moment, manchester city would risk getting involved in an argument so complicated, that the entire british media would be interested?
man city want to keep their head down now at the minute. we dont want any attention we just want to get our squad back to playing fitness.

if we can do this without alerting the british tabloids, then fantastic.

A little late for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 am 

Here's where I stand on this.

Nedum's mum's email to Brian Marwood:

Quote:
Dear Brian
Thank you for getting back to me.
My body might be ravaged by cancer and ongoing chemotherapy but, thankfully, my intellectual and mental capacities remain fully functional. I fail to see where any of the explanations you have offered justify the exclusion of any aspects of Nedum’s Manchester City’s contracted terms and conditions.
I intend to seek formal advice as soon as I feel less fatigued but would prefer an informal resolution of the matter. I will be happy to attend a short meeting at your office, if it helps resolve the matter satisfactorily.
My health problems remain entirely confidential
Regards
Dr. Anthonia Onuha.

A few things struck me about this email.

Firstly, she appears to be making light of her illness by sarcastically suggesting Marwood is questioning her mental capacity with his explanations.
It's an interesting tactic but they're negotiating a business contract and she's bringing up personal issues. She does it again in the next paragraph with her "fatigued" comment.

At this juncture I'd like to point out that having seen someone who was actually ravaged by cancer and ongoing chemotherapy, having seen this person unable to sit up in bed....... well, I understand Cook's sentiments with his "Ravaged by it!!..." comment.

Then the classic: "My health problems remain entirely confidential" comment. Then, ten months later she goes to The Sun.

Lastly, how old is Ned now?
Time to grow some balls son. Cut the apron strings. Why is your mother doing your contract negotiations?
She's got enough on her plate, she's ravaged by cancer ffs.

And now to Garrrrrrry:

Quote:
Brian,
Ravaged with it!!....I don’t know how you sleep at night. You used to be such a nice man when I worked with you at Nike.
G

Yeah, I understand what you mean Garrrry, but, ffs.........putting your feelings in an email?
Regardless of the intended receipiant, writing it down? making a record of your innermost thoughts? and then sending it out into the web?
What where you thinking? Don't you understand what emails are?

If he's innocent then, I imagine, that this would be pretty easy to prove. There would be an electronic record of when and where this email originated, surely. Equally it should be easy enough to say where Cook was at the time.

If he did send it then his goose is cooked, particularly after his denials and statements that a city employee was being disciplined as a consequence.

Last thought, all this happened ten months ago. Ned's mum is bringing this to light now. Something has happened, possibly as a result of the "formal advise" she said she was going to take.

It's going to be hilarious if Cook turns out to be completely innocent.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 am 

Hey Sheikh,

If you want to save your COE, I will volunteer to be the sacraficial lamb if we can do a deal.

I'll fess-up to being the 'employee' who sent this disgusting, vile email. I'm even willing to subject myself to a little tarring and feathering for the pictures on the OS if the money is right.

pm me. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:18 am 

she chose to negotiate on her son's behalf notwithstanding her condition so she can hardly rail against the 'stress' of it all. cook (as i'm sure it was) was simply taking the piss out of marwood for being tough in his dealings with a woman suffering from cancer. she was not getting what she wanted so she runs to the sun, making a mockery of her request for 'confidentiality'. cook is one of those people who has been and always will be a bit of a prick but he's actually doing a good job for us imo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:25 am 

I doubt he would be so stupid, but I know colleagues that have sent a mail to the person they were bitching about.

Either way its not funny or right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:12 am 

evolved wrote:
she chose to negotiate on her son's behalf notwithstanding her condition so she can hardly rail against the 'stress' of it all. cook (as i'm sure it was) was simply taking the piss out of marwood for being tough in his dealings with a woman suffering from cancer. she was not getting what she wanted so she runs to the sun, making a mockery of her request for 'confidentiality'. cook is one of those people who has been and always will be a bit of a prick but he's actually doing a good job for us imo

this is the most important thing, he's not going anywhere. this will pass and Garry will move on to other bigger and better fuck ups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 am 

I still don't understand why it took 10 months to come out?
Is she only now bringing it to light because her son has no apparent future at the club? Previously, she didn't want to upset his chances by rocking the boat?

If this is the case then, despite my sympathies for her illness, she is just playing politics and it should be seen as such.
It seems to me she is just looking for payback from Garrrry and City for not treating her little boy in the way she wanted.

Garrry's goose is probably still Cooked though (see what I did there?).

perhaps a complimentary Kleenex should be placed upon each seat at Eastlands this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 am 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:
Is she only now bringing it to light because her son has no apparent future at the club? Previously, she didn't want to upset his chances by rocking the boat?

If this is the case then, despite my sympathies for her illness, she is just playing politics and it should be seen as such.
It seems to me she is just looking for payback from Garrrry and City for not treating her little boy in the way she wanted.

I did it first, and more subtly. :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:27 am 

PintoMcGuinness wrote:

*sighs*

I suspect he'll so well to dig himself out of this fuck up. It's all very well telling the press a pack of bollocks when Hughes was sacked and Mancini hired, but this is one another level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 am 

bobobaggins wrote:

oh fuck off.

she sold the story to the sun, she tried to use her illness as leverage in contract negotiations.

yes, the email is in poor taste, but offensive? really? is it just me that thinks this is a fuss over fuck all? i'd take the piss out of someone who used that turn of phrase tbh.

i'm not a fan of garrrrrrrrrry but the fuck up here is "reply to all" not "reply to brian." if anything he's taking the piss out of brian for not being soft in negotiations because he's dealing with someone with cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:43 am 

Khabom wrote:
Here's where I stand on this.

Nedum's mum's email to Brian Marwood:

Quote:
Dear Brian
Thank you for getting back to me.
My body might be ravaged by cancer and ongoing chemotherapy but, thankfully, my intellectual and mental capacities remain fully functional. I fail to see where any of the explanations you have offered justify the exclusion of any aspects of Nedum’s Manchester City’s contracted terms and conditions.
I intend to seek formal advice as soon as I feel less fatigued but would prefer an informal resolution of the matter. I will be happy to attend a short meeting at your office, if it helps resolve the matter satisfactorily.
My health problems remain entirely confidential
Regards
Dr. Anthonia Onuha.

A few things struck me about this email.

Firstly, she appears to be making light of her illness by sarcastically suggesting Marwood is questioning her mental capacity with his explanations.
It's an interesting tactic but they're negotiating a business contract and she's bringing up personal issues. She does it again in the next paragraph with her "fatigued" comment.

At this juncture I'd like to point out that having seen someone who was actually ravaged by cancer and ongoing chemotherapy, having seen this person unable to sit up in bed....... well, I understand Cook's sentiments with his "Ravaged by it!!..." comment.

Then the classic: "My health problems remain entirely confidential" comment. Then, ten months later she goes to The Sun.

Lastly, how old is Ned now?
Time to grow some balls son. Cut the apron strings. Why is your mother doing your contract negotiations?
She's got enough on her plate, she's ravaged by cancer ffs.

And now to Garrrrrrry:

Quote:
Brian,
Ravaged with it!!....I don’t know how you sleep at night. You used to be such a nice man when I worked with you at Nike.
G

Yeah, I understand what you mean Garrrry, but, ffs.........putting your feelings in an email?
Regardless of the intended receipiant, writing it down? making a record of your innermost thoughts? and then sending it out into the web?
What where you thinking? Don't you understand what emails are?

If he's innocent then, I imagine, that this would be pretty easy to prove. There would be an electronic record of when and where this email originated, surely. Equally it should be easy enough to say where Cook was at the time.

If he did send it then his goose is cooked, particularly after his denials and statements that a city employee was being disciplined as a consequence.

Last thought, all this happened ten months ago. Ned's mum is bringing this to light now. Something has happened, possibly as a result of the "formal advise" she said she was going to take.

It's going to be hilarious if Cook turns out to be completely innocent.

if that's really her email i can see why he took the piss. she clearly hasn't appeared to be ill or showed any lack of sharpness, nor has she gotten what she wanted so is playing the sympathy card. "my health problems remain entirely confidential, but i'll tell you about them in an embellished and emotionally laden form anyway in the hope that it affects business negotiations in my favour".

PintoMcGuinness wrote:

that basically. and the press have lapped it up.

tbh he appears to be making light of the fact that she is far from ravaged with it and is using it as a negotiation tool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 am 

I agree with Khabom Al Mubarak's analysis in this thread. To suggest he was making fun of the fact that she has cancer is just wrong. He was making fun of her being so tendancy towards being dramatic, which is pretty undeniable - using words like "ravaged" and telling The Sun being picked up on that was worse than being diagnosed with cancer...

I was gonna say I'd like to see the rest of the email she sent them. For Cook (or the hacker :whistle:) to say to Marwood "you used to be such a nice man" it suggests she was being quite accusational and using her illness in the bargaining negotiations. His response was exactly what would go through my mind if I was in the same position. Where he falls down is his stupidity in a) sending it to Ned's mum and b) not coming up with a better explanation in 10 months that the hacker thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 am 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
she sold the story to the sun,

lie

Quote:
she tried to use her illness as leverage in contract negotiations.

lie

Quote:
yes, the email is in poor taste, but offensive? really? is it just me that thinks this is a fuss over fuck all? i'd take the piss out of someone who used that turn of phrase tbh.

i'm not a fan of garrrrrrrrrry but the fuck up here is "reply to all" not "reply to brian." if anything he's taking the piss out of brian for not being soft in negotiations because he's dealing with someone with cancer.

It's fairly lame, but it's hardly behaviour befitting of a CEO or whatever he is, especially one who's been "removed from public duties" or whatever it was Khaldoon did with him. You'd think he'd been a bit more tactful/careful. I'm pretty sure most people in offices up and down the country would be in for disciplinary action if they'd sent something similar on their work email. Be interesting to see what the arabs do from here. They've gone to some lengths to distance themselves from anything that could be construed as being damaging to the image of the club/Abu Dhabi.

Garrrrry's biggest fuck up here is all this "I was hacked. It was an employee, they've already been disciplined" bullshit. The only way he'll get out of it is if the arabs let him put a stooge up and say "it was him!".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:00 am 

South East Citizen wrote:
I agree with Khabom Al Mubarak's analysis in this thread. To suggest he was making fun of the fact that she has cancer is just wrong. He was making fun of her being so tendancy towards being dramatic, which is pretty undeniable - using words like "ravaged" and telling The Sun being picked up on that was worse than being diagnosed with cancer...

I was gonna say I'd like to see the rest of the email she sent them. For Cook (or the hacker :whistle:) to say to Marwood "you used to be such a nice man" it suggests she was being quite accusational and using her illness in the bargaining negotiations. His response was exactly what would go through my mind if I was in the same position. Where he falls down is his stupidity in a) sending it to Ned's mum and b) not coming up with a better explanation in 10 months that the hacker thing.

It's really his stupidity in putting anything like this in an email and sending it anywhere. Emails are permenant records and a man in his position ought to know better.

Even if he doesn't make the "reply to...." mistake and the email goes to Marwood. Now Marwood has a permenant record that he can use when he falls out with Cook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:05 am 

Bastard wrote:
lie

lie

It's fairly lame, but it's hardly behaviour befitting of a CEO or whatever he is, especially one who's been "removed from public duties" or whatever it was Khaldoon did with him. You'd think he'd been a bit more tactful/careful. I'm pretty sure most people in offices up and down the country would be in for disciplinary action if they'd sent something similar on their work email. Be interesting to see what the arabs do from here. They've gone to some lengths to distance themselves from anything that could be construed as being damaging to the image of the club/Abu Dhabi.

Garrrrry's biggest fuck up here is all this "I was hacked. It was an employee, they've already been disciplined" bullshit. The only way he'll get out of it is if the arabs let him put a stooge up and say "it was him!".

As I said I'm all for that if they can come up with the money. :)

Haven't heard back from the Abu Dhabi yet. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next