Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Munich Chanting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:12 am 

Boring :whistle:

Manchester City will hold a series of behind-the-scenes meetings to determine an appropriate response to last night's repeated chants referring to the Munich air crash by supporters at Blackburn last night.

The Blues hierarchy have resisted the temptation to issue a knee-jerk response, preferring instead to adopt a measured approach to a particularly tricky problem.

Chief executive Garry Cook is acutely aware the club have worked tirelessly to eradicate such chanting in recent times and have taken out banning orders against supporters caught on camera making aeroplane gestures, in reference to the crash in February 1958 when 20 people, including eight Manchester United players, died following a refuelling stop in Munich.

However, there remains a section of the City support who are undeterred by such action, which some going on-line last night to defend their use of the term "Munichs" as a collective to describe United supporters as a whole, arguing it is not an offensive term.

In a week when an emotional film highlighted what happened that fateful day was shown by the BBC - which in itself drew stinging criticism from the family of former United boss Sir Matt Busby - the chants are only going to fuel ill-feeling between the two Manchester clubs, who are on track to meet in next season's Community Shield curtain-raiser at Wembley in August.

City's discussions seem certain to result in further calls to end chanting relating to the Munich crash, in the hope it can be avoided when they take part in the FA Cup final against Stoke on May 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am 

North Stand Blue wrote:
Boring :whistle:

Manchester City will hold a series of behind-the-scenes meetings to determine an appropriate response to last night's repeated chants referring to the Munich air crash by supporters at Blackburn last night.

The Blues hierarchy have resisted the temptation to issue a knee-jerk response, preferring instead to adopt a measured approach to a particularly tricky problem.

Chief executive Garry Cook is acutely aware the club have worked tirelessly to eradicate such chanting in recent times and have taken out banning orders against supporters caught on camera making aeroplane gestures, in reference to the crash in February 1958 when 20 people, including eight Manchester United players, died following a refuelling stop in Munich.

However, there remains a section of the City support who are undeterred by such action, which some going on-line last night to defend their use of the term "Munichs" as a collective to describe United supporters as a whole, arguing it is not an offensive term.

In a week when an emotional film highlighted what happened that fateful day was shown by the BBC - which in itself drew stinging criticism from the family of former United boss Sir Matt Busby - the chants are only going to fuel ill-feeling between the two Manchester clubs, who are on track to meet in next season's Community Shield curtain-raiser at Wembley in August.

City's discussions seem certain to result in further calls to end chanting relating to the Munich crash, in the hope it can be avoided when they take part in the FA Cup final against Stoke on May 14

the only bit i care about.

maybe if the rags, as well as publicising and doing an annual commemoration of the event, would also admit that they acted like c nts and kicked out the dead players families from the club owned houses then city fans would feel it was less of a milking exercise and lay off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:31 am 

I wonder how much money made from the admission charge to the memorial museum or from the sale of kiddies commerotive duvets goes to the survivors and families?

They can fuck off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 am 

I wonder if they have any Hillsborough songs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:38 am 

... or making hissing noises at Eyal Berkovic at Old Trafford....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:40 am 

slart wrote:
... or making hissing noises at Eyal Berkovic at Old Trafford....

That was MRAMB tbf...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:50 am 

I understand our reasons for using it and the distinction between the horrible runway song and just referring to them generally as Munichs HOWEVER it is still a term that references a plane crash in which people died and it is a very easy stick to beat City fans with and makes our fans out to be insensitive arseholes, regardless of intent so I'd like to think we could just not. Also makes us out to be obsessed when we're singing about them at a Blackburn game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:01 pm 

We shouldn't be singing those type of songs, anywhere. We should be above all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:09 pm 

i didn't actually notice any munich songs last night though tbh, i did hear the yayayaya toure one mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:33 pm 

You should hear the chav's new chant for Torres, they must have some right creative buggers amongst them tbf:rolleyes:

Also, that Torres banner with the shankly gates on still has pride of place behind the goal:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:38 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
i didn't actually notice any munich songs last night though tbh, i did hear the yayayaya toure one mind.

The yaya toure one says something about sticking it in the munich's net. that's the one we're on about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm 

EalingBlue wrote:
You should hear the chav's new chant for Torres, they must have some right creative buggers amongst them tbf:rolleyes:

Also, that Torres banner with the shankly gates on still has pride of place behind the goal:D

[S]enlighten[/S] depress us...
BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
The yaya toure one says something about sticking it in the munich's net. that's the one we're on about.

ah right, all i could make out was the yayayayayayayaya toure bit. how's the rest of it go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 pm 

"Fernando, Fernando Torres...Chelsea's number 9"

A quality of lyrics not seen since the time of 2Unlimited IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:44 pm 

I thought the Toure one was just the

nah nah nah,
NAH NAH NAH NAH!
NAH NAH NAH NAH
Cityyyyyy

changed to

Ya ya ya,
YA YA YA YA!
YA YA YA YA
Toureeeee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:50 pm 

Since when has being insensitive been a crime? Are people trying to liken the Munich Air Crash to the Holocaust? Get a grip you pansies.

Don't get me wrong I love a bit of right on 'groovy' liberalism but let's not disappear up our own arse.

*looks at BiscuitBlueCheese*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:52 pm 

Who put the ball in the Munich's net
Who put the ball in the Munich's net
Yaya Yaya Toure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm 

Milnerinho wrote:
Since when has being insensitive been a crime? Are people trying to liken the Munich Air Crash to the Holocaust? Get a grip you pansies.

Don't get me wrong I love a bit of right on 'groovy' liberalism but let's not disappear up our own arse.

*looks at BiscuitBlueCheese*

Suck my hairy ballbag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 pm 

gibbonicus_andronicus wrote:
the only bit i care about.

maybe if the rags, as well as publicising and doing an annual commemoration of the event, would also admit that they acted like c nts and kicked out the dead players families from the club owned houses then city fans would feel it was less of a milking exercise and lay off.

what? did they?

Bert Trautmanns neck brace wrote:
We shouldn't be singing those type of songs, anywhere. We should be above all that.

Exactly, no better than the fucking celtic clubs by doing this shit.

At 'our roundabout' at Wembley last week, I saw 45+ year old men, with under 12 yr old sons following rag coaches around the roundabout making wing motions...have a fucking look at yourself you fuckhead. Nearly started a fight myself.

I have in the past used the term munich, further to that I have rag friends who refer to other reds or themselves as munichs. I think there is a difference between making fun of death and accepting nicknames. Like my red headed mate who calls himself CT, short for 'carrot top'. Or Pakistani people who refer to themselves as Paki. In fairness, the last one would never happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 pm 

BiscuitBlueCheese wrote:
Suck my hairy ballbag.

Nom nom nom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm 

Danny's Studs wrote:
Or Pakistani people who refer to themselves as Paki. In fairness, the last one would never happen.

Pretty sure I know a few who do.