Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 pm 

Location: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/man_city/70975/john-guidetti-scores-a-belter-for-man-city-reserves-video.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am 

MANCHESTER CITY are on the verge of scrapping their reserve team.

City currently have what’s called an Elite Development Squad, a side of mainly under-21s in the Barclays Premier Reserve League North.

But City chiefs feel it will be more beneficial to follow the route Tottenham have taken, and next season will instead loan out all their top young players.

City finished second to Manchester United in their reserve section last season but it’s felt that the players need to play a higher standard of football to make an impact in their first-team squad.

Executives Brian Marwood and Garry Cook are away on holiday, but once they return the subject will be one of their top priorities for discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:28 am 

It's a shame they can't just compete as a team at a lower level, akin to the Spanish system. This way they can play together, develop and enter the first team together. Apparently even the kids teams at Barcelona have the first team training methods and regimes etc to make any future step up seamless

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 am 

I don't really like the idea tbh of scrapping the reserves, whats to say we loan out players and they will get a game, ala Weiss and Bolton, didn't get many chances and i wouldn't loan him back to Scotland. Weiss, Guidetti, Nimely and a few others if loaned out could possibly go to QPR or Norwich or a West Brom say, still gaing PL expereince for the Future.

I realise with where we are going that the Future at our club look a bit slim for some of our younger players but we could have a few diamonds in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:37 am 

These players have left the club.

Scott Kay, Shaleum Logan, James Poole, Andrew Tutte, Javan Vidal.

Pretty surprised By Poole as i seen him play last month and thought he looked a good prospect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:40 am 

Think this is going to be the norm, unfortunately but when was the last time anyone came through the academy/reserves and made it as a first team regular?

i hope you are keeping well and ok. forgive my curiousity but have you come here to say poo? i'll be waiting for your response

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 am 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
Think this is going to be the norm, unfortunately but when was the last time anyone came through the academy/reserves and made it as a first team regular?

boyata, wabara?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:52 am 

O Blue wrote:
boyata, wabara?

Wouldn't call him a regular. More a cup game player

One appearance?!?

cheers,

shim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 am 

NoddytheAdlingtonBlue wrote:
Wouldn't call him a regular. More a cup game player

One appearance?!?

one appearance for now... hasn't he just signed a new contract?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:57 am 

Young Manchester City guns taking the fast route

Stuart Brennan

June 10, 2011

The route taken by Manchester City’s new owners when they first came to Manchester in 2008 has become part of Blue legend.

New chairman Khaldoon al Mubarak might have been expected to throw open the doors of the City of Manchester Stadium, like the new gunslinger in town.

But, apart from the fact such showmanship is not the urbane City chairman’s style, the reality that he visited the club’s academy at the Platt Lane complex en route to the stadium was highly symbolic.

From day one, Khaldoon promised that the people he represented, Sheikh Mansour and the rest of the City board, had the academy down as a key element in the development of the club.

And, while a staggering £325m has been spent on bringing in the kind of talent which has pushed the Blues into the elite of English football, the investment in the academy has been more low-profile but just as significant.

With Uefa’s financial fair play rules about to start biting next season, the nurturing of home-grown talent becomes more vital than ever.

Not that City have ever needed a prod in that regard – Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joey Barton, Dedryck Boyata, Daniel Sturridge, Micah Richards, Stephen Ireland, Michael Johnson and Nedum Onuoha are all testimony to that fact.

Now the Blues are busy preparing the next wave of youngsters to try their luck in the first team next season.

One of the reasons Mark Hughes got the sack at City was his unwillingness to give young players a break. He felt that in a crucial season, experience was the way forward.

Roberto Mancini was briefed that he was expected to give young talent its head – and his first match in charge, the Boxing Day win over Stoke in 2009, saw Dedryck Boyata and Javan Vidal on the substitutes’ bench.

Age no barrier

Mancini went on to blood Boyata, Greg Cunningham, Abdi Ibrahim and Alex Nimely that season, and has again shown this season that age is no barrier, even though competition for first-team places gets tougher with every cheque written.

Those young players will have an exciting new challenge next season, with the inaugural NextGen Series beginning in September, a kind of Champions League for under-19 players.

