This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:44 pm 

City fans backing Sven

Sven thanks faithful for backing
Chris Bailey
5/ 5/2008

FURIOUS City fans have turned up the heat in the M.E.N. Sport backed 'Save our Sven' campaign.

And the sacked popular boss, who is maintaining a dignified silence over the whole tawdry affair, has thanked the Blues faithful for their show of support at Anfield.

The sell-out 3,000-strong City contingent who travelled to Liverpool vented their anger at Thaksin Shinawatra's decision to axe manager Eriksson at the end of the season.

Supporters unveiled banners, held up the back page of Friday's M.E.N. and repeatedly chanted his name during the 1-0 defeat.

Eriksson told M.E.N. Sport: "I don't get tired of hearing my name. The fans backing made me emotional. It raised the hairs on the backs of my hand and made me freeze. I thank them all.

"I don't think I have ever felt so popular without winning anything but I have felt their warmth since I arrived at the club. They were magnificent.

"This is not the worst time of my footballing life.

Philosophy

"I have a simple philosophy that if you make what you are saying crystal clear then there will be no speculation but if you are not clear then the speculation grows as if you have thrown
a stone into the water - the ripples keep growing.

"It is important to behave in a proper way and all I want now is to see a great performance next week."

City's travelling Blue army was fully aware that the game was being beamed live to Thailand where the club owner Shinawatra, an avid watcher, is staying as he fights to clear his name of corruption charges through the courts and unfreeze some £800 million worth of assets.

They will not be happy, unless the owner dramatically changes his mind, about changing a manager that they have taken to their hearts for the way in which he has increased the Blues standing this season - both on and off the pitch.

More than 10,000 City fans have already signed an online petition condemning chairman Shinawatra's plans to ditch Eriksson after what has been the club's best-ever season in terms of points in Premier League history.

The Blues laid on extra security for their board members who travelled to Anfield.

One of the sustained chants from the City fans was a rousing rendition of `We don't want no Phil Scolari; We don't want no Mourinho; Hey Thaksin; leave our Sven alone' sung to the tune of Another Brick In The Wall by Pink Floyd.

There were several Sweden flags and other banners with `Save our Sven' while others wore specially printed T-shirts proclaiming the same sentiment.

Shinawatra's top Thai aide Pairoj Piempongsant was amongst those in attendance on Merseyside to hear prolonged chanting of the City manager's name from the loyal travelling fans in the Anfield Road End.

What do you think? Have your say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 12:56 pm 

Good chant. Did it actually get sung by more than half a dozen people though?

Anyone go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:09 pm 

Watched the game on Sky - the fans were loud and were a credit once again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:29 pm 

slart wrote:
Watched the game on Sky - the fans were loud and were a credit once again.

agreed and Any Gray a complete tosser!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:31 pm 

Bastard wrote:
Good chant. Did it actually get sung by more than half a dozen people though?

Anyone go?

Yeah it did, could hear it loud and clear on Sky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:13 pm 

The atmosphere and the fans were superb. Could here them loud and clear over the famous "Anfield Atmosphere". A credit to both the club and Sven.
S.O.S

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:12 pm 

All I hope is that we will see sven as a coach for next season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:13 pm 

MCFC_Boss wrote:
All I hope is that we will see sven as a coach for next season.

I reckon we will.

For Benfica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:24 pm 

Sven unsure over future

by Alex Livie, 05 May 2008

Sven Goran Eriksson is convinced Manchester City are a team on the up, but is unsure he will be around to see the project through.

The Swede’s future is shrouded in doubt despite exceeding owner Thaksin Shinawatra’s pre-season expectations.

Shinawatra had called for a top-ten finish and that has been delivered despite a slump in form in the final weeks of the season.

It would appear that Eriksson has been a victim of his early-season success and he is unsure if he will be at the helm next term.

The Eastlands faithful have shown their support for Eriksson, but their feelings are unlikely to make any difference to the Swede’s situation.

"The support for me was fantastic, of course it is. It makes me stand up from the bench a lot but I can do that, no problem,” said the former England manager.

"It was fantastic, of course I am thankful. They have been fantastic all season, incredible.

"Maybe it will not affect things, I don't know. But we have one week to go until the season is finished. But I would appreciate it if people would accept that we will start talking after that."

Eriksson believes his fate will be sealed before the end of the month, as he added: "I expect to know what will happen after the last match. If you speak clearly to people, the situation will come out. If you do not speak clearly, it will not. We can wait a week. That is not a long time.

"I think we have done a good job. Before the season started we did not really know what would happen, and how the new players would react to The Premier League.

"We started well and we were high in the table and the dream of all of us was about Europe. Now that is finished.

"But to finish where we are is good. We are a very young team, a lot of young players, and they will be better next season.

"The reason I accepted Manchester City was the project. It was a big club, but it was not doing too well. It is fantastic to build up something new, something better.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:07 pm 

I'm pretty convinced Sven will be off now. I think we have swallow our pride and accept that it's going to happen.

I may well be wrong and i hope i am but i think it's almost certain now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:53 am 

Surely it must show Shinawatra, that he would be making a big mistake or does this not really bother him!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:57 am 

sven hasnt done much in the last couple of games to show thaksin that he is going to be missing much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:38 am 

ive just been reading an interview with keegan when he was saying basically it is impossible to catch up with the top four. because even if he was given all the money he wanted, then he wouldnt be able to attract players as good as theirs without being able to offer champs league football.

and i was thinking maybe shinawatra is thinking this also, that you can keep buying good players, buying promising young players and can improve your club a certain amount. but can that ever seriously get you in contection at the top? sure maybe one season you might sneak into fourth place if one team has a poor season. but i think you have to be consistently up there to truley catch up.

maybe shinawatra feels there may be a way to break it though and ronaldinho being a part of that. if by attracting, and sure taking a risk, but getting a big name that isnt on top of his game and marketing that, with enough money this could work to getting top quality players, it is not a good way to do it and a lot of money will be wasted. i think everyone would prefer to grow into a big club with young players, but wont these good young players just be taken by clubs regulaly playing in europe eventually? it is an ugly way of trying to make the club successful, but i dont think there is much pretty in football any more.

does this make sense? dont think i put my point across very well but hopefully you get the jist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:11 am 

Hasn't taken long for Frank to undo all his hard work last summer in wooing the City fan base. Players, fans and even the media think he's off his head. What a tosser.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:57 pm 

que sera sera.
There's cock all we can do, lets just support the club through thick and thin.
I've come to terms with everythin now. Although it doesn't thrill me at all, it's the start of a new chapter, so lets see where we are taken

Have you got nothing better to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:49 pm 

Still its okay, looks like we are interested in the Spitty man:rolleyes:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:10 pm 

Is it just me that thinks even though Shinawatra is going to sack Sven the guy does have a point and no matter what happens regarding the club it is going to look bad on Shinawatras part. Our pityful performance against Liverpool last Sunday was partly blamed on the disruption of our situation and players not being fully focused. Does this mean that some of our players have psychic abilities and can see in the future because if we are such a great side under Sven why were we so rubbish against Fulham(h), Birmingham(a), Derby(a), Reading(a), Bolton (a), Wigan (h+a)? He has also been criticised for not having a real excuse for sacking Sven as Sven has helped us make a vast improvement on last season. Last season we conceded 44 goals, this season with the addition of 2 defenders worth a combined £10 Million we have conceded more. This season we have scored 15 more goals than last. However we have spent OVER £35 Million on midfielders and strikers. Money well spent?? We have also only won 5 of the last 20 league games. I have to be honest on reflection, as the season has gone on especially since the turn of the year our performances have not been great to say the least. Therefore if we do bring in world cup winning coach 'Big Phil' Scolari and Ronaldinho (youve got to be honest Barcelona are not the same team without him) I for 1 will be very optimistic for next season. I also think it needs to be brought to some peoples attention who want refunds on next seasons season tickets, that last season when you renewed we were in turmoil as we were both managerless and broke whilst now we are only changing our manager to a guy who won the world cup with Brazil so guarantees us some attcking football with the crazy thought of playing two up front and we have a chairman who is willing to spend more money on new players. Seems to me that people asking for refunds are a bit crazy and narrow minded because if it wasnt for Shinawtra, Sven wouldnt of looked at us twice and he would of laughed at our job offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:26 pm 

Paulmcfc wrote:
Is it just me that thinks even though Shinawatra is going to sack Sven the guy does have a point and no matter what happens regarding the club it is going to look bad on Shinawatras part. Our pityful performance against Liverpool last Sunday was partly blamed on the disruption of our situation and players not being fully focused. Does this mean that some of our players have psychic abilities and can see in the future because if we are such a great side under Sven why were we so rubbish against Fulham(h), Birmingham(a), Derby(a), Reading(a), Bolton (a), Wigan (h+a)? He has also been criticised for not having a real excuse for sacking Sven as Sven has helped us make a vast improvement on last season. Last season we conceded 44 goals, this season with the addition of 2 defenders worth a combined £10 Million we have conceded more. This season we have scored 15 more goals than last. However we have spent OVER £35 Million on midfielders and strikers. Money well spent?? We have also only won 5 of the last 20 league games. I have to be honest on reflection, as the season has gone on especially since the turn of the year our performances have not been great to say the least. Therefore if we do bring in world cup winning coach 'Big Phil' Scolari and Ronaldinho (youve got to be honest Barcelona are not the same team without him) I for 1 will be very optimistic for next season. I also think it needs to be brought to some peoples attention who want refunds on next seasons season tickets, that last season when you renewed we were in turmoil as we were both managerless and broke whilst now we are only changing our manager to a guy who won the world cup with Brazil so guarantees us some attcking football with the crazy thought of playing two up front and we have a chairman who is willing to spend more money on new players. Seems to me that people asking for refunds are a bit crazy and narrow minded because if it wasnt for Shinawtra, Sven wouldnt of looked at us twice and he would of laughed at our job offer.

Possibly one of the best first posts ever. Well balanced opinion there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:06 pm 

Badger wrote:
Possibly one of the best first posts ever. Well balanced opinion there.

Concurrage with that. Good work noob. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:10 pm 

Benny wrote:
Concurrage with that. Good work noob. :)

Maybe use Paragraphs next time though :)

Plus, is he hinting he wants SP back as we conceeded less?:rolleyes: