Manchester City Forums

This is a discussion forum for Manchester City Football Club fans
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:36 pm 

Barna Azul wrote:
Maybe use Paragraphs next time though :)

Plus, is he hinting he wants SP back as we conceeded less?:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip :). Im not hinting at that i just think that what Sven has done for the club considering he had £50 Million to spend has been over exaggerated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:07 pm 

Paulmcfc wrote:
Is it just me that thinks even though Shinawatra is going to sack Sven the guy does have a point and no matter what happens regarding the club it is going to look bad on Shinawatras part. Our pityful performance against Liverpool last Sunday was partly blamed on the disruption of our situation and players not being fully focused. Does this mean that some of our players have psychic abilities and can see in the future because if we are such a great side under Sven why were we so rubbish against Fulham(h), Birmingham(a), Derby(a), Reading(a), Bolton (a), Wigan (h+a)? He has also been criticised for not having a real excuse for sacking Sven as Sven has helped us make a vast improvement on last season. Last season we conceded 44 goals, this season with the addition of 2 defenders worth a combined £10 Million we have conceded more. This season we have scored 15 more goals than last. However we have spent OVER £35 Million on midfielders and strikers. Money well spent?? We have also only won 5 of the last 20 league games. I have to be honest on reflection, as the season has gone on especially since the turn of the year our performances have not been great to say the least. Therefore if we do bring in world cup winning coach 'Big Phil' Scolari and Ronaldinho (youve got to be honest Barcelona are not the same team without him) I for 1 will be very optimistic for next season. I also think it needs to be brought to some peoples attention who want refunds on next seasons season tickets, that last season when you renewed we were in turmoil as we were both managerless and broke whilst now we are only changing our manager to a guy who won the world cup with Brazil so guarantees us some attcking football with the crazy thought of playing two up front and we have a chairman who is willing to spend more money on new players. Seems to me that people asking for refunds are a bit crazy and narrow minded because if it wasnt for Shinawtra, Sven wouldnt of looked at us twice and he would of laughed at our job offer.

Very well balanced opinion but i firmly believe that the Shinawatra antics aren't to do with football.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:30 pm 

bigdavecox90 wrote:
Surely it must show Shinawatra, that he would be making a big mistake or does this not really bother him!?

I don't think this is something that bother him at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:54 pm 

Paulmcfc wrote:
Thanks for the tip :). Im not hinting at that i just think that what Sven has done for the club considering he had £50 Million to spend has been over exaggerated.

£50m to build an enitre new team is not much money at all. It's a hell of an achievement that we are even top half with such low spending, considering the season before we were about two players better than being a championship side.

Watch the money the promoted teams spend this year and at least one of them will still get relegated, probably two of them, and maybe all three. If they spend £50m they won't acheive what we have. And we weren't too different to them this time last year.

Then take into account the short amount of time (i think it was about a month) that Sven had to put that team together and get them playing together and all it shows is that he has done a wonderful job. If we had started shit and improved into ninth we'd be amazed at the season, even if we had just middled out instead of having one great half and one shit half to the season, instead of hitting the ground running too fast, then we'd be delighted.

Now all of a sudden everyone has gotten over their inital anger and is looking for reasons to justify Thaksins decision.

I know this post completely ignores the negatives of the season, like Svens refusal to change tactics, but for taking us to where we are from where we were this point last season...the job Sven has done can't be overstated.

Plus, maybe if he hadn't had Bojinov injured three games in then i firmly believe he would have been partenered with Bianchi. You only have to look at how much money he spent on them to realise that he wasn't intending either of them as a substitute. So given that he had to manage all season on what you might term "plan b", he hasn't done too badly really.

Basically what i'm saying is...you're wrong :)