City have been drawn in a group with Barcelona, Celtic and Marseille – with all matches to be played at first-team stadiums – and the six-month competition will build to a final in January.

The new competition will give young City talents like Abdul Razak, Freddie Veseli and Harry Bunn the chance to shine on an international stage, as well as playing at stadiums like the Nou Camp, San Siro, Celtic Park and Anfield.

But the older City players may be farmed out on loan next season, with the possibility that the elite development team may be scrapped.

City have a number of youngsters who are expected to push for first-team football in the next two seasons, including Israeli ace Gai Assulin, whose first season with the Blues was disrupted by injury.

Then there is 18-year-old Spanish youth international Joan Angel Roman, a sumptuously-talented attacking midfielder, whose 17-year-old countryman Denis Suarez has already been secured from Celta Vigo in a £1m move.

French under-17 winger Jeremy Helan, 18-year-old Ivorian Razak and Veseli – a defender who captained Switzerland to the Under-17 World Cup – are other names to watch. Then there is Bunn, son of former Oldham striker and City coach Frankie, named academy scholar of the year last season after a prolific season which saw him break into the elite development team.

With Boyata, Ibrahim and Nimely all a year older and ready to step up their challenge, the conveyor belt of talent is still chugging along at Carrington and Platt Lane. But Mancini has demanded a better output.

Khaldoon said at the end of the season: “We have continued to invest in the academy and brought on a lot of talent this year. The reserves finished second this year.

“I am very optimistic, especially with some of the talents brought in over the last 12 months.

“The academy continues to go from strength to strength.

“This is always going to be a priority. You need a successful academy.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:35 pm 

Mee goes on loan to Burnley.

He's 21 and doesn't seem like he's developing into a senior squad member for City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:57 pm 

O Blue wrote:
Mee goes on loan to Burnley.

He's 21 and doesn't seem like he's developing into a senior squad member for City.

fewer and fewer will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm 

Seats for City's first game in the NextGen Series against Barcelona have been snapped up, but standing tickets are still available to pre-order.

Hyde’s Ewen Fields will host the match at 7pm, 15 September when a young City side will battle it out against their counterparts from Catalonia as part of a group stage that also includes Celtic and Marseilles.

Standing tickets must be purchased in advance, and are only available in person at the box office, above the CityStore at the Etihad Stadium.

Prices are £3 for adults, £1 for concessions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:03 pm 

Senior Cup tie v Bury KO Now.

Johansen, Wabara, Bridge, De Silva, Vesili, Diaz Navarrette, Roman, Hargreaves, Mihajlov, Suarez, Helan

Won 3-1 Razak, Roman and Veseli on the scoresheet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm 

young rags 2 - 4 Manchester City Elite Development Squad

Bunn, Assulin, Elabdellaoui, Hiwula.

:approve:

Post subject: Re: Our reserves
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:45 pm 

Teams:

Manchester City

Lawlor,Wabara, Meppen-Walters, Evans, Kennedy, Tse, Drury, Scapuzzi, Suarez, Tevez, Benali

Subs: Johnson(GK)(T), Hiwula, Leigh, Ruznak, Glendon

Preston North End:

Arestidou, Leather, Wright, Nicholson, Devine, McLean, McLaughlin, Miller, Proctor, Murphy, Smith

Subs: Billington, Comrie, Clucas, McLellan

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:48 pm 

Gallagheresque wrote:
Teams:

Manchester City

Lawlor,Wabara, Meppen-Walters, Evans, Kennedy, Tse, Drury, Scapuzzi, Suarez, Tevez, Benali

Subs: Johnson(GK)(T), Hiwula, Leigh, Ruznak, Glendon

Preston North End:

Arestidou, Leather, Wright, Nicholson, Devine, McLean, McLaughlin, Miller, Proctor, Murphy, Smith

Subs: Billington, Comrie, Clucas, McLellan

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Err :think:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm 

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:53 pm 

This "Clucas" intrigues me, further investigation is needed.

Edit: Damn he plays for PNE, curse my lack of sleep :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:54 pm 

Whose the Tosser Whose the Tosser Whose the Tosser in the Blue! Whose the Tosser in the Blue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